219 replies to this topic

#51 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

@Hive
I don't see how this should be possible, as the ability to run gui programs has been removed from PicoXP.
Sound, USB, Firewire, ... also do not work.

@g_BonE
Why do you wanna do it so complicated?
You don't need a PE to install a XP from a usb-dtick. You can boot XP-install directly from your stick as you normaly do from CD. You just have to adopt eighter the boot sector or setupldr.bin.

btw As far as i know install of XP from a PE does not really work, if i remember Nuno right.

:cheers:

#52 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:07 AM

I dont know the possibilities nor the limitation of Pico. It was just an idea.
I must be thinking of the other project from a while back that was small small build from Draugen
called micrope. He never had a chance to finish it.

#53 g_BonE

g_BonE

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

medevil: could you point me to some ressources on how i would setup my pendrive for just that task ?

edit: might be these links here ?

http://www.boot-land...?...2&hl=makebs

http://www.msfn.org/...B...html&st=400

now for me to understand i'd still need a step by step tutorial or somesuch on how i'd get a xp install started from my pendrive

#54 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

Seems that i jaclaz already gave you some good links, which are even automated.
So i guess they are easier to use, even if the tech behind it might be more complicated.

#55 detroit

detroit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

a simple question...
i seem to be pretty newbie but my picoxp doesnt have folder tools and the program starts running some exes like uxp or something and makeiso etc etc...where can i obtain those

#56 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

Download the tools folder from the liveXP project for example and you should have all files needed.

#57 detroit

detroit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

Download the tools folder from the liveXP project for example and you should have all files needed.

ok i'm correcting my last sentence...
I AM newbie... I cant find live xp project. I seem less and less competent nowdays

aah finally....after looking through whole posts i found it thanks nuno :cheers:

eh new problems:
STOP: c000021a (BSOD appears after this virtual xp box pops open)

#58 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

Hmm..

You should post your log.html file here after running the project and we'll be able to take a look to see what is going wrong.

Posted Image

#59 detroit

detroit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:21 AM

hehe you wanted it:D (btw today i didnt even get my qemu wins to start runing, ntldr not found....)
Attached File  log.html   185.41KB   974 downloads

#60 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

That helped.. :cheers:

You're using wb 052 - try a more recent version like wb072 for example, hope this solves this issue.

On the web server tab you should select the picoxp.boot-land.net server to get the latest files from picoXP project.

#61 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Let me add to Nuno's post:

You do not (your project does not) execute basic scripts like creating directories, copying base files etc.
And other scripts, which usually are called internally, are checked for run (EmptyHive, Log)

If you download a newer version, following Nuno's suggestion, before start:

Please check which scripts have to be run!

Usually the download selection is ok!

Peter

#62 detroit

detroit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:36 AM

Let me add to Nuno's post:

You do not (your project does not) execute basic scripts like creating directories, copying base files etc.
And other scripts, which usually are called internally, are checked for run (EmptyHive, Log)

If you download a newer version, following Nuno's suggestion, before start:

Please check which scripts have to be run!

Usually the download selection is ok!

Peter

¸ty both:D now i have to find this web server tab

#63 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:09 PM

No need to worry - it's easy to use.

As alternative you can also download this project from here --> http://winbuilder.ne...load.php?view.4

#64 detroit

detroit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:01 AM

No need to worry - it's easy to use.

As alternative you can also download this project from here --> http://winbuilder.ne...load.php?view.4

wow i've got me an admin guardian angel:D:D thanks. One more question...can i run ghostsrv.exe under pico xp (since it only supports console...i figure ghost32.exe should work but ghostrv is kinda gui program)

#65 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

Try it.. :cheers:

There is a script that will replace shell32.dll with a dummy version (and a few other files) - disable this script and try it this way.

Also helps to make a small "investigation" to see which files are called by your app - use dependency walker to track down these files on a "normal" windows install.

Sorry for not helping further with tests on real machines - I've been a bit busy with other things but your help would be very welcome to let everyone here understand a bit more on what can be improved inside picoXP to add support for these sort of programs.

Thanks! :cheers:

#66 detroit

detroit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:00 PM

Try it.. :cheers:

There is a script that will replace shell32.dll with a dummy version (and a few other files) - disable this script and try it this way.

Also helps to make a small "investigation" to see which files are called by your app - use dependency walker to track down these files on a "normal" windows install.

Sorry for not helping further with tests on real machines - I've been a bit busy with other things but your help would be very welcome to let everyone here understand a bit more on what can be improved inside picoXP to add support for these sort of programs.

Thanks! :cheers:

i'll try as soon as i find some time (being a student on job experience means they're literally tearing me apart with work) currently i'm on windows deployment services in vista pe trying to install a client which is btw whacked console thingy:S

thanks again for the help heh and enjoy the work;)

#67 tonewill

tonewill

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

Hello, Yes I know, I'm a year or so late but I'm using this build to investigate how winbuilder and it's scripting works.

While poking about in "5 - CopyAndExpand.Script" I came across these lines:

If,NotExistFile,#$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers\mouclass.sys#$q,ShellExecute,"hide","expand.exe","#$q%SourceDir%\I386\%drFile%#$q -F:mouhid.sys #$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers#$q"

If,NotExistFile,#$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers\mouclass.sys#$q,ShellExecute,"hide","expand.exe","#$q%SourceDir%\I386\%drFile%#$q -F:mouclass.sys #$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers#$q"

The first line checks if mouclass.sys has been copied and if not found tries to extract mouhid.sys from the cab.
The second like checks for and tries to expand mouclass.sys. So, is that a mistake, should I change the first line to:
If,NotExistFile,#$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers\mouhid.sys... or is it like that for a reason?

I thank thee.

#68 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

Hello, Yes I know, I'm a year or so late but I'm using this build to investigate how winbuilder and it's scripting works.

While poking about in "5 - CopyAndExpand.Script" I came across these lines:

If,NotExistFile,#$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers\mouclass.sys#$q,ShellExecute,"hide","expand.exe","#$q%SourceDir%\I386\%drFile%#$q -F:mouhid.sys #$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers#$q"

If,NotExistFile,#$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers\mouclass.sys#$q,ShellExecute,"hide","expand.exe","#$q%SourceDir%\I386\%drFile%#$q -F:mouclass.sys #$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers#$q"

The first line checks if mouclass.sys has been copied and if not found tries to extract mouhid.sys from the cab.
The second like checks for and tries to expand mouclass.sys. So, is that a mistake, should I change the first line to:
If,NotExistFile,#$q%TargetDir%\i386\system32\drivers\mouhid.sys... or is it like that for a reason?

I thank thee.

:)
This 'unlogic' code is used, because mouclass.sys and mouhid.sys are paired.
If mouclass.sys is missing, both of them have to be copied.

Peter

#69 tonewill

tonewill

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Peter. Actually it won't copy mouhid.sys from my source even though it's there. I can extract it manually if I run expand from the command line though. Anyway, I'm not worried about that as I'm just playing around to find out how it all works at the moment.

One quick follow up if I may, If I use the standard MS shell32 etc. and not the freedos ones, should I then be able to set another shell such as nu2menu? I tried this but it just rebooted. I put nu2menu and it's xml in system32 and changed the start-up command in the registry from cmd.exe to nu2menu.exe. To check I'd added the value properly I loaded setupreg.hiv on my system registry editor and had a look.

Not really important at this stage, just curious.

I thank thee.

#70 lucho

lucho

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hello!

I think that PicoXP is a great project allowing one to run console Win32 applications in Windows NT 5.1 (XP) with the smallest possible cost of only 15 MB.

There is a small issue that CMD.EXE always runs in a 80-column, 25-row window, which occupies slightly more than half of the screen height, thus leaving half of the screen area unused. Moreover, it's impossible to change the window size - even if it's maximised, its size remains the same, the window just moves at the top of the screen. Therefore, my question to the knowledgeable people at this forum and the PicoXP author in the first place is the following:

Is there a way to change the script(s) so that the window automatically starts with a height of not 25 but for example 43 or 50 rows, or ideally, the maximum possible number of rows, that it, occupying the whole screen area, or at least as much of it as possible?

Thanks!
Luchezar

#71 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hello!

I think that PicoXP is a great project allowing one to run console Win32 applications in Windows NT 5.1 (XP) with the smallest possible cost of only 15 MB.

There is a small issue that CMD.EXE always runs in a 80-column, 25-row window, which occupies slightly more than half of the screen height, thus leaving half of the screen area unused. Moreover, it's impossible to change the window size - even if it's maximised, its size remains the same, the window just moves at the top of the screen. Therefore, my question to the knowledgeable people at this forum and the PicoXP author in the first place is the following:

Is there a way to change the script(s) so that the window automatically starts with a height of not 25 but for example 43 or 50 rows, or ideally, the maximum possible number of rows, that it, occupying the whole screen area, or at least as much of it as possible?

Thanks!
Luchezar

Have a look at MSDN.

You have to add to your script (propably that one which defines cmd.exe as shell) some lines like:
RegHiveLoad,"WB-Default","%target_sys%\config\default"

RegWrite,"HKLM","0x4","WB-Default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","ScreenBufferSize","????"

RegWrite,"HKLM","0x4","WB-Default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","WindowSize","????"

RegHiveUnLoad,"WB-Default"

Peter

#72 lucho

lucho

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

Have a look at MSDN.
You have to add to your script (propably that one which defines cmd.exe as shell) some lines like:

RegHiveLoad,"WB-Default","%target_sys%\config\default"

RegWrite,"HKLM","0x4","WB-Default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","ScreenBufferSize","????"

RegWrite,"HKLM","0x4","WB-Default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","WindowSize","????"

RegHiveUnLoad,"WB-Default"
Peter

Thank you! After some trial-and-error, I don't get build errors anymore, but CMD.EXE ignores the register settings for a 80x32 window, staying with a default 80x25 window. Please see the CMD.Script I attached - the lines I added are similar to yours (just in case, they're shown below). Unfortunately QEMU doesn't work with the newest SP3+ XP files (I get a "Your BIOS is not fully ACPI Compliant" error if I try to run the boot image through it) and the real CD burn + real PC boot is a tedious procedure, so I decided to stop my trial-and-error tests. Do I do something wrong, and what can be done to make it honour the register settings?

P.S. The relevant part of the script is shown below. I doubled the entries as I saw that there is a "Console"-only entry in my system.
RegHiveLoad,"WB-default","%TargetDir%\I386\system32\config\default"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console","ScreenBufferSize","0x200050"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","ScreenBufferSize","0x200050"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console","WindowSize","0x200050"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","WindowSize","0x200050"

RegHiveUnLoad,"WB-default"
Lucho

Attached Files

#73 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thank you! After some trial-and-error, I don't get build errors anymore, but CMD.EXE ignores the register settings for a 80x32 window, staying with a default 80x25 window. Please see the CMD.Script I attached - the lines I added are similar to yours (just in case, they're shown below). Unfortunately QEMU doesn't work with the newest SP3+ XP files (I get a "Your BIOS is not fully ACPI Compliant" error if I try to run the boot image through it) and the real CD burn + real PC boot is a tedious procedure, so I decided to stop my trial-and-error tests. Do I do something wrong, and what can be done to make it honour the register settings?

P.S. The relevant part of the script is shown below. I doubled the entries as I saw that there is a "Console"-only entry in my system.

RegHiveLoad,"WB-default","%TargetDir%\I386\system32\config\default"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console","ScreenBufferSize","0x200050"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","ScreenBufferSize","0x200050"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console","WindowSize","0x200050"

RegWrite,HKCU,0x4,"WB-default\Console\%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe","WindowSize","0x200050"

RegHiveUnLoad,"WB-default"
Lucho

Instead HKCU you MUST use HKLM. That is where the hive is mounted to.
Maybe additional: The winbuilder syntax does not accept 0x??? values for RegWrite, and you have convert them to decimal.

Instead of qEmu as emulator you should use VirtualBox. It is freeware, easy to install, much faster and there exist scripts using it.

Peter

#74 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe

What's that suppose to be?
That looks so wrong, i don't even have an expression for it! :poke:

If qemu doesn't work for you, get VirtualBox or VirtualPC both are free and work with XPSP3.

:poke:

edit: Cross posting

#75 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

%SystemRoot%_system32_cmd.exe

What's that suppose to be?
That looks so wrong, i don't even have an expression for it!

Look four posts ago at the link I gave. :poke:
In the navigation tree at the left yous see comething like 'console-window-name'

Peter :poke:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users