Photo

How to use the registry to install drivers directly.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

A complete and well explained tutorial! :mellow:

I hope it will help me to reanimate my "hostDriver" app.

Peter

#27 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

Oh boy! In that case, i have even worst troubles than i thought.
Without the classes, CDDB barely does improve the number of devices that show up in device manager, over just txtsetup.sif use.
Maye i make somewhere else an error. :mellow:

:P

#28 ntdeveloper31

ntdeveloper31
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm looking for something that will help me  to boot windows7 over iscsi with different NIC.
Here is the current situation,

I have iscsi set-up on ubuntu server edition with dhcp server up and running on it. All the settings related with the dhcp configuration have been taken care of (You can be sure of this).

Windows 7 has been installed on the iscsi disk through some particular machine (it is basically a thin-client, let's say x1). It has drivers corresponding to NIC of this machine. So this way I have a windows7 iscsi image and I can diskless boot from this image from the machine (x1) as many times as I want to without any problem and everything works fine.

Problem is when I try to boot from some completely different machine (say, thin-client, x2-with different NIC than x1), then the booting process halts at "Starting Windows" windows logo and eventually produces BSOD STOP 0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

The microsft hotfix works when ALL the NICs going to be used to boot from iSCSI are present in computer. How to add NIC when it's different brand (the one which was not present during iSCSI installation)?

You can consider the scenario where 2nd machine is just a clone of 1st machine. And while booting from 2nd machine I am just changing the NIC through hypervisor settings. Do I need to write some driver which will enable me achieve this? If yes, what its functionality should be? Have there been any previous successful 
attempts at this? (As per my research, there have not been any, not counting the commercial ones.)

I have gone through following links while searching for the solution:

I wonder if anybody has ever successfully managed to create sort of universal image using the section "Installing Target NIC" mentioned in above the link. The import-export of .REG file eventually hard codes the Instance-Id for the NIC whereas Instance-Id is something that is generated on the fly. Obviously when iSCSI booted, it looks up the Instance-Id for the new NIC under "Enum" and it doesn't find one and hence the problem persists.

Also earlier posts in this very thread suggests that, this problem might go away by adding reg entry for this new NIC inside "Critical Device Database". However doing some research on net suggests that it does not hold true when it comes to NIC. Nonetheless, would like to know how to add reg entry inside CDDB given the .INF file. Is there tool/utility out there which does this job?

So do you guys have any idea how to get around this?

#29 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

@ntdeveloper31

Well, knowing what causes 0x7B mostly. Assuming you

1. Install windows over Machine-Host<-Machine-x1

2. Use machine from Machine-Host<-Machine-x1

3. Test boot Machine-Host<-Machine-x2

I wonder where does Machine-x2 NIC + strorage controller information come from on this 'loop'. I mean when you boot from 'Machine-x2' the critical device does not exist, service at driver does not exist and device does not exist windows will attempt to identify at boot all these. Generally I believe this would require similar registry as I'm currently building to Mass storage controllers except you would need NIC IDs not Mass storage IDs as Mass storage stays the same, but:

* Mass Storage->NIC-HOST->NIC_2(this device is not identified correctly) [Assuming I understood correctly]

I'm just saying Windows boot progress is not same as install device detection progress which would write automatically the 'critical'-data needed to boot where ever it is installed as long the install target is exaplained to windows setup to understand it.

Edited by genetix, 02 September 2013 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users