ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

No, it doesn't include all tweaks.

It includes most tweaks that can be made through the GPEDIT.MSC UI.

I suggest you make your own tweaks in GPEDIT.MSC, and then save those POL files. 

There's a filter feature in GPEDIT.MSC that can help you find settings. Use it.

#152 ronen

ronen
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

Just added this bit to the top of the script:

REM *** change all Temp directories to C:\TEMP (environment variables) ***
REM *** NOTE: When running an individual command directly in CMD, use ^%. When running a CMD script file in CMD, use %% ***
md %SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP
reg add "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Environment" /v "TEMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\TEMP /f
reg add "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Environment" /v "TMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\TEMP /f
reg add "HKCU\Environment" /v "TEMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\TEMP /f
reg add "HKCU\Environment" /v "TMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\TEMP /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v "TEMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\TEMP /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v "TMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\TEMP /f
takeown /f %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp /r /d y
icacls %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp /grant Administrators:F /T
rd /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
takeown /f %SystemRoot%\Temp /r /d y
icacls %SystemRoot%\Temp /grant Administrators:F /T
rd /s /q %SystemRoot%\Temp

EDIT: replaced %HOMEDRIVE% with %SYSTEMDRIVE%.

How can i change the temp folder to partition "D"?

#153 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:04 AM

Hi Ronen,

Instead of %SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP, use D:\TEMP.

Also, Instead of %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\TEMP, use D:\TEMP.

#154 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:09 AM

@ ericgl (or anyone that can answer): Your OP in this thread says that you are using the N edition of 10 Enterprise LTSB (no Windows Media Player or other media features built in). I am from the US but am considering installing either LTSB or N LTSB, mainly because I don't care for the Metro apps, MS account, etc, I just need a stripped down version of 10 that is as small as possible and stable and runs as a desktop OS should. I could care less about not getting new features if the OS has good performance and stability. It ocurred to me that the N edition is probably even more stripped down than the regular LTSB version. I want as small a footprint as possible.

So what I need to know is: If I install LTSB N then will US English be available as both the system/interface language, as well as the QWERTY keyboard layout? I assume QWERTY is default, but would rather not get stuck using something like a UK version of English (since the N editions are primarily for Europe).

Thanks in advance!

#155 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

AnonVendetta,

If you download the Win10 LTSB N en-US x64 version, then of course you'll get en-US as the interface language, and the keyboard layout!
And just like any Windows version, you'll be able to add additional keyboards, if you'd like.

But if you're after a slimmed-down version of Win10, you have several options:
1. Get the Win10 Enterprise LTSB N version, and use WinToolkit (by legolash) to slim it down further.
2. Get the Win10 IoT version, which is already supposed to be sliimed-down.
3. Download the Win10PE_SE project (by ChrisR and JFX), and use it to create a very small WinPE which is very customizable. You'll need to use a source ISO, such as Win10 Enterprise LTSB N.
I created one for myself and customized the hell out of it, and the WIM file weighs only 540MB. Boots on a modern laptop in less than a minute off of a USB flash drive.

#156 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

@ ericgl: Thanks for the response. I mainly get my 10 ISOs from famed leak group WZOR/W.Z.T. Example:

https://cloud.mail.r...rom MSDN (RTM)/

and

https://cloud.mail.r...4Ra6/Htrw879o2/

I think the filename titled "en_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_6848316.iso" would be the US English edition. But it makes no sense why an N edition would have en-US as the primary language, since N is targeted at European nations.

I'm aware of WinToolkit, I've used it to integrate updates into Win7 ISOs in the past. But as far as using it to remove stuff, ehh, well, seems potentially problematic if not done carefully. I'll have to look into it more.

I dont think the IoT version of 10 will be suitable for me, it seems too slimmed down, and could be missing essential things I need. I mainly use my laptop for personal stuff, ex. gaming, Office, Web, dabbling in programming, basically general usage. I feel that I need a relatively slim version of 10 but dont give a shit about Metro apps, MS account, etc. I use my laptop as a traditional desktop, not as a tablet. LTSB is slim and seems to fit the bill.

In regards to the tweaks, I could swear you published an extremely long PDF about this, but I deleted it. Is it still available? (I already have the docx from the first post).

#157 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

@ ericgl: I just finished installing the LTSB N edition. It is indeed in US English and I haven't had to change any language/keyboard settings. I can't see any difference of it vs the non-N/regular editions of Windows, apart from Windows Media Player being missing and a few other things. It is very clean, I'm pleased that things like Cortana, Metro apps, etc, aren't present. And to my surprise Explorer doesn't hang at all, which is an issue I had with all other versions of 10 I had installed. Resource consumption is quite low. This is definitely a keeper. It's the way Windows 8 should have been from the very beginning, it's too bad 10 had to come along to (mostly) make things right. Next I'll have to try installing drivers and programs and see how things hold up from there.

Can you think of any other components I can safely remove without screwing up the system? 3 Metro apps, OneDrive and Windows Defender seem to be prime candidates (all of which are present in the N edition).

#158 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

There`s a lot of stuff you can tweak and remove from Win10. Some Metro apps can be removed only using a special app (DISM will not let you remove them without it)...I forgot its name, but it was also created by Legolash.
Good luck with your Windows 10 endeavors.

#159 Shamoy

Shamoy
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hey, I've been working on a project with a very similar philosophy to yours and its based off LTSB N x64 version. I've removed OneDrive, eliminated the libraries from the navigation pane, disabled Windows Defender, and made an organized folder structure under Quick Access, and now I want to shave off an extra 2-3 GB from its current ~12GB install size. I removed Internet Explorer, replaced it with Chromium, installed VLC Media Player, and 7-Zip. I've decided to call this version Windows 10 Mint. It comes with Windows Store and only two Metro apps, the Win10 Calculator and Win10 Photos app which are really are the only desirable Metro apps over their Windows 7 counterparts. My plan is to sysprep generalize this image and release it to the public as Windows 10 Mint so no one in the world has to install Windows again and can just run this without spending hours to configure stuff. Perhaps we could merge our projects together by implementing your scripts into Windows 10 Mint.  :)

#160 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Hello Shamoy,

Welcome to reboot.pro.

PM sent. Please check your inbox.

Anyway you choose to proceed, I wish you the best of luck.
If you'd still like to collaborate with me on this matter, I'd be more than happy to.

Cheers :cheers:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win10, windows 10, script, tweaks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users