• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

زياد هون ناس محترمين بكفي قله ادب لحد الان همه محترمينك وما شطبو اسمك مثلا عشان هبك زوق على حالك وبكفي ولدنه

Google translate: Ziad Hun respectable people Bkiva incivility so far his Mahtermenk concern and Htabo name, for example, the Ashan HBC Zouk are you and Bkiva and Dinh

Makes perfect sense to me :)

• Motasem likes this

#27 Motasem

Motasem

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:War Make's Men And Problems Make's You Expert
    MooT®
  •  
    Jordan

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

no its wrong translate rootman what i said is ( for ziad and the other one is they must respect ppl here because they are just giving them secund chance before thy take action ... and try to be polite and stop spaming like kids )

#28 ziadkiwan

ziadkiwan

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    Lebanon

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

eyy dude we i'm having fun only :) i know they are respected and i respect them but i was just wondering :)

#29 ziadkiwan

ziadkiwan

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    Lebanon

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Google translate: Ziad Hun respectable people Bkiva incivility so far his Mahtermenk concern and Htabo name, for example, the Ashan HBC Zouk are you and Bkiva and Dinh

Makes perfect sense to me :)

:suda:  this is google dude :/

sorry for the double post something messed up :/

i know they are respected and i respect them but i was just wondering and i'm no spaming anyone ?

Edited by ziadkiwan, 27 March 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#30 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good gawd, can we just let this frikkin' thread just DIE!

YES, putting a symbolic link under your user folder to access to other folders and drives is possible and a "cheap" way of granting access to them.

YES, by doing so YOU ARE GIVING THEM ACCESS TO THE OTHER FOLDERS AND DRIVES - in these days of rampant virii and trojans is that what you want?  Giving someone full access to another drive?

To work it requires that you share your USER folder, this means that you have your sharing / network set to HOME settings with all the crap that comes with that.  I always set all network connections to WORK (if it's not PUBLIC that is).

There IS a chance that entire drive content or folder contents may be erased if the symlink is deleted in the WRONG way.

It works. it's sloppy and may further endanger your PC.  Use it or not, let's just PLEASE drop this thread.

#31 richard14110

richard14110

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

ziadkiwan:

You are forgiven because I regret correcting your errors.

Motasem:

Thanks for explaining to me that you are Arabian. Prior to this, I knew you were not a youngster because there are plenty of babies that lack the ability to write/type efficiently (literacy). No one is absolutely perfect and sorry for my rectifications. 

Rootman:

1. Protect your network with a password unless if you had already done so. Check each computer that is visible in the network map. Adjust your security settings if you spot a machine on the network that does not belong to you/your family/your pals.  

2. Before, I attempted to remove my junction by simply deleting it and the outcome was that the target was "untouched".

3. Also, you can replace the "C:\" with another folder that has no subfolder(s) or create a new folder in the root of the partition and target that instead. It is not mandatory to share the entire drive (you decide).

4. If you still sense insecurity, then remove the link.   

Edited by richard14110, 27 March 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#32 richard14110

richard14110

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

Rootman should not be infuriated by my topic. He can post his own method in his following reply and please do so if that relaxes him even further towards being satisfied. What defensive software does he have? Time to extinguish the flame...     

Edited by richard14110, 28 March 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#33 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Not infuriated, just . . . disappointed.  It's like watching the stupid American TV show Honey Boo Boo and watching all the red necks continually do embarrassing stuff.

I have a firewall, I have ALL my PCs set to WORK so that the HOME sharing and HONE GROUPS are not enabled.  I have NONE of my drives shared beyond the MS normal hidden shares for each drive (the admin$ and IPC$).  I have passwords.  Beyond that I keep a majority of my DATA on Truecrypt encrypted drives.  I am not security paranoid, just security conscience. Add having your system open for others to see your HOME folder and THEN giving them access to other drives / folders (YES Steve I am aware it can be a folder OR drive) is just adding fuel to insecurities.

It's no worry while you're at home on your own network, it's when you take that computer somewhere else and forget what you've done - or worse yet IGNORE it and then you're open for attacks.

Use it or not, it's a valid way, But just be sure that there is already a way to do it, the X$ shares, and opening up MORE can be dangerous.

Simply deleting the symlink LOCALLY is not an issue, just delete it in Explorer and it's gone.  It's when you delete it OVER A NETWORK that it can delete the CONTENTS that the symlink point to rather than the link itself.  In the situation I pointed out a woman had SYMLINKS - which I erroneously thought were simple shortcuts - on her desktop pointing to folders off the root of the C: drive.  Her Windows profile got hosed, I had her reboot and I connected to her computer over the network and deleted her entire \user\NAME folder in Explorer over the network share (I am a domain admin). This is AFTER we did a chkdsk and talked about the contents of her profile.  She assured me that all was safe and that what she didn't have on the server was tucked away OUTSIDE her profile - this was the stuff she had symlinks pointed to.  Well, I deleted her user folder and BAM!  The symlinks allowed me to delete the CONTENTS they pointed to.  At least that's what I remember happening - YEARS ago.  Now when faced with the same issue I RENAME the old profile, have the user recreate it by logging back in and then COPY the contents back in to the new one.  So IT CAN BE A DANGER of data loss.  O users doing stuff like reading how to make symlinks and putting them all over instead of shortcuts or better yet proper folder structure.  And all it takes is one foolish slip like what I made and the data is GONE.  It's just so tough to REMEMBER you've done this sort of odd thing when the chips are down and you're trying to get things back in order.

Is it WORTH the risk?  Only you can decide.  But realize this, THERE IS A RISK. Opening up further / easier access to people you may NOT want to give it too and possible (perhaps unlikely) data loss.

We've had names being called, cuss words thrown out, arguments ensued, grammar nazi's insisting on corrections. All I can think of is the events that led up to the demise of this boards predecessor and the loss of continuity and cohesion that this community once had and a fear that it may happen again.  Can we just let it go?

#34 Motasem

Motasem

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:War Make's Men And Problems Make's You Expert
    MooT®
  •  
    Jordan

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

you are absolutely correct Rootman and to add one thing u miss ( what if a hacker got into network :( it wont be good to find ready full shared pc to get it with ).

#35 richard14110

richard14110

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Suppose an intruder succeeds, then all computers on the network would be endangered. Who/What is the culprit? That hacker or my method? If the network is locked by a password, then I would believe it is the intelligent, yet malicious intruder...               

Edited by richard14110, 28 March 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#36 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Friends, all points were discussed and different perspectives exist. 

Let's please consider this discussion as concluded, I'm now closing this thread to prevent trolls from ruining the topic.

Thank you all for your understanding.

:cheers:

• Motasem likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: see, more, file, folder, network, computer, machine, access, connect, link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users