6 replies to this topic

#1 KroFF

KroFF
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hi, i'm a fresh Isostick user, and i'm very happy with it.

The only thing missing ( or i didn't find it) is an option to hide the .iso files from the boot menu.

I have a few bootable isos (win, linux, acronis, hiren,..) but also some other iso files, that are not bootable, like Office, SQL and other Microsoft stuff in original .iso format, that I use with the virtual cd mount functionality to install where there is no network available, and i don't want to install other software to mount iso files.

Sadly all of those programs show on the boot selection menu. Is there a way to hide non-bootable isos from the menu?

Thanks, and keep up the great work :)

kroff

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Topic moved to Requests.

That's a good point! At the moment there is no way to do this, so I have just added it to the to-do list on Trello: https://trello.com/c/QD6fFkPy

My first thought on the implementation is to have the firmware check if each ISO is bootable as it builds the list for isosel, but a manual option might be beneficial too. Perhaps there could be four options:

- Show all ISOs in isosel all the time.

- Fully automatic: only bootable ISOs are shown in isosel.

- Manual (exclude): user specifies which ISOs are hidden.

- Manual (include): users specifies which ISOs are shown.

I'm open to suggestion as usual, so please discuss what you would like to see for this feature here :cheers:

#3 KroFF

KroFF
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Slovenia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

hi, 

i'm looking forward to an elegant solution :)

As far as i'm concerned it would be easier to force users to use a folder structure to achieve this. For example bootable isos in "bootiso" folder, and "otheriso" for other stuff or just use an excluded folder, that isosel ignores.

br

kroff

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well, the easiest (as I see it) would be to use an archive attribute, we have normally, RSHA attributes on FAT32 under *any* OS, whilst the use of RH might cause issues in actual OS accessing the stick, I see nothing preventing the ISOSEL to "abuse" of the S attribute to  mark "unhidden" (System file) or hidden (non-System file) or of the A attribute as well, as a matter of fact the A one seem like a good choice as normally a file when copied/created has the A attribute set, I would say that using it to mean "unhidden in Isosel" could be handy, then more "advanced" users mught decide to "hide" some .iso's in Isosel by removing that attribute. :unsure:

:cheers:

Wonko

#5 warwagon

warwagon
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

Hello, I also have the same issue with isos being listed that are not bootable

In my case they are all located in a folder called "drivers" they are just a bunch of driver packs for differnet catagory of device drivers and stuff. So a fix for me would be to be able to edit the text file and just add folder names that I don't want to have scanned for ISO images.

Thanks.

#6 4U2NV2

4U2NV2
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

Is there any update on this request? It's been over 60 days just wondering if any progress has been made. Kind of messy looking at the list of all ISO files when only a handful are actually bootable.

#7 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have added the option to set a search directory for isosel, so it will only list ISOs in the specified directory (or subdirectories thereof, up to 10 levels deep). This is currently in internal beta, seen here: https://trello.com/b/FBQfKqk3

Other issues with isosel will be fixed by this update as well, and several new features added.

It should finally be ready for release this week.

Also I completely forgot about Wonko's suggestion about using the System or Archive attribute! I've just added a To Do for that here, and will get it in this or the next update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users