• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

-
*** Update VHD_W7_Compact - Program to make Mini 7 ***

- Filelist VHD_W7\copy_7vhd.txt and mini_7vhd.txt - improvement in winsxs for support of vcredist 2005 and 2008
- Solved FileCopy Error that could occur when both NetFrame and 4 were checked and then would give OVERFLOW popup
- BOOT_IMG.exe - Solved bcdedit not found in case of x64 OS

:cheers:

#27 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

I tried VHD_W7C_76, I was using IMG_XP_74 until now. I created a mini7 - no dotnet. On boot it said "d3d11.dll missing". If that file was copied, it worked well. Thanks. Now I have a W7 that I can boot as ramdisk on a old P4 PC.

Is it possible to have the boot files on the VHD using VHD_W7C_76 ? I did it manually.

#28 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I tried VHD_W7C_76, I was using IMG_XP_74 until now. I created a mini7 - no dotnet. On boot it said "d3d11.dll missing". If that file was copied, it worked well. Thanks. Now I have a W7 that I can boot as ramdisk on a old P4 PC.

Is it possible to have the boot files on the VHD using VHD_W7C_76 ? I did it manually.

Thanks for feedback !

d3d11.dll  is excluded on VHD_W7\Exc_mini7_sys32.txt and I will remove it from that exclude list.

The boot files on the VHD are now made only when option Make Boot Menu is checked.

I will move that part of code outside the option just as done already earlier for USB_W7_Fix.exe and VHD_W8_Compact.exe

I simply forgot to move it outside the Make Boot Menu routine for the case of VHD_W7_Compact.exe

So in next version all issues will be solved .....

#29 GBossN4eVr

GBossN4eVr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hi again,  I wasn't sure but did you say that the new version VHD_W7C_76 had the necessary updates for the issue I previously asked about because I made a new Portable W7 using VHD Compact from the new version and I still got

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the applications support team for more information."

I made sure the program [Simple Tv Player.exe/portable] worked in the freshly created Windows7.vhd before using VHD compact but then when I booted into the Portable vhd I get the aforementioned Runtime Error!

Am I doing anything wrong or should I still make the adjustments to Vhd_copy.txt you mentioned earlier?

#30 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

I made sure the program [Simple Tv Player.exe/portable] worked in the freshly created Windows7.vhd before using VHD compact but then when I booted into the Portable vhd I get the aforementioned Runtime Error!

Am I doing anything wrong or should I still make the adjustments to Vhd_copy.txt you mentioned earlier?

The new version tried to fix the error and it has certainly important improvements in winsxs,

but as you experienced it is not yet enough to get things working for you.

You can try to modify Exc_port7_sys32.txt file which is the list of system32 files that are not copied.

May be first use empty list.

I hope you can fix the error by modifying copy_7vhd.txt and Exc_port7_sys32.txt 

but it might also be that you need more of NetFrame defined in nf20_7vhd.txt

Make filelist dir-w7fresh.txt of fresh Win7 and also make filelist after install of vcredist 2005 + installed TV player.

Then use UltraCompare to see what extra files are needed by using Just Differences and modify above given files accordingly.

To get filelist you boot with fresh Win7.vhd and open admin command window at root C:\ and then run

dir /b /s /on /a-d >dir-w7fresh.txt

#31 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

-
*** Update VHD_W7_Compact - Program to make Mini 7 ***

- Folder Boot and bootmgr inside Win7-VHD is made also when Option "Make Boot Menu" is not selected
- Added USB_W7_Fix.exe to fix existing USB-drive or Win7 VHD for booting from USB

#32 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

The option "Internet Explorer" in VHD_W7C_78 only works with IE8 or also with IE10 ?

I don't normally use IE. I made the 'mistake' of installing IE10 (and updates) before creating a Portable Win7. I notice that

"https

But "http://news.google.com/news" displays OK on both.

Or is it due to the "https" ?

I never had this prob with IE8.

Thanks.

EDIT : I may have made a mistake with the above Portable W7.

I installed IE11 (updated from IE10) on the source. Recreated the Portable W7 VHD and IE11 now displays sites OK.

#33 dot.net

dot.net
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

I am unable to download v78.  I get a 'Sorry, we couldn't find that!' error message.  In the previous versions section, I am able to download v76.  Anyone else seeing this?

#34 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

I am unable to download v78.  I get a 'Sorry, we couldn't find that!' error message.  In the previous versions section, I am able to download v76.  Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks, it is fixed now ...

Download VHD_W7C_78http://reboot.pro/fi...ct-make-mini-7/

#35 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hi Wimb,

first of all, many thanks for creating and sharing such amazing tools!

I have a couple of questions:

1) I use as main OS Win7 Ultimate installed on a VHD. I would like to create a Portable version of my current Win 7 Ultimate vhd to use on a new pc having new different CPU/MB/etc. I have copied my current Win7 Ultimate vhd 40GBytes file to another internal hard drive.

Is it possible to use this copy of my current Win7 Ultimate vhd 40GBytes file as source VHD Image File in your VHD_W7_Compact tool?

2) Can you please explain which path should I add to the "User Path" field in your VHD_W7_Compact tool?

If I use a VHD Image File as source, your program asks me to "Select your User folder in Win7 Source Drive".

Am I supposed to attach this VHD file and choose the Users folder inside the VHD file?

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Rudompie

#36 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

1) I use as main OS Win7 Ultimate installed on a VHD. I would like to create a Portable version of my current Win 7 Ultimate vhd to use on a new pc having new different CPU/MB/etc. I have copied my current Win7 Ultimate vhd 40GBytes file to another internal hard drive.

Is it possible to use this copy of my current Win7 Ultimate vhd 40GBytes file as source VHD Image File in your VHD_W7_Compact tool?

You can use the copied VHD as Source but then you must NOT boot with Win7 VHD having the same signature.

VHD of the same signature cannot be mounted inside VHD. This will give a signature conflict.

You can use that VHD as source after booting with any other Win 7/8 VHD or 7PE or Win 7/8 partition.

2) Can you please explain which path should I add to the "User Path" field in your VHD_W7_Compact tool?

If I use a VHD Image File as source, your program asks me to "Select your User folder in Win7 Source Drive".
Am I supposed to attach this VHD file and choose the Users folder inside the VHD file?

You should not attach that VHD.
After GO then VHD_W7_Compact.exe will Attach the selected VHD file and give Selector where you must choose your User folder inside the mounted VHD.

W7C_User.png

#37 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Here is a Video on How to use VHD_W7_Compact.exe :)

• Brito likes this

#38 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Wimb,

Thank you very much for the clarification and for the video! Now is everything crystal clear.

I only have 1 vhd so I guess I have to create a new one anyway ... I was hoping I could avoid that step :(.

Cheers,

Rudompie

Edited by rdomp, 02 December 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#39 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

That is a nice video. Which tool are you using to create the video? :)

#40 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have used FastStone Capture 7.6 

http://www.faststone.org/index.htm

This Screen Recorder is indeed very handy to make a Video :)

You can Select a Rectangular Area of the screen and it has a Hotkey to Pause / Resume  Ctrl + F11

• Brito likes this

#41 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Very good. Thanks, will keep it in mind. :cheers:

• wimb likes this

#42 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

-
*** Update VHD_W7_Compact - Make Mini 7 VHD ***

Added USB_W7_Fix.exe so that you can fix Win 7/8 Drive or VHD for booting from USB.
When you use it in Win 7/8 or 7 PE environment then you can Add Drivers 
and can Make Boot Manager Menu on Selected Target Boot Drive .

#43 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

I was helping a friend to make a Portable 7 using this tool. The vhd will only be booted from the same system from HDD. So none of the options on the left side of 'Settings' was selected. Source was W7 32 bit Enterprise (updated) installed to HDD.

I've done this before on two of my computers and it worked fine, except I was using IMG_XP_74 at the time ( not VHD_W7C_7x ).

Everything works OK, except whenever any UFD is plugged in, it says "device needs to be formatted". What could be the reason ?

#44 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

Strange report ... and I  think it is not related to version of VHD_W7_Compact.exe that you used.

How did you format that UFD and did you test to connect that UFD after booting with Win7 Source ?

Also test to connect that UFD after booting with other VHD that you made earlier.

#45 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

Hardware is Intel G2020 with Gigabyte B75M-D3H.

Tried 2 UFDs : one formatted with BOOT_USB & one with normal Win 7,

Tried on 2 different USB ports ( USB 2.0 ).

Both worked OK with the source Win 7 installed on a HDD partition.

One of the UFDs is mine, formatted with BOOT_USB and it works OK on both my systems ( using Win7 Portable ).

The only thing I can think of is - I may not have used any UFD on the source Win 7 before using VHD_W7C_7x . We will try again when I go there next.

One question, not related to above : Is it abs necessary to mount a VHD on the source Win 7 before creating a Portable 7 ( the VHD driver gets loaded then ). Both 'boot from ramdisk' & 'boot from filedisk' are done via g4d ( I dont boot the vhd via bootmgr, normally ).

#46 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

Instead of BOOT_USB I propose you to try UFD_FORMAT

which creates FAT32 UFD that are compatible for booting on UEFI hardware.

http://reboot.pro/li...t-manager-menu/

http://reboot.pro/to...140-ufd-format/

The UFD should also be recognised when it was not yet to Win7 Source.

It is not abs necessary to mount a VHD on the source Win7

The VHD driver is anyway available and van be used if desired.

#47 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

I can finally afford to upgrade after more than 5 years. My current system has 4GB RAM. When I boot Portable 7 32bit as RAMdisk, I have approx 900 MB free RAM ( vhd size is 2GB ). If I have 8GB RAM, and boot a 2GB vhd as RAMdisk will I then have approx 900 MB + 4GB as free RAM; or does the 4GB limit still hold ? 

How can I take full advantage of the 8GB RAM ? ( I want to boot Portable Win 7 as RAMdisk )

EDIT : I really don't want to use 64 bit W7.

#48 tblo

tblo

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Science, Art, philosophy!
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Wimb I have a general question for you relating to this project and whether or not it is ideal for a project I am fixing to undertake. Secondary question I suppose to the community at large if they have any alternate or better ideas for what I trying to accomplish (outlined as follows).

Wimb admittedly while your makePE3 program is awesome, I must admit I know nothing about this project it seem like it might be perfect for what I need but could just as easily be 100% useless for what I have in mind.

I have a home theater PC & I want to set it up to have a very 'console esq' feel. I have steam on it for video games, I use media center to watch tv (via a HDHomerun Prime on my network), use an Internet browser for YouTube and amazon prime, have a fancy bat script to launch music videos from my personal collection in media player classic (w/ combined community codec pack), and another script to open the network folder with the mp4's of all my dvd's to select what movie to watch.

(Bare with me I'm getting to where this project may or may not come in)

I tried using a multi-desktop solution (several in fact) almost all of them work on the premiss of hiding windows that aren't supposed to be on a given desktop, problem is some programs notably steam and windows media center don't play along with that methodology and or get really buggy (steam always shows up regardless, media center sort of works but start glitching and occasionally shows through). Found a multi desktop program based on making 'desktop objects' (2 actually, one by Microsoft and a more feature rich one called nSpaces) the windows stay where they are supposed to but the aero rendering system only works on the main desktop and whatever the backup render is all video content (local or web based) 'clips' or tares (w/ as the center piece of my living room is not personally acceptable).

My current plan of attack is to use a multi desktop in conjunction with VMware (i7(4real core w/ HT each) 16gigs ram, blue ray drive, 1tb Hdd, win 7 ultimate- so I can afford to have a few VM's open) I don't want to use 20~30 gigs per vm 10-15 would be preferable.

So my question for wimb is: is this mini win7 Environment suitable for the aero rendering system to work and is or can media center be present (planning to run steam on the real un virtualized desktop - obvious performance reasons, and every desktop to have its own singular task eg YouTube/prime/personal music videos/personal movies/ general web browsing).
My question to the community is anyone else got any ideas how to accomplish this?

#49 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

If I wanted to make a "Portable 7" without any tweaks, how would I do it ? That is, I only want to make a smaller Win 7, not interested in making it portable. I don't want any changes to be made in files/reg/settings. The vhd will only be used on the same system as the source Win7.

I tried to go thru the VHD_W7_Compact au3 source but I'm a bit unsure. If you could point out which parts of the code I need to comment out that will do. Are the registry tweaks the only changes it makes ? Actually such a option might be useful to a few others too ( simpler than using a program to create a Win7 lite install iso ).

The portable Win7 made by your program works really well. 

#50 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

In the AutoIt3 program code you can comment out the rules having "reg import makebt\registry_tweaks"

Better not to change the program, but instead make desired changes to the applied registry_tweaks

You can modify the files in folder makebt\registry_tweaks e.g. supply empty files or edit to make desired changes for

HKLM_softwaredst_Add.reg and HKLM_systemdst_Add_W7.reg and HKLM_systemdst_USB_W7.reg and HKLM_systemdst_waitbt.reg

But actually these tweaks do no harm, so I don't see any need why you should make such modifications ....

The W8 tweaks are not used by VHD_W7_Compact.exe since they are only used by USB_W7_Fix.exe in case of fixing W8 for booting from USB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win7, vhd, usb, mini7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users