• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

If size is no problem, why don't you try to figure out a way to merge one of the Win7PE projects, in part or whole, over a true WinPe3.0 to get the best of both worlds?

;)

#77 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:26 AM

If size is no problem, why don't you try to figure out a way to merge one of the Win7PE projects, in part or whole, over a true WinPe3.0 to get the best of both worlds?

because I don't know how and it looks like it would be a labor of love -- or a labor of something. Ideally I'm looking for a little checkbox that says "add bitlocker" and a big green arrow button for "run." now you guys do have the big green arrow button (ok maybe blue), but not the little checkbox.

but necessity is the mother, and I'll see if there is a shortcut or something. Offhand, I imagine lots of tedious work involved in merging a pe project with ms pe, esp if one doesn't know anything about it. At most I was looking to write a very small script with one or two registry entries--a copy here, a paste there, and a press of the big button.

#78 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

I've gotten a list of bitlocker related registry entries to try adding to peSe. Merging them after booting up didn't do any good, but I suspect they may need to be in the registry at boot time. I didn't see a way to merge an entire reg file (*.reg) while the project is being built (I don't want to do it line by line). I assume there's some command for that? thanks.

Also, adding a report on peSe (the shell swapper component): the usb drive detection is a bit flakey--or causes shell swapper's explorer to behave oddly. (This is even after running pnp.) Exploring my usb key when I type the drive letter manually works most of the time but not always--sometimes the drive is not recognized. It could be this problem is limited to shell swapper; the usb drive appears normally in disk explorer and from the command prompt.

#79 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

I didn't see a way to merge an entire reg file (*.reg) while the project is being built (I don't want to do it line by line). I assume there's some command for that?

tools that can convert .reg file to WinBuilder script lines:
one made by psc available here
the other tool made by paraglider available here

#80 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

thanks, i'll see if I can make this work.

#81 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

@techvslife
is there any progress with BitLocker?

so i have no so much experience with BitLocker (never used before)
but the following works for me
host: Windows 7 x86 Ultimate RTM
winbuilder project: Joshua's Win7RescuePE project
built from Windows 7 x86 Ultimate RTM DVD as source
using 'File to copy = standard'

on the host i have tried to encrypt only a second drive which contains only data and used only the
'Use a password to unlock the drive' and 'Save the recovery key to a file' (saved as a simply .txt file on local disk) method
via the GUI in Control Panel > BitLocker Driver Encryption > Turn On BitLocker

in the booted Win7RescuePE i can successfully unlock that encrypted drive using the command-line:
manage-bde -unlock E: -rp password

i have added only the fve* files to my build
i.e.
[codebox][Process] ReadENV Set,%b32%,%BootSRC%\Windows\system32 FileCopy,%BootSRC%\Windows\fveupdate.exe,%target_win% FileCopy,%BootSRC%\Windows\%DistLang%\fveupdate.exe.mui,%target_win%\%DistLang% FileCopy,%b32%\manage-bde.exe,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\manage-bde.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang% FileCopy,%b32%\manage-bde.wsf,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\repair-bde.exe,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\repair-bde.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang% FileCopy,%b32%\bderepair.dll,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\fveapi.dll,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\fveapibase.dll,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\fvecerts.dll,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\fvecpl.dll,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\fveRecover.dll,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\fveui.dll,%target_sys% FileCopy,%b32%\fvewiz.dll,%target_sys% If,EXISTFILE,%b32%\en-US\fveapi.dll.mui,FileCopy,%b32%\en-US\fveapi.dll.mui,%target_sys%\en-US If,EXISTFILE,%b32%\%DistLang%\fveapi.dll.mui,FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fveapi.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang% FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fvecpl.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang% FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fverecover.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang% FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fveui.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang% FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fvewiz.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%
FileCopy,%b32%\drivers\dumpfve.sys,%target_sys%\drivers
FileCopy,%b32%\drivers\fvevol.sys,%target_sys%\drivers
FileCopy,%b32%\drivers\%DistLang%\fvevol.sys.mui,%target_sys%\drivers\%DistLang%[/codebox]

nevertheless in the command
manage-bde -unlock E: -rp password
as 'password' i had to use not that original password what i have defined at the beginning of the encryption
(and what works on the real OS in the Control Panel GUI)
but that 8x6 digit 'BitLocker Recovery Key'
what can be found in the saved .txt key file as last line

pointing to the .txt key file using:
manage-bde -unlock E: -rk PathToKeyFile.txt
doesn't work

with the 'manage-bde.exe' command-line the original password or point to the .txt key file neither works in the real OS

#82 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

i have made a newer try
and the following also successfully works for me
adding only the missing fve* files to my build
(fveapi.dll fveapibase.dll fvecerts.dll fvecpl.dll fveRecover.dll fveui.dll fvewiz.dll manage-bde.wsf)

i have encrypted the drive using the GUI in Control Panel > BitLocker Driver Encryption > Turn On BitLocker
with the 'Use a password to unlock the drive' and 'Save the recovery key to a USB flash drive' method,
in this case a .BEK file was created on my USB stick

in the booted Win7RescuePE this command can successfully unlock my encrypted drive
(pointing to the .BEK file):
manage-bde -unlock E: -rk PathToKeyFile.BEK

#83 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

i have tried this BitLocker thing
in YahooUK's Multi 7PEs project what available from the server:
win7pe.winbuilder.net/Projects
and unlocking the encrypted drive works fine in that project too

so i am unable to figure out why 'manage-bde -unlock' fails in 'Win7PE_SE_04_10_2010' project

#84 sgufa

sgufa

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

This is my experience with this release:

All working fine for me except for usb drive recognition.
Or better:
If i run disk management i can see my usb drive with a letter assigned to it, so i can open the drive from there.
In explorer i can't see that drive (even if i make a refresh). If i kill explorer.exe and re-run from pe-shell, the drive magically appears in drives list.
Same problem if i remove the drive. Diskmgmt doesn't see it anymore, but explorer (even if i restart it) give me a ? on drive letter (inaccessible anyway).

Any suggestions? Please help me...

P.s. : built with windows 7 ultimate x86. tried also homepremium and professional (by changing install.wim container #).
P.s.2: tested in virtual and real environment. Same issues.

#85 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:15 AM

and interestingly 'manage-bde -unlock' works fine in the older 'Win7PE_SE_25_03_10' project too

so i guess this glitch introduced after the win7pe_SE registry hives handling was changed

#86 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

If you are using my runscanner script make sure you download the latest version ( 5 ) from my website.

All previous versions were incompatible with the latest version of win7pe_se.

Shows up as the right pane of the explorer start menu containing no items like control panel / run etc.

Had to comment out the registry settings setting up the shell. They were reset by clid.reg running at boot time so the problem was never noticed before.

#87 jsgage

jsgage

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

heres a little look at my experience with win7pe_SE_04_10_2010 using winbuilder.80 and source 7100.0.090421-1700.
First Thanks go to All for this wonderfull project.
My build platform is hp nc6400 x86 laptop running win7 6.1.7600 ult,But i use 7100 as source because ive only found
this way of getting netframework to work in win7pe . using netframe lodr and building with 7100 heres the
script i use ""lhttp://www.direct-filehost.net/files/OMONG0GU/dotnet2_win7_LODR.7z""
now another thankyou to JFX for the driver interation script which ive found most usefull for adding
drivers for my laptop and other machines with drivermax. To say ive previously backedup my drivers with Drivermax and simply
copyed the driver folders i wish to add to Drivers_x86 folder in %GlobalTemplates% dead easy :ranting2:
heres my device manager before and after pnputil

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ive also added some pics to show working netframework in win7pe

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also had a quick go at trying to get bitlocker to work by adding files i extracted form source .wim files
and adding then to Workbench\Common\Win7PE_SE\PE_2_3_DirCopy_Files\Windows\System32

Posted Image

Its looking good for unlocking usb pen and mmc card that used bitlocker

Posted Image

The disk manager shows that the drive uses bitlocker but is unable to unlock,

Posted Image
Posted Image

But if you use the bitlocker icon in control panel thing look good as you can see

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

im a couple of spanners short to get it working on the encrypt side im not that clever as yet
but thanks to this forum and the team i hope to learn..
keep up the most excellent work everybody

#88 jsgage

jsgage

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

heres a little look at my experience with win7pe_SE_04_10_2010 using winbuilder.80 and source 7100.0.090421-1700.
First Thanks go to All for this wonderfull project.
My build platform is hp nc6400 x86 laptop running win7 6.1.7600 ult,But i use 7100 as source because ive only found
this way of getting netframework to work in win7pe . using netframe lodr and building with 7100 heres the
script i use ""lhttp://www.direct-filehost.net/files/OMONG0GU/dotnet2_win7_LODR.7z""
now another thankyou to JFX for the driver interation script which ive found most usefull for adding
drivers for my laptop and other machines with drivermax. To say ive previously backedup my drivers with Drivermax and simply
copyed the driver folders i wish to add to Drivers_x86 folder in %GlobalTemplates% dead easy :ranting2:
heres my device manager before and after pnputil

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ive also added some pics to show working netframework in win7pe

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also had a quick go at trying to get bitlocker to work by adding files i extracted form source .wim files
and adding then to Workbench\Common\Win7PE_SE\PE_2_3_DirCopy_Files\Windows\System32

Posted Image

Its looking good for unlocking usb pen and mmc card that used bitlocker

Posted Image

The disk manager shows that the drive uses bitlocker but is unable to unlock,

Posted Image
Posted Image

But if you use the bitlocker icon in control panel thing look good as you can see

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

im a couple of spanners short to get it working on the encrypt side im not that clever as yet
but thanks to this forum and the team i hope to learn..
keep up the most excellent work everybody

#89 was_JFX

was_JFX

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 483 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

so i guess this glitch introduced after the win7pe_SE registry hives handling was changed

Registry shouldn't be the problem, please try new version. Hope problem now gone.

:ranting2:

#90 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thanks!
in the newer version: 'Win7PE_SE_04_20_2010'
the command 'manage-bde -unlock' works fine

what was the fix?

@jsgage
for me the bitlocker GUI via the Control Panel
can not unlock the drive, it only says :
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

exactly how can you get the GUI work?

#91 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:29 AM

I was out of town for the week; I will test it this weekend, but did want to say a big thank you in this post for the new build
'Win7PE_SE_04_20_2010'

(I think I had managed to pull out all the registry entries relating to bitlocker, but you'd be surprised how many there were . . . )

#92 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Ok, here is my update (on the bitlocker situation) using the April 20 win7pe_se, built on and from Win 7 x64 (UPDATE: in case it's relevant, I built this with UAC ON to maximum security setting.):

Bitlocker works! mucho thanks to JFX for the new build (--and all the builds).

But some caveats:
1. a) The bitlocker UI (in control panel under security) still does NOT decrypt an encrypted system drive (internal hard drive) -- though now it does decrypt external Usb drives (aka "Bitlocker to Go")!
b) The command line utility "Manage-bde.exe" (in system32) now works under win7pese! so, instead of the ui, one can use manage-bde.exe to decrypt the system drive, and I did use it to decrypt all drives successfully.

2. One theory on #1: external usb drives do not require uac elevation to decrypt (at least there's no little shield icon). but the system drive does. there is a system32 file which may be relevant: bitlockerWizardElev.exe

3. There is VERY odd behavior with some bitlocker files, where winbuilder won't find them, even when you know they are there (won't copy them even when you set the source as c:\windows\system32\). These files are prefaced with c:\winbuilderPeSe\ in the list in #4 below.

4. Here is the section that I added to the process section of 1-files.script before building the iso (I also had selected "full copy" for copy files option). this is a somewhat bigger list than provided before here (thanks to dera for that list).

// Lines to add to [process] section of 1-files.script:

// files prefaced with c:\winbuilderPeSe\ must be manually copied there 

// out of c:\windows\system32 (or appropriate subfolder) for unknown reasons.

// i.e. those files are not found by winbuilder in system32, though present.

FileCopy,%BootSRC%\Windows\fveupdate.exe,%target_win%

FileCopy,%BootSRC%\Windows\%DistLang%\fveupdate.exe.mui,%target_win%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\BdeHdCfg.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\BdeHdCfgLib.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\bderepair.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\bdesvc.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\bdeui.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\BdeUISrv.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\BdeUnlockWizard.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\BitlockerWizard.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\BitlockerWizardElev.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\fveapi.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\fveapibase.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\fvecerts.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\fvecpl.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\fvenotify.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\fveprompt.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\fveRecover.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\fveui.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\fvewiz.dll,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\manage-bde.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\manage-bde.wsf,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%b32%\repair-bde.exe,%target_sys%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\BdeHdCfg.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\BdeHdCfgLib.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\bdesvc.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\BdeUnlockWizard.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\BitLockerWizard.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\BitLockerWizardElev.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fveapi.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fvecpl.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\fvenotify.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,c:\winbuilderPeSe\fveprompt.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fverecover.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fveui.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\fvewiz.dll.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\manage-bde.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\%DistLang%\repair-bde.exe.mui,%target_sys%\%DistLang%

FileCopy,%b32%\drivers\dumpfve.sys,%target_sys%\drivers

FileCopy,%b32%\drivers\fvevol.sys,%target_sys%\drivers

FileCopy,%b32%\drivers\%DistLang%\fvevol.sys.mui,%target_sys%\drivers\%DistLang%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users