#26 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

Thanks jaclaz for your recommendation for using the partnew command, however that ended up messing my partition table up and the flash drive was no longer recongnized :) . That pointed me to the --in-situ command which I have now put in place of partnew and it works just as great, I got Bartpe and Vistape booting just fine!

GOOD. :(

I re-read ilko's post about rebuilding the ubcd.iso with the grub4dos components, replaced menus and removed isolinux & syslinux and what not and fixed my menu.lst exactly to ilko's post.

I can't figure it out as I deleted the isolinux folder, is there anything I need to change in the boot folder on the root of the iso?

No you did not. :(

Did you edit the existing .iso with some tool?:)

Or you actually followed ilko's post and REBUILT the .iso from scratch with this mkisofs command? :)

mkisofs -R -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -allow-lowercase -o ubcd411.iso d:\ubcd411

What the heck is the (hd0,4) in your screenshot? :)

jaclaz

#27 basnet2

basnet2

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

Ok, your correct I did not make the iso with the mkisofs command, rather I used magiciso to edit the original, I will tried the command supplied and couldn't get it to work, will monkey with it later.

The (hd0,4) I assume is grub showing that it found & set root to the partition where UBCD is on.

#28 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

I am lost. :cheers:

Can you re-cap in a single post what you are trying to do, the contents of your current menu.lst, a brief list of what you have in what (I mean stick, iso image, whatever ) and the contents of the menus you are calling through configfile? ;)

If you still have this:
title		Ultimate Boot CD

root		(hd0,4)

configfile	 /menus/main.cfg
grldr is not "finding and setting root" anything, it simply does what you told it to do, i.e. to ROOT to hd 0.4

jaclaz

#29 basnet2

basnet2

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

Alright. well here it is... I am creating a multiboot USB flashdrive with room for my data on it too. I have it partitioned into a large primary for data, a small one for grub4dos, and a logical broken into 4 smaller partitions 1 each for UBCD Bartpe Vistape and Backtrack 3. Here is my most recent menu.lst:

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

title		Ultimate Boot CD

find		--set-root  /ubcd411.iso

map		/ubcd411.iso (hd32)

map		--hook

root		(hd32)

chainloader	(hd32)

title		BartPE

root		(hd0,6)

map		--in-situ (hd0,6)+1 (hd0)

map		--hook

map		--harddrives=1

chainloader	(hd0,6)/NTLDR

title		VistaPE

root		(hd0,7)

map		--in-situ (hd0,7)+1 (hd0)

map		--hook

map		--harddrives=1

chainloader	(hd0,7)/BOOTMGR

title		Backtrack 3

root		(hd0,5)

kernel		/boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/ram0 rw initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc

initrd 		/boot/initrd.gz

Everything is booting fine except for UBCD. I tried modifying the iso with ilko's directions using magiciso in windows, when that was done it produced the error screen above ^^ by booting from iso. So now I am trying to use the mkisofs command but I am getting stuck on an error saying "Uh Oh, I cant find the boot image 'grldr'!" I have searched and apparently it is just a directory problem but I have put grldr in the same folder as the ubcd411.iso and still no avail :cheers:

mkisofs -R -b ./grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -allow-lowercase -o ./ubcdfinal.iso ./ubcd411.iso

I am using the original ubcd411.iso for the mkisofs command, this is correct right? I shouldn't be using the one I modified?

The configfiles, how I understand it now, will be called from within the iso after grub mounts the modified UBCD iso. So the only configfiles used are as ilko posted.

#30 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

Extract ubcd411.iso to d:\ubcd411 as in the example.
Replace MENUS folder, put grldr, grub.exe, memdisk and the downloaded menu.lst in d:\ubcd411, delete syslinux, isolinux folders and boot.catalog, and rebuild the ISO:
mkisofs -R -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -allow-lowercase -o ubcd411_new.iso d:\ubcd411
mkisofs.exe is in d:\

Do not attempt other steps or change anything. Make sure you understand what is what, then amend per your needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users