#1 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

Can someone explain, why some topic titles are shown in BOLD, and others in regular font? :dubbio:

It doesn't seem to coincide with the topic perceived public importance or popularity. And it should! Most forums disallow topic starters to select bold or capital fonts for topic titles. I've seen some of the most stupid thread titles printed in bold, and real jewel titles hardly notable despite huge number of readers. :)

OR, if one sees a topic in bold, it simply means the member didn't read it entirely or some posts from it? Or new posts were added to the thread after the last user login or presence on the forum? :idea: If later is true, there should also be a way to differentiate most popular topics as well.

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

I have no idea. Perhaps it helps to ask some author of such topics how they manage to get nifty bold titles in the first place?

:)

#3 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

If you use the "Mark Community Read" option at the bottom of the page, all the boldness goes :)

#4 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

So far I managed to figure our, a DOT shown left to a topic title seem to mean, there are some posts here I didn't read. And a STAR means, I posted in that topic before. While empty space shows, I read the topic entirely, but not posted in it. Not sure what BOLD font means in topic title, but it seems redundant at that point if means some posts were not read here (same as DOT). :)

Another thing that draws attention is the need to have a mechanism to access quality of any new Tutorial before its allowed to be posted or indefinitely kept in Tutorials section. Currently just about anyone can call his post a TUTORIAL, even if it addresses an issue that didn't exist, and is of notably low quality. Later forum participants are faced with the dilemma, what this piece of sh..t is actually about... :) May be the way to address the issue is to count for user acceptance or topic popularity: once several forum members clicked on LIKE THIS within a certain initial period after new thread appeared in Tutorials section, it may be allowed to remain in that section and be called a Tutorial?

As an example, I'd reference a so called Tutorial, left by a first time poster: I qualify it as unverified Tip or Trick to solving a problem that might not exist. Not sure if it addresses a real problem, but the way it does raises questions whether a high threshold was met to call it a Tutorial. May be the right to post Tutorials can be obtained after publishing a set number of regular posts (that someone marked as LIKE THIS)? :dubbio: In other words, a set number of positive pear reviews of previous publications would allow to earn the right to post Tutorials, meaning quality material most other members can learn something from. I wonder if for less valuable input "TIPS and TRICKS" section can be the right place where available. :suda:

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

We work in a different manner. If a topic in the tutorial is not a tutorial then it is usually moved elsewhere more appropriate.

Things are kept simple, good tutorials eventually stand out from the crowd based on their own merit, no need for moderation intervention or filtering.
  • RoyM likes this

#6 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Windows Security, Programming, Customizing & Crash Dump Analysis.
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

You probably figured it out by now, but the bold ones mean that you have unread new posts within that topic or you haven't read the thread at all, while the ones that aren't in bold are ones that you have read, and have no new posts. :)

#7 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

There seems to be some redundancy in that devs effort though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users