Photo
- - - - -

Win7 64Bit What Win7PE Disk Image Backup Recovery Plugins/Tools/Scripts are there?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:12 AM

I'm not sure why you're having such troubles, all I do is download the Win7PE_SE_2010_11_12.7z project, unpack it to C:\Win7PE_SE_2010_11_12, set my source and go! I'm using untouched, retail Win7 (7600) source and running on XP Pro SP2 and my WAIK is version 6.1.7600 but I don't believe WAIK is required at all for this project. I don't need to change any setting or supply additional files etc. to get a working build. Same when building on Win7 (x64) and using Win7 Ultimate or Enterprise sources (x86/64). The only standout is the language, can't say because I only have English to test.

If not already said, turn off anti-virus running in background as it causes nothing but trouble and avoid using any virtual hardware for building.

#27 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

Ok I will revert back to a system image before I installed WAIK. I had everything running from d:\7pe but happy to put everything onto C:\Win7PE_SE_2010_11_12 as you described. I thought having a foldername as short as possible would help winbuilder.

So my host machine in xp with sp2 in German. I hope it does not matter if I like to make an English or German win7pe disk what language my host machine is.

About the WAIK I am not sure. It says that "An installed copy of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) is required to provide the tools for mounting and creating WIM files and to inject additional drivers." taken from here. So do I need WAIK now or not if I like to add Macrium Reflect Free Version to the Win7PE later on?

I think for an xp sp2 if I would need WAIK it would be the one support xp sp2 like for example WAIK for Vista SP1 does, right? But not even sure if I need WAIK or not...

Thanks for the help in PM will try that as well. If all does not help and even the source from MSDN is modified I will go out and buy it to have it in original format. Want to get this run as I really need to start using the laptop as well.

Also last not least, when using the original dvd that came with the laptop as well as when using the mdsn version winbuilder said that it found windows ultimate instead of professional. It did so after I ticked both options in preconfig under build. Is this strange?

Do I actually have win 7 ultimate here on the dvd but only got the key to activate professional? Found some info on how to be able to choose the versions upon install. Info is in German though. Bet most of you know this already, just sharing what I find out along the way.

Again thanks for your input and help!!

Edited by Sam7, 23 November 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#28 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

I'm using untouched, retail Win7 (7600) source and running on XP Pro SP2 and my WAIK is version 6.1.7600 but I don't believe WAIK is required at all for this project.

How can you use WAIK version 6.1.7600 when your xp pro sp2 is not supported? At least that is what the ms download page and wiki tell me. Does it not matter what OS you have installed and you can simply use the latest WAIK? Why are there other versions for other OS then if that does not matter, or does it only not matter in consideration of using WAIK for making a Win7PE?

#29 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

As Amalux already mention, you don’t have to worry about waik if
you are using Win7PE_SE. It’s not needed.
But you are right; if you really want to install it on XP it’s this version:
http://www.microsoft...;displayLang=de

Any specific reason why you don’t have SP3 installed?

#30 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

As Amalux already mention, you don’t have to worry about waik if
you are using Win7PE_SE. It’s not needed.
But you are right; if you really want to install it on XP it’s this version:

Any specific reason why you don’t have SP3 installed?

so how does amalux use it then if it works on his xp pro sp2? also won't I be needing waik when I later want to add macrium refelct free version to my win7pe? is waik not used for that? how can I add that later on?

about the sp3, well things here run very smooth (apart from obviously not having the right win7 dvd to build the win7pe) the way I got it with sp2.

seems like sp3 also has not got many features that I have not already taken care of running with sp2. as soon as I explicitly need it for something I want to run I will install it, but that has so far never been the case.

took me some time to get things so smooth as they are now and kinda happy to keep it that way. do you suggest installing sp3? if so, why?

Edited by Sam7, 23 November 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#31 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:52 AM

so how does amalux use it then if it works on his xp pro sp2? also won't I be needing waik when I later want to add macrium refelct free version to my win7pe? is waik not used for that? how can I add that later on?

The file he mentioned is a complete set of tools that has the "ImageX" stuff that it needs. All the other files come direct from the Win7 media. And the winbuilder processing adds the files, and then makes the new image that gets booted and also put into the ram disk environment.

about the sp3, well things here run very smooth (apart from obviously not having the right win7 dvd to build the win7pe) the way I got it with sp2.

seems like sp3 also has not got many features that I have not already taken care of running with sp2. as soon as I explicitly need it for something I want to run I will install it, but that has so far never been the case.

took me some time to get things so smooth as they are now and kinda happy to keep it that way. do you suggest installing sp3? if so, why?

Well, it's just me, but YES, there are security and other enhancements. But then again, I like to stay more on the bleeding edge and am re-installing the OS and configuring it every 3-6 months as I either get some new toy (like an SSD boot disk) or something else to play with. On the other hand, my wife is perfectly happy with XP, but really, just applying the SP isn't that big a deal and does set you up better for the long haul if you plan on staying with XP...

So, as was stated, best bet is to get the Win7PE_SE download, unpack it to a clean area, and select the source. Don't try to monkey with too many of the settings first time...then hit the BLUE arrow, and build away.

Scott

#32 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:39 AM

ok, since the downloads from the msdn did not work nor did the dvd that came with the laptop I googled for "7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso" and had it 8min later.

I put both the win7 x86 and the Win7PE_SE_2010_11_12 onto c in directories c:\win7 and C:\Win7PE_SE_2010_11_12. Then had a go and things went fine until it had to start regedit.exe. There it stopped and was complaining about not enough memory.

So I assigned more memory by setting the visual effects settings in xp to best performance. I also changed the virtual memory from 1536 to 2800mb but I doubt that did help in the end, not sure. Then I removed a lot of entries from the autostart processes including the firewall and antivirus. At that stage I also deactivated the network card.

Restart. Minimal setup and gave win7pe a shot. And oh wow this time it went past the regedit.exe error and all the way up to step 25 I think were it asked to download a file. Holy but I had deactivated the network card.

So I deleted the two folders from c, restart, extract to 2 new folders, quick registry and recycle bin clean, restart and this time I hope it would work.

And it did. Of course I had the network card turned on again. So you see in the end it was 2 issues, the dvd source, (i found best results are when you get imageindex 1 and return 0, all other variations failed) as well as freeing up the system to dedicate enough memory to winbuilder as well as keeping the internet connection alive. I somehow felt bad having the connection so unprotected during the time of the build of win7pe. Is there anything that can be done to change this?

I guess with 1gb ram and the one or other process running in the background things get tricky, but it can be done.

So of course I tested the cd and it worked great on the laptop. Thanks for all your help towards this!!

Questions:
Why can't I access certain files like documents and settings under the user in win7pe? In win7pe I would like full control of the machine.

How do I get win7pe to start from the hard disk? Do I need an extra partition for that?

Last not least but this is why I am actually doing this: How to add Macrium Reflect Free Version to Win7PE?

I am off to searching, any input is most welcome. Thank you all so much. At least I am done with the first step. uff..

Edited by Sam7, 24 November 2010 - 02:41 AM.

#33 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

So you see in the end it was 2 issues, the dvd source, (i found best results are when you get imageindex 1 and return 0, all other variations failed) as well as freeing up the system to dedicate enough memory to winbuilder as well as keeping the internet connection alive. I somehow felt bad having the connection so unprotected during the time of the build of win7pe. Is there anything that can be done to change this?

I guess with 1gb ram and the one or other process running in the background things get tricky, but it can be done.

So of course I tested the cd and it worked great on the laptop. Thanks for all your help towards this!!

Good to hear...Yes, building larger thigns and all the disk access to the DVD can take a bit of memory. Maybe Win7 is better at this than XP (another reason to upgrade?)... Some of the downloading over the net while building is to cache tools and other utilities. May not be strictly needed for a minimal environment.

Questions:
Why can't I access certain files like documents and settings under the user in win7pe? In win7pe I would like full control of the machine.

How do I get win7pe to start from the hard disk? Do I need an extra partition for that?

Last not least but this is why I am actually doing this: How to add Macrium Reflect Free Version to Win7PE?

I am off to searching, any input is most welcome. Thank you all so much. At least I am done with the first step. uff..

OK, so start off first with finding a script for this tool (if it exists), or looking at one of the other application scripts to see how they are done. Not sure, since I haven't needed to use that too, so never searched :D The scripting is a bit different in syntax, but not that hard to pick up :)

As for getting it to start from the hard disk, I think you could install the ISO on disk, and then use GRUB or some other boot loader to either boot windows -OR into the ISO image you create.

BUT, if the purpose is to be able to re-image in case of a failure or loss, separate partition is a MUST, and even separate disk spindles is really a better idea.

SO, WHY do you wan to use this backup tool under a PE? :) :D

#34 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

Questions:

Give more details about the file access issue, you should have full control unless files are encrypted, write-protected etc. You're host OS is XP, right? With Win7 things are a bit more restricted, try going in through 'Users' folder instead of Documents and Settings.

If standard XP install (single OS) booting from C: drive, you can simply add grldr and menu.lst from here (includes add'l tools you can delete if not wanted), put to C: root and add the following line to your boot.ini file (hidden):
C:\grldr="LiveXP ISO Rescue Boot"
To see/edit this file, go to 'Start -> Run' and enter this code to make your boot.ini visible (assumes C: drive):
attrib -h -s -r c:\boot.ini
and save a backup of this file before modifying it; copy it and name the backup boot.bak.

attrib +h +s +r c:\boot.ini
to hide it again (if wanted).

So your modified boot.ini should look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\grldr="Rescue Boot Options"

Now copy your Win7PEx86.iso to C: drive, I've already added the corresponding entry in menu.lst:

title Win7PE Rescue
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Win7PEx86.iso
map /Win7PEx86.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

change the bolded ISO name entries as needed.

That's it, when you reboot you'll see the new option in your boot menu :D

For Win7, just use EasyBCD to add ISO's to your boot menu.

You know I prefer portables, there's a portable Macrium Reflect PE here that can be run from anywhere (PE or Windows); if you must have it built in to your PE, add this script to "%baseDir%\Projects\Win7pe_SE\Apps\HD Tasks" folder and build it. Not really tested but should work fine :)

Btw, personally I prefer SP2 over SP3 but if you decide to update, make sure to backup your HD first just in case you don't like it.

Finally, afaik, the only script that requires a download is BGInfo in Tweaks. Either disable it or supply the file it needs before build. You can disable network support in Tools as well. Glad you got it all sorted out.

:)

--
EDIT: corrected download link for script, new version working.

#35 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

You know I prefer portables, there's a portable Macrium Reflect PE here that can be run from anywhere (PE or Windows); if you must have it built in to your PE, add this script to "%baseDir%\Projects\Win7pe_SE\Apps\HD Tasks" folder and build it. Not really tested but should work fine :)

Very nice. Thank you :)
Have not seen this script before in Bootland.
Just curious: Why is the size of the extracted ReflectPE.exe
from the script 5,29MB and the installation size of ReflectPE.exe 4,17MB?
Both says version 2.1.2952

Ps. Concerning SP2, this is from MS:
" Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010.
If you're running one of these versions after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows"
http://windows.micro...-packs?os=other

#36 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

@sbaeder:

BUT, if the purpose is to be able to re-image in case of a failure or loss, separate partition is a MUST, and even separate disk spindles is really a better idea.

SO, WHY do you wan to use this backup tool under a PE? :) :D

Let me explain, perhaps that will lead to new thoughts.

Before all this I used to have to install my OS on the desktop from scratch about once a month due to various reasons, mainly tried out software that would not de-install completely and leave marks in the registry and slow down system performance that already is not the best. So I searched for how to avoid this situation and learned about imaging/backup the OS.

I tired a lot of free tools and found that they are all slow and quite buggy except for Macrium Reflect Free Version (MARFV). I also did give Acronis a shot but was badly disappointed as well and don't recommend using it at all.

So I stuck with MARFV. As MARFV cannot restore the system from inside Windows I learned about making a BartPE with the MARFV plugin. Last not least as I did not want to put in a CD every time I wanted to do a restore, I learned about starting BartPE from the hard drive.

You are right, I do have two hard drives in my desktop and made a third small active partition on the second drive. From that I start BertPE on boot if I like to.

So this is how I came to use MARFV with a PE and since getting the new laptop shortly ago I wanted to have a similar setup to avoid having to re-install the OS fresh about once or twice a month, plus I do not want to worry about loosing work data or that being mixed with the OS.

In that sense I thought for the laptop it would be the easiest to make a Win7PE, put the MARFV plugin on it, include it on a 3rd small active partition and like so be able to finally start using the laptop and be able to image/backup or restore the OS partition whenever I have reached a satisfying state and stability. You are very right here, having a second hard drive would be best for the images and their restore.

Q:
Now you see the laptop has one hard drive. At the moment there are three partitions on it,
  • on C:\ the OS
  • on D:\ my data and OS images made with MARFV and
  • on Z:\ I will want to have Win7PE with MARFV to be able to boot into that at start time.
Is that a possible solution? What would you advise in my case taking into consideration that I do prefer to run things from the hard drive instead of from a USB stick or a CD.

@amalux
Thanks for your detailed instructions. I will give those for Win7 a shot right away. Thanks indeed for all the links and help!!
Q:
In your opinion what do you think would be a feasible approach to my situation? Divide the laptop's hard drive in three partitions or only two and boot Win7PE from an USB stick? Is there a standard procedure for laptops or a solid solution?

To clarify, I built the Win7PE x86 on my desktop XP SP2 x86 and ran it on the laptop with Win 7 PRO x64. There I had file access issues, like not being able to get into the Documents and Settings folder for example even after turning off the usage rights option in folder view options. Also passing down access rights to me in advanced sharing options did not help. The folder did stay closed. I have normally installed Win 7 x64 on the laptop from the dvd supplied and with cmd control userpasswords2 I set up an admin account that I use. So I should have all access rights, in XP it does work fine like that.

Yes I also do like to stay with XP SP2 on the desktop and will of course make an OS image before I put on SP3, if ever.

Will try and figure out how to supply the file for BGInfo in Tweaks so that I can disable the network connection during build.

@al_jo
Thanks for your info. I might give SP3 a try.
Q:
Do you not think that with a good firewall and anti-virus one really needs those security updates?

So far I have never had security issues really, more errors before the time I used to do OS images and not being able to get rid of tired out software installations.

@all
Thank you all so much for your help and input, this is highly appreciated. Perhaps I will try and write out a little text from a newbies perspective on how to make a Win7PE with MARFV booting from hard drive when all this is done. If you are in a similar position, do not give up and as you see things will work out sooner or later with the help of this great forums users. Thanks again!!

#37 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

I added the Win7PE x86 iso to partition Z:\ on the laptop and made a boot entry to it with EasyBCD. (Z:\ is formatted NTFS.)

For that I used the option Portable/External Media - ISO Boot - Name: Win7PE - Mode: Run from Disk - Path: point it to the Win7PE iso on the Z:\ partition.

That did work out on startup, however after it finished loading I am presented with a black screen and nothing happens.

Since there are no drivers yet installed on the laptop I will install all drivers now and then try to boot from the Win7PE again. Hope this helps. I am surprised how easy it is with EasyBCD to make an entry to the boot menu and tell it to boot from an iso image!! Nice!

Edited by Sam7, 24 November 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#38 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Successfully made the Win7PE with MARFV included! Same procedure as yesterday, I did shut off all but the necessary processes, set system to optimal performance and let the additional memory setting from yesterday at 2600mb as well as of course turning off the firewall and anti-virus. Now it does run smooth. Finally.

Unfortunately even though after I installed all drivers on the laptop I am still getting a black screen after it loads Win7PE.

In EasyBCD in Portable/External Media I told it to load the Win7PE with the ISO Boot options as well as tried to run it from WinPE option.

I extracted the Win7PE ISO to the Z:\ drive. Then EasyBCD asked me if I wanted to create a boot drive or MBR for that Z:\ drive. I accepted and saw the drive description change to Win7PE as well as not being able to look into or modify files in that drive anymore with the extracted Win7PE in it.

With both tries I still do get a black screen after Win7PE loads. Any clues? Any other ways of doing this with Win7PE and EasyBCD?

On my XP SP2 desktop EasyBCD does not run because I have changed some files in C:\ that I think it needs so it keeps asking me for a "boot configuration data store". I think this is because I have manually set the C:\ drive to load with BartPE or Windows XP like explained in that guide I linked to above. Guess in the long run it might also be good to configure the desktop to be able to run with EasyBCD and BartPE, XP SP2 and perhaps Ubuntu for testing. But as long as the laptop is not fine I am concentrating on that.

Now I am installing the Win 7 Ultimate x64 on the laptop. A pitty I could neither use the supplied DVD nor the version from MSDN to build the Win7PE, however this also got me Win 7 Ultimate x64 in the wake of events.

At the moment I have left partitions as they are. C:\ for the OS, D:\ for the data and OS images and Z:\ for the Win7PE MARFV iso or extracted iso, depending on what will work best with EasyBCD.

Any input much appreciated as always and I will keep you posted on the progress.

#39 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

@al_jo
Thanks for your info. I might give SP3 a try.
Q:
Do you not think that with a good firewall and anti-virus one really needs those security updates?

So far I have never had security issues really, more errors before the time I used to do OS images and not being able to get rid of tired out software installations.

Why are you using XP with SP2? It's not enough with SP0? :)

#40 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

Why are you using XP with SP2? It's not enough with SP0? :)

Deal al_jo,
I am not going further into discussion about sp0, 1, 2 or 3. My desktop came with sp2 and I am fine with that as it is. Thanks for your informative reply about why it is necessary to install sp3.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by Sam7, 24 November 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#41 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

Just curious: Why is the size of the extracted ReflectPE.exe
from the script 5,29MB and the installation size of ReflectPE.exe 4,17MB?
Both says version 2.1.2952

I don't know, file sizes did look different from one OS environment to the next e.g. larger on Win7 x64 install than on XP x86 using same installer. When I have some time I'll look into it more closely.

Ps. Concerning SP2, this is from MS:
" Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010.
If you're running one of these versions after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows"
http://windows.micro...-packs?os=other

I don't need support from M$, nor have I ever used 'Windows Update' etc. (I update manually as needed). If this type of 'auto-support' is important to someone then they should follow the M$ imperative. XP SP3 does cause unwanted issues on most machines I've tested it on but I must admit, I used to feel the same about SP2 and now wouldn't have a machine running without it :)

#42 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

@amalux
Q:
In your opinion what do you think would be a feasible approach to my situation? Divide the laptop's hard drive in three partitions or only two and boot Win7PE from an USB stick? Is there a standard procedure for laptops or a solid solution?

To clarify, I built the Win7PE x86 on my desktop XP SP2 x86 and ran it on the laptop with Win 7 PRO x64. There I had file access issues, like not being able to get into the Documents and Settings folder for example even after turning off the usage rights option in folder view options. Also passing down access rights to me in advanced sharing options did not help. The folder did stay closed. I have normally installed Win 7 x64 on the laptop from the dvd supplied and with cmd control userpasswords2 I set up an admin account that I use. So I should have all access rights, in XP it does work fine like that.

These are personal preferences I guess, for me it's easier to include some basic 'rescue' tools, including Win7PE at the boot partition (XP/7) so I have access at startup if wanted/needed; as said, this allows backup/restore of same partition as needed and is still independent of host OS i.e. will work even if host OS is corrupted and unbootable. Of course, you should also have a separate boot disk available in the case of hardware failure :)

The Documents and Settings denied access is 'normal' in Win7, you can go through Users folder instead and can usually get to what you need.

#43 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Successfully made the Win7PE with MARFV included! ...

--
In EasyBCD in Portable/External Media I told it to load the Win7PE with the ISO Boot options as well as tried to run it from WinPE option.

I extracted the Win7PE ISO to the Z:\ drive. Then EasyBCD asked me if I wanted to create a boot drive or MBR for that Z:\ drive. I accepted and saw the drive description change to Win7PE as well as not being able to look into or modify files in that drive anymore with the extracted Win7PE in it.

With both tries I still do get a black screen after Win7PE loads. Any clues? Any other ways of doing this with Win7PE and EasyBCD?

On my XP SP2 desktop EasyBCD does not run because I have changed some files in C:\ that I think it needs so it keeps asking me for a "boot configuration data store". I think this is because I have manually set the C:\ drive to load with BartPE or Windows XP like explained in that guide I linked to above. Guess in the long run it might also be good to configure the desktop to be able to run with EasyBCD and BartPE, XP SP2 and perhaps Ubuntu for testing. But as long as the laptop is not fine I am concentrating on that.

What is 'MARFV', Macrium Reflect?

Use the 'ISO Boot' tab for booting from ISO. You don't need the 'Force portable entry' option, use 'Run from Disk' option under ISO Boot and it should work fine. You don't need to extract the ISO or create separate boot drive or MBR etc. Just copy the working ISO to same partition OS boots from and add the new entry as described. Are you sure this ISO is good? Can you burn it to CD and boot to desktop on this PC without issue?

Don't use EasyBCD for XP, follow instructions for grldr+menu.lst setup.

#44 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

Tested your MacReflectPE.script and some small issues:
There is no icons on desktop or in the start menu.
The program is in “CD drive” and folder %Workdir%

#45 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Successfully made the Win7PE with MARFV included! Same procedure as yesterday, I did shut off all but the necessary processes, set system to optimal performance and let the additional memory setting from yesterday at 2600mb as well as of course turning off the firewall and anti-virus. Now it does run smooth. Finally.

Unfortunately even though after I installed all drivers on the laptop I am still getting a black screen after it loads Win7PE.

You did add these drivers to the Win7PE - Right??? There is a driver integration script that can be used for this...And you did try out the ISO on a VM too right? Other than that, can't think of anything else to try at this point, but keep plugging away...

At the moment I have left partitions as they are. C:\ for the OS, D:\ for the data and OS images and Z:\ for the Win7PE MARFV iso or extracted iso, depending on what will work best with EasyBCD.

Any input much appreciated as always and I will keep you posted on the progress.

The set up of using a PE (either USB/CD/DVD - OR direct off the ISO on the other partition) is fine for the restore. I thought Macrium had the ability to do the "snapshot" style live image backup...If that is the case, you could image the backup right inside windows, and only use the alternate PE boot to do the restore.

#46 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Tested your MacReflectPE.script and some small issues:
There is no icons on desktop or in the start menu.
The program is in “CD drive” and folder %Workdir%

Hmm, that's what I get for releasing a script without testing; I will look to see what's going on and report later (swamped at work right now).

#47 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hmm, that's what I get for releasing a script without testing; I will look to see what's going on and report later (swamped at work right now).

Don’t worry, I managed to remake the script so
Macrium Reflect shows in the start menu at least
But not on desktop :D

Edit: Have it on desktop now, thanks to "MakeScript" by Pedro Le 15 :D

#48 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:50 AM

Sorry, accidentally uploaded test version of script, here's the right one: MacReflectPE.rar

I'll change the other link as well.

#49 Sam7

Sam7

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:50 AM

This is just to say that at the end of November things here took a really hectic turn and in the wake of the rather unfortunate events my life got turned upside down. But I have not forgotten the invaluable help I have received here and wanted to finish this project. I hope others might also profit from this.

I think the problem with the black screen on the laptop is really due to the fact that I did not include any drivers during the building of the win7pe x86 on the xp sp2 desktop.

I will now research the driver integration script and hope to be able to add the drivers to the building process.

Thanks again for all the replies and help. I have been looking for a way to save this entire topic through the forum software but have not found any other way than "save page as" in FF. If there is let me know please. The new design is neat btw however I would prefer a fixed width for the posts but however it rocks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users