#1 armixen

armixen

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

Heya,

Are there any scripts (not code) to make an ARM64 PE?

My new ASUS Nova TP370QL Qualcomm/ARM64 PC can only emulate x86 apps, and does not run AMD64 at all.

Since I suspect there's no native ARM64 apps yet for PE building, it would be great to have batch files or similar.

Even better would be the option to add x86 emulation support to the built ARM64 PE image as well!

Then I could really get busy with this PE image running legacy x86 apps...

-Armixen

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:38 PM

I don't think that the issue is with the Winbuilder (or with other scripting processors), but rather with the *whatever* is in the Windows 10 ARM build, anyway you can start with Make-PE3 by wimb, it will need to be adapted, but at least you have a start:

http://reboot.pro/to...e-windows-7-pe/

The tool has - I believe - been (senselessly) discontinued by its Author, a copy of version 40 is here:

http://files.kaseya....e/Make_PE32.txt

I have even not any idea on what the contents of the OS are. : :blush: .

If I were you (and I was actually convinced that the act of merely touching Windows 10 with anything but a 3 foot pole would not make permanent damage to my PC or to my mental health ;)) I would try to setup on a normal PC a Qemu VM with the actual OS and see what happens, *like* here:

https://winaero.com/...ws-10-arm-qemu/

:duff:

Wonko

#3 armixen

armixen

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

Thank you, Wonko.

Make-PE3 sounds like a dream, but it is for Windows 7 PE's only. That won't work - I need a Windows 10 PE.

For that matter, even RE would do fine, especially if I could add x86 emulation support to it! Then all my regular imagers would run just fine.

Thanks for the Qemu link, but Win10 on ARM is already very slow for x86 code, I cannot imagine how much worse it would be with Qemu.

Anyone else?

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the Qemu link, but Win10 on ARM is already very slow for x86 code, I cannot imagine how much worse it would be with Qemu.

It is not like you have *any* other options, and as a matter of fact having it on a slow setup is not at all bad when experimenting.

But I see that you are looking for a pre-made solution:

Make-PE3 sounds like a dream, but it is for Windows 7 PE's only. That won't work - I need a Windows 10 PE.

the problem is not Win7PE vs. Win10PE (they are similar enough, at least for a basic PE) the issue is the vs. Win10ARMPE.

The whole ARM stuff is very recent, noone (set apart from you) has such a machine (yet), and noone (again yet) even knows the booting mechanism, the files involved, etc., the documentation is scarce, etc.

Given the MS attitude for code re-use, it is very likely that there are enough similarities, but I believe that there are enough differences (due to the different architecture) that some serious experimenting is needed.

Wonko

#5 armixen

armixen

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

It is not like you have *any* other options, and as a matter of fact having it on a slow setup is not at all bad when experimenting.

But I see that you are looking for a pre-made solution:

the problem is not Win7PE vs. Win10PE (they are similar enough, at least for a basic PE) the issue is the vs. Win10ARMPE.

The whole ARM stuff is very recent, noone (set apart from you) has such a machine (yet), and noone (again yet) even knows the booting mechanism, the files involved, etc., the documentation is scarce, etc.

Given the MS attitude for code re-use, it is very likely that there are enough similarities, but I believe that there are enough differences (due to the different architecture) that some serious experimenting is needed.

Wonko

It is true what you say about a slow system being advantageous for testing sometimes, but I have already "bit the bullet" and powered on the ARM64 device, which is currently running in S mode, so there is little reason left for such an expensive approach time-wise.

You cannot transition back to S mode after upgrading to full Windows 10 Pro, which may be something I may have to lose ultimately, because you cannot do anything in S mode (you would probably not even approach S mode from orbit if it were on another planet). However, I suppose, a good starting point might be the Windows RE that is included with the ARM64 laptop!!!

In fact, if we can find a way to add the 32-bit WoW (Windows on Windows) subsystem to this ARM64 Windows RE image, that would suit all of my requirements perfectly. I can run any imaging tool I like easily. In fact, I would like to try this quickly, maybe even without messing with the S mode situation. Do you know how to add WoW support to an existing Windows RE/PE image? Again, I would need to be able to do the process by running a few scripts here and there (most probably after booting into RE mode, from the command line there).

Maybe I can even run EXE in RE mode on the device, since that would sidestep all kinds of S issues...

BTW Macrium have also confirmed they don't support ARM64 at the moment, so the best is to really add WoW to RE.

Edited by armixen, 16 August 2018 - 11:12 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arm64

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users