• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

MySIW2 is the one I built and SIW2New is the one you sent.

#102 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

This might narrow it down a bit:

\Windows\System32\avicap.dll

\Windows\System32\avifile.dll

\Windows\System32\crtdll.dll

\Windows\System32\dmhxb.dll

\Windows\System32\GDI.exe

\Windows\System32\iac25_32.ax

\Windows\System32\ivfsrc.ax

\Windows\System32\lanman.drv

\Windows\System32\mfc40.dll

\Windows\System32\mmsystem.dll

\Windows\System32\mmtask.tsk

\Windows\System32\mpio.sys

\Windows\System32\msacm.dll

\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll

\Windows\System32\msvcrt20.dll

\Windows\System32\ole2.dll

\Windows\System32\ole2disp.dll

\Windows\System32\ole2nls.dll

\Windows\System32\olecli.dll

\Windows\System32\olecli32.dll

\Windows\System32\OLESVR.DLL

\Windows\System32\olesvr32.dll

\Windows\System32\olethk32.dll

\Windows\System32\uictl.exe

\Windows\System32\vga.drv

\Windows\System32\wow32.dll

\Windows\System32\en-us\mfc40.dll.mui

#103 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

There is another solution to this problem. I noticed that the Windows Audio Service (audiosrv) had a status of started in your build where as in my build it was stopped. After I started the service - no more delay. I did not have to copy any of the missing or different files for this to work. Apparently, having those files in the wim triggers the service to start without having to start it manually. After checking further, it looks like pecmd.ini is the trigger:

DEVI %WinDir%infhdaudio.inf

This was commented out in the other pecmd.ini you sent me. I'm glad that is fixed, but I noticed something else :cold:

Have you tried Process Explorer from Sysinternals? It crashes using the build you sent me. Maybe it is not supported in PE.

Edited by adric, 19 July 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#104 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Process explorer works fine in NEW.iso.

No idea what you have done there - are you using a recent build?

Try Procexp v15.22 it is on sysinternals site now , it works better with SP1 .

Not sure you have found the solution - if you look at the pecmd.ini that was in pecmd.7z, you will see hdaudio.inf is loaded earlier, under the _sub loadshell section. That is why it is commented out at the end.

#105 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

You are right.

2011 version of procexp works.

New version crashes. Not sure why yet.

It does import 3 extra .dll's Adavpi32.dll,PSAPI.dll, and setupapi.dll.

All those are present - so not sure yet what the problem is with procexp new version.

It might be the audio service with FSC - it does try and use sounds , so maybe that is what the hangup is if audio service isn't runninmg.

#106 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Process explorer works fine in NEW.iso.

No idea what you have done there - are you using a recent build?

Try Procexp v15.22 it is on sysinternals site now , it works better with SP1 .

Not sure you have found the solution - if you look at the pecmd.ini that was in pecmd.7z, you will see hdaudio.inf is loaded earlier, under the _sub loadshell section. That is why it is commented out at the end.

Yes, I missed that in the .ini. Let me take another look. I just tried ProcExp again with the last new.iso you sent and ProcExp 15.22 crashes there too.

Posted Image

#107 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Yes, the older versions do not crash.

I though there might be something missing from my own hand build.

To check that, I just booted a win7 pese build - and process explorer new version crashes in there also.

Have uploaded procexp older version pexp-V14.zip https://skydrive.liv...789320E3247!320

Maybe we can find out what is different between v14 and v15.22

Edited by SIW2, 19 July 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#108 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

All versions after ProcExp 15.20 have the crash problem. V15.20 and below work for me. I also narrowed down the files that cause Windows Audio Service to start. I don't know why though. These files were not missing, but they were different in the working and non working builds.

P:Manual_PE3differentSystem32driversscdemu.sys

P:Manual_PE3differentSystem32driverstoredrvindex.dat

P:Manual_PE3differentSystem32driverstoreINFCACHE.1

P:Manual_PE3differentSystem32driverstoreinfpub.dat

P:Manual_PE3differentSystem32driverstoreinfstor.dat

P:Manual_PE3differentSystem32driverstoreinfstrng.dat

P:Manual_PE3differentSystem32driverstoreen-USnetmscli.inf_loc

7 File(s) copied

These are the only ones I copied from your build into my build.

Edited by adric, 20 July 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#109 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

I haven't got procexp v15.22 to work in any builds I have, including the new one I just ran off from win7 pese 14072012 to see if it would work there.

scdemu.sys is poweriso mount driver. netmscli is network related.

#110 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

I sent Mark a dump of procexp.. Maybe he will fix it.

#111 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Good idea.

Who is Mark?

#112 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

Mark Russinovich. He works for Microsoft and wrote a lot of the programs on the Sysinternals site
http://en.wikipedia....ark_Russinovich

#113 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Has anyone had success mounting a backup file to a drive letter using Win7PE so that you can look at the files?

Edited by adric, 21 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#114 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I sent Mark a dump of procexp.. Maybe he will fix it.

Mark fixed the bug. So the next release v15.23 will work with PE again.

#115 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

The MiniNT key does not exist on my PE system. I have a paid version of HDM10 Suite and I'm considering using that instead. I wanted to test 2012 Free because I have a backup that is not compatible with 10 from someone and I wanted to mount it , but that doesn't seem possible without having the archive available.

Sorry for the misinformation. The MiniNT does exist on my Win7PE. I missed it when scanning the registry

#116 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Great - glad to hear the bug was in procexp and not in my pe.

He works fast, then.

#117 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

SIW2. I noticed that in your PE you can use the shutdown and restart in the windows start menu. They don't work for me.
Do you know how you enabled this to work?

#118 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Pecmd does that automatically.

You would need to use pecmd as the command line instead of winpeshl.

Load your system hive as PE_SYS and add this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEPE_SYSSetup]
"CmdLine"="PECMD.EXE MAIN %Windir%system32PECMD.INI"

You need to put pecmd and pecmd.ini in system32.

winpeshl.ini should simply read

[LaunchApps]
wpeinit.exe

You can see how to do that by looking at my build.

Pecmd also provides explorer support. It reads pecmd.ini and installs drivers, loads wallpapers,create shortcuts and an astonishing number of other functions.

By far the best program ever made for pe.

#119 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I will try this later. Right now I use PEShell. Once I have everything the way I want, I will try PECMD and see which is better for my needs. I haven't found any decent documentation for it though.

Edited by adric, 26 July 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#120 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

There isn't really any external documentation- there is an included help file.

It is simp chinese, so probably best just to use the same entries as in my pecmd.in, just adjust the paths to point to your files you want shortcuts of.

#121 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

I ran into another intermittent problem trying to use Windows 7 PE with the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 software.

Sometimes drive C: is in use and cannot be dismounted even though I have not booted from disk C. I found out the problem is because the BCD registry hive is loaded by the Paragon software, and then it never unloads the hive.

The only solution that I've found is to use the registry editor to manually unload the "HKLM\BCD00000000" registry hive while the Paragon software is running. Unloading the hive before running the software has no effect, since the Paragon software loads the hive again when it starts.

#122 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Process Explorer v15.23: This update to Process Explorer adds the ability to view the process token of protected processes, fixes a bug that causes a crash when viewing thread stacks on Windows XP, and fixes a bug that causes a crash when running on Windows PE.

#123 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:53 AM

I ran into another intermittent problem trying to use Windows 7 PE with the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 software.

Sometimes drive C: is in use and cannot be dismounted even though I have not booted from disk C. I found out the problem is because the BCD registry hive is loaded by the Paragon software, and then it never unloads the hive.

The only solution that I've found is to use the registry editor to manually unload the "HKLM\BCD00000000" registry hive while the Paragon software is running. Unloading the hive before running the software has no effect, since the Paragon software loads the hive again when it starts.

It turns out that part of the above problem is because Paragon uses a different version of their software for the boot discs than the normal windows application.  I had to copy "explauncher.exe" from the boot disc to the files used for building my Windows PE disc. Then the program does not load the BCD registry hive.  I still have a problem because Windows PE accesses drive C and keeps it mounted.  I have to use "chkdsk /f /x c:" before I can back up drive C:.  If anyone has a suggestion about what services or options to disable in the Win7 PE build to avoid accessing drive C, I would appreciate them.

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade to Paragon HDM 15 but so far I've had terrible problems building custom boot CDs with Paragon's software.  Their standard boot disc usually works, but it has all sorts of modified files and tricks to make their software work with Windows PE.  Building your own boot disc is just asking for trouble.  The disc may work one day and then it won't work the next time doing something slightly different.

I have better results building with Windows XP PE and the GPT loader plus hotcore3 driver.  I guess it's because Windows XP mostly leaves drive C alone. I still haven't gotten VSS to work but hotcore3 works fine and I usually don't need it because drive C can be unmounted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users