Photo

Windows 10 Install Media, x86 and x64 in one Partition, to Multi Install on UEFI Secure boot

windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Davezor

Davezor
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

hi, sorry for posting into Win8

downloaded today the Win10 media creator tool. It gives you the interessting Option to chose x86 and x64 Version on one Media in one Partition, but uses 2 different install.esd files.

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

It creates an BIOS + UEFI capable USB Stick with Install Files in one x86 and a second x64 folder including Boot, efi, Sources, support, upgrade and the install.esd Image (this should be replaceable by a install.wim) for both Versions.

I had the Idea to expand this Stick with my Win7 AIO Install Files, by adding the entry in boot\bcd. It worked to start the Setup, but stops with message that it would require additional drivers.

As far as i know before different win Setups always needed a differnt partition. Did MS a new trick in Win10 to achive this? Can we use this to create a multi Install Stick without all those other tools?

Edited by Davezor, 29 July 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#2 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:47 PM

I would say forget about 10 for now, it still has too many issues that need to be addressed. I'm going to wait about 4 to 6 months, long enoughfor it to stabilize somewhat and for some of the issues to be worked out, and the hype dies down. Then maybe I'll give clean-installing it another shot (and preferably on newer hardware than what I currently possess).

#3 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

It would be interesting to find out whether it is using a 64bit WinPE in the boot image... Previously the only way to install either x86 or x64 wim was to use an x86 boot image. This would then mean that you could only boot in UEFI mode on a system that allows an x86 EFI boot to occur. As I've said before, the old boards (and BIOS version) from when UEFI 2.3.1 came out, this was more normal, but nowadays mostly every manufacturer decided to allow one or the other.

#4 Davezor

Davezor
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

There are two different boot.wim images that run the setup.

When you boot, you have to chose 32 or 64 bit setup from bcd menu.

There are two different sub folders with all the files for 32 and 64 bit. Its not a all in one install.esd (.wim). This led to my idea adding 8 and 7 Setup Folders, and integrate them to the bcd menu

i could boot the Win7 Setup but it stops asking for device drivers, i think the install.wim is not found

Edited by Davezor, 29 July 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#5 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

hi Davezor,

does this same W7 source prompt for drivers if you try it by itself in the normal way? WES7 (embedded) often will prompt for drivers and also allows you to browse for them but I havnt done enought W7 installs to recall if it does this.

#6 Davezor

Davezor
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

hi,

no the W7 Source ist tested and worked hundreds of times before. The error message is not accurate in this case

Edited by Davezor, 29 July 2015 - 09:15 PM.

#7 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

hi,

no the W7 Source ist tested and worked hundreds of times bevor. The error message is not accurate in this case

have you tried it on this exact same hardware? I like your idea though, hope you can work it out to success!

#8 Davezor

Davezor
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

yes, the W7 source was installed allready on this machine.

im not sure how the setup procedure searches für the install.wim file, and what does the win10 setup different than 7

Edited by Davezor, 29 July 2015 - 09:12 PM.

#9 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

Maybe you need \sources\setup.exe  like Win7/8 - is it in different place for Win10

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users