• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

I have many different USB2 boxes (enclosures) to host different 2"5 IDE hard disks.
For normal usage of storing data, no explicit problems found, they are all recognized (plug-and-play) and have a drive letter under XP/Vista.
But for BIOS boot point of view, there is a difference I found with one box. This box (regardless of what kind of HDD put inside) is seen in
one BIOS (Phoenix) as removable, instead of USB HDD (note: my USB keys are always seen as USB HDD, which is good).
Being seen as removable, of course this HDD cannot be booted (MBR presence, while BIOS did not expect this).
Curiously this HDD could be partitioned without any problem or error message under hard disk manager of XP.
Partition magic 8 however issued error message about invalid partition table (which was for me at this time incoherent since XP hard disk manager
did not have any problem handling this disk, and I can do any read/write to the disk).

This problem caused lot of investigation hours because I thinked the HDD was faulty, while in fact it is only the problem of the USB enclosure and BIOS.

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:47 AM

Yes, it depends on the USB controller inside the case, or to be more accurate, on the settings the manufacturer chose.

The situation should be exactly the same as that of USB sticks, see here:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=15776

Though this is VERY strange:

Curiously this HDD could be partitioned without any problem or error message under hard disk manager of XP.

With a bit of luck, knowing exact make/model of controller and USB ID, you may be able to find the manufacturer utility or "Mass Production Tool" in order to "flip" the removable bit.

jaclaz

#3 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

In my experience different BIOs like different USB controllers (in the storage device)

So, your Bobotronik motherboard might not like your Squeezgurp USB flash stick. It's really a process of trial and error (unfortunately.)

I've had the best luck with USB storage devices that use real hard drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users