WinBuilder 077 RC 2 or beta X ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

Let me tell you some history:

In the stone age, around WinBilder 052 or earlier, Nuno created the DirCopy command.

In the stone age, all files of course were very (stone like) solid, and the command worked very well.

But now, in the Win7 age, there are a lot of 'non solid' files, like links.

I do not even know whether the result of an imagex mount is a physically existent directory or virtual.
Billy the Door successfully hides that.

In the last days, especially in the Win7 forum, but also at 'WinBuilder RC 1' some posts appeared which may all have the same root, namely the 'virtual files'

To fix the issue and be able for the future to copy also 'virtual files', we need many help and tests.

Would be very helpful if somebody can give us some Yes / No constellations
Like:
  • If file X is in the directory, DirCopy will not work
  • If I delete file X, DirCopy works
Back to the topic's title:

After in the first beta publishings there have been no remarkable issues, with RC 1 they began.
But let's be optimistic. The next publish will be RC 2

Peter ;)

#2 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

OK Guru.

I'll try it on weekends. :lol:

B Regards,

yahooUK

#3 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

I tried very hard to copy the links from the Administrator user directory. Could never manage it even writing my own programs. On my win7 dvd the file permissions on the links only allow access to the real Administrator user.

#4 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

Because of Mounting image.
Under mounting InstallWim, you can't copy, move or delete some folders, especially Administrator and Config.
To crack it, extract it on hdd first and then copy it.
At present, I don't have other option.
That is not WB bug, I think.

B Regards,

yahooUK

#5 ludovici

ludovici

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 610 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

yahoouk is right, it's a limitation of InstallWim (We have the same problem on Vista)...

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

Therefore time is ready to publish RC 2 :lol:

Peter

#7 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

Hi Peter,
I've looked for iit (RC2) everywhere but I can't find it.
Can you, or anyone else, point me to where I can download it?
Regards.

#8 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Ok, maybe I was not clever enough in my previous post as to say why I'd like to have 0.77RC2.
It so happens that now when I open Winbuilder and I load NativeEx project I get a message stating that NativeEx is supposed to run on Winbuilder 077RC2 only.
If it is ok to run on good old 0.76 or at least on 0.77RC1 then that's not a problem but if it really needs 0.77RC2 I'd like to know if it already public and if I can download it.
Can anybody help me to sort it out?

#9 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

I suppose 0.77RC2 is not yet public
(i never seen that version)

#10 Joshua

Joshua

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

(i never seen that version)

me too. :lol:

Joshua

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

Since about 2 weeks for me RC2 seems to be ready for publication.

But there came issues I'm i doubt whether they are depending on WinBuilder.

It has been MedEvil's IE6 issue, there is still the black screen of Vista / Win7 PE.

I think that it is not good to publish RC 2 with this doubts.

Peter

#12 Joshua

Joshua

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

And what is about beta testing?
Maybe, it can help to found problems ?

Joshua

#13 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

This seems to me like the right occasion to reiterate my rants ;) on the developing model. :lol:

Without going to deep in the problem, old one sucked, current one sucks as well. ;)

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7795
http://www.boot-land...?...=7795&st=12

http://www.boot-land...?...=6956&st=74

The only hope is that NEXT time a proper approach will be chosen. ;)

"drawing lines" is tiresome, may cause resentments, may take a little bit of the fun out of the development, but it has always given better results than corresponding semi-random approaches.

;)

jaclaz

#14 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

perhaps RC2 should be put in the trash?

#15 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

But there came issues I'm i doubt whether they are depending on WinBuilder.

That's fine Peter.
If it ain't ready, then it ain't ready and I (we) can't have it.
But can you let me know what's with NativeEx asking specifically for 077RC2?
Can I go with 076 or 077RC1 instead?
Or for as long as 077RC2 is not properly launched new NativeEx downloads won't work properly?
Thanks mate.

@jazclaz
You do like ranting, don't you?
Most of the times I tend to agree with your rants, but this time around I'm not sure.
Yep, I'm not that active on the forum but I am a long time lurker and some time ago I even registered so I can interact.
You like ranting. Well I'm sorry but I also like ranting and this time around my rant is on you.
Sometimes you act just as if you own the truth.
Sometimes you don't even try to help a newcomer and you just throw 5 or 6 threads at him/her.
Usually you point people to very helpful threads on the subject in hands.
But..., there's always a but, sometimes you point people to 5 or 6 threads and those 5 or 6 have 3 or 4 posts from you also pointing to some other 5 or 6 different threads and in those 5 or 6 there's always a post from you pointing to some other different 5 or 6 threads and...
You get the picture don't you?
I do acknowledge that it is guys like you, like Peter, Nuno, Lancelot, Medieval, etc, etc, that keep places like boot-land rocking with new stuff all the time.
You guys, have to come up with ideas, development and you still help each other by giving free assistance on your free projects.
For that, you all deserve a medal of honor.
But sometimes, and let me emphasize the sometimes word in all these sentences, you can completely ruin the chances of someone finding a solution to a problem by sending him/her to read dozens of threads while some of these threads even point to themselves.
Being a forum admin myself, I do understand what you are trying to do.
You are giving 'power to the people'.
You throw knowledge at them and you expect them to grow wings on their backs so they can fly by themselves.
That happens many times but once in a while someone gets dizzy with so many threads and with so much information.
Please take my criticism with a pinch of salt and let me tell you that if it weren't for guys like you I would still be using floppy disk drives to boot up my PCs.
All I'm saying is that sometimes we can all discuss the same subject AND sometimes a second discussion will lead us to a different approach or to a new method ;-).
Just my two cents, sorry for the wall of text and I am deeply sorry if somehow I offended you, as it clearly is not my intention.
Regards.

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

That's fine Peter.
If it ain't ready, then it ain't ready and I (we) can't have it.
But can you let me know what's with NativeEx asking specifically for 077RC2?
Can I go with 076 or 077RC1 instead?
Or for as long as 077RC2 is not properly launched new NativeEx downloads won't work properly?
Thanks mate.

Reality passed your post.

Now RC2 is published. :lol:

Peter

EDIT: Sorry, I did not really answer your question.

nativeEx is thought to be an experimental project, rather than to be used 'productivelly'.
It offers ideas, solutions, samples etc. for other projects.

Therefore during my development work I continously implement new syntax into nativeEx_barebone (if applicable).

This of course can cause that I replace 'running code' with 'code runable in the future'.

I think that is the lesser evil than having no samples after publishing a new WB version.

But I got your post as inducement, in future to have a 'nativeEx_established' in addition to the 'nativeEx_InWork'.

Thanks!

Peter

#17 john3voltas

john3voltas

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hi Peter.
Thanks for clarifying that. :lol:
It makes sense that NativeEx goes hands-in-hands with Winbuilder.
It's just that I didn't know that NativeEx was so much devoted to development.
Anyway, thanks for you help/reply.
Cheers

#18 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

@jazclaz
You do like ranting, don't you?

Not really. ;)

I use this "style" from time to time, just to try and convey more vigorously my opinions, which of course can always be confuted or discussed, but preferably :( NOT ignored.

Most of the times I tend to agree with your rants, but this time around I'm not sure.

Well, you'll have to make up your mind, you can be with me or against me, no prisoners taken. ;)

Just joking. :lol:

You like ranting. Well I'm sorry but I also like ranting and this time around my rant is on you.

More accurately, on how I behave on this and other boards, which is acceptable, while ranting on me is not ;) .

Sometimes you act just as if you own the truth.

Yep, ;) and sometimes (please read seldom) it may actually happen, the whole point is whether I do actually hold it in the same exact moment when I act like "as if". ;)

Sometimes you don't even try to help a newcomer and you just throw 5 or 6 threads at him/her.

Sure. ;)
You are right, in those cases I should add a note, something to the effect of:
I am sorry but I already covered the weekly or daily amount of hours dedicated to helping people I am NOT payed for, you'll have to find your ways through this bunch of links I quickly put together. We apologize for the inconveniences.

Usually you point people to very helpful threads on the subject in hands.

We endeavour to offer the best "service". B)

But..., there's always a but, .....

Sure, life is tough. ;)

You are giving 'power to the people'.

Only, modestly, trying to.
http://www.litera.co.uk/t/MjI3OTY/

I was born modest. Not all over, but in spots.

You throw knowledge at them and you expect them to grow wings on their backs so they can fly by themselves.

Nice image. ;)

Though I see it more as offering opportunities... ... people have to make their own choices, and spending time in learning is a tough one to take... ... but when it happens it is such a satisfaction :) to see yet another one flying with his/her own wings... :P

That happens many times but once in a while someone gets dizzy with so many threads and with so much information.

With no offence whatever intended to anyone, I see those hopefully not-so-frequent cases as collateral damage in the process of evolution (survival of the fittest):
http://en.wikipedia...._of_the_fittest

Please take my criticism with a pinch of salt and let me tell you that if it weren't for guys like you I would still be using floppy disk drives to boot up my PCs.
All I'm saying is that sometimes we can all discuss the same subject AND sometimes a second discussion will lead us to a different approach or to a new method ;-).

Yep :), that is exactly the scope of my "rants", to actually provoke some discussion and exchange of ideas, something that I usually completely fail to succeed with.

Just my two cents, sorry for the wall of text and I am deeply sorry if somehow I offended you, as it clearly is not my intention.

No offence taken, rest assured. :)

B)

jaclaz

#19 rmarkwar

rmarkwar
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

I guess I do not understand the web site but were can I download WinBuilder 077 ???

#20 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:39 AM

Downloads / beta at http://winbuilder.net/news.php

#21 WHassenpflug

WHassenpflug

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hi Peter,
when trying to build my Winbilder Iso, I get two errors (one of them refers to your script HoJoPE Hives Factory!) and a lot of warnings (57) -
what to do?
:lol:

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.htm   46.85KB   574 downloads

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

Hi Peter,
when trying to build my Winbilder Iso, I get two errors (one of them refers to your script HoJoPE Hives Factory!) and a lot of warnings (57) -
what to do?
:idea:

The errors I already fixed in nativeEx_barebone.

In the time until the fixes appear in your project, you can switch off 'Stop on Error' in Tools > options.
Then still wrong information is given to the PE. But like before, the wrong information will appearently not hinder the PE to run.

Warnings: Primarily, do not worry about them.
Some show a wrong syntax (usually missing quotes). But in nearly all cases WinBuilder brings the wanted result, inspite of the wrong syntax.
Most of them show that one script overwrites something a different script has done. If the PE boots well, forget it.

If the PE does not run well, these warnings should give some hints to find the 'bad boy'.

Peter

BTW: Some more info you can read in the 077 RC2 Realease notes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users