Photo

How to dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 using WinNTSetup script without rebooting to WinPE again ?

winntsetup windows 7 windows 10 dual boot command line auto-install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

I want to run a 'WinNTSetup' script within from WinPE10 which will install 'Win 7' to %SYSPART% partition
 and 'Win 10' to %SYSPART1% one after another without booting to WinPE again. I mean I want to autorun 'SMART_AUTO.cmd' so that it will make complete Dual Boot of 'Windows 7' and 'Windows 10' without any further
attention of user action !!!

Is it possible ?
Does 'WinNTSetup' support installing two OSes in a Disk one after another without booting to WinPE again ?
:SMART_7
if exist %SYSPART% format %SYSPART% /Q /Y /V:"Windows 7"
set XML=%PTN2%\_ISO\WINDOWS\INSTALLS\CONFIGS\SMART_CHOCO.xml
%WinNTSetup% NT6 -source:%PTN2%\sources\install.esd -WimIndex:2 -syspart:%SYSPART% -tempdrive:%SYSPART% -unattend:"%XML%"-ForceUnsigned -drivers:"%PTN2%\driver_Win7x86" -Sysletter:C -RunAfter:"set_7_usb_boot.cmd C:\windows" -OEM:%PTN2% -setup -reboot
goto :EOF

:SMART_10
if exist %SYSPART% format %SYSPART% /Q /Y /V:"Windows 10"
%WinNTSetup% NT6 -source:%PTN2%\sources\install.esd -WimIndex:6 -syspart:%SYSPART% -tempdrive:%SYSPART% -unattend:"%XML%"-ForceUnsigned -drivers:"%PTN2%\driver_Win7x86" -Sysletter:C -RunAfter:"set_7_usb_boot.cmd C:\windows" -OEM:%PTN2% -setup -reboot

Can I make automatic Dual Boot of 'Win 7' and 'Win 10' using 'WinNTSetup' based batch file ?

Regards..

#2 Trumk

Trumk

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:40 AM

forget it

Edited by Trumk, 23 July 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

For OS setups, I make sure I have the right partition, format it as C: and make it active. Specially the "active" part is important for an OS setup that requires multiple reboots.

Not really useful/appropriate in a multi-boot setup, just for the record and as a side note.

Particularly for a Windows 7 + Windows 10 dual boot where BOTH OS's should ideally reside on two different volumes, both of which are NOT active, the active one being the small "boot" (what MS calls "System") volume that gets no drive letter.

Otherwise in a "monolithic" install you would use anyway a bootmanager like grub4dos or similar and you would have all the possibilities in the word to change the active partition, hide the other one, etc.

But of course devdevadev idea equates to "looking for troubles", more or less like each and every "fully unattended" approach.

I am old (and grumpy, and cheap, but this latter is irrelevant here) and I have seen a lot of water going under the bridges in my time, but I never fully grasped the utility of similar approaches :w00t:, unless of course - maybe - for professionals that install tens or hundreds of OS's per month.

Simply the time it takes to put together something really "unattended", fully working and (hopefully) error-free is equivalent to installing some tens of OS's manually/attended.

Nowadays with the stupid update model of the stupid Windows 10 it becomes possibly even more frustrating as the procedure finally working for a given version/release is likely to have issues with next one.

:duff:
Wonko

#4 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

Seems a dumb idea to me.

For OS setups, I make sure I have the right partition, format it as C: and make it active. Specially the "active" part is important for an OS setup that requires multiple reboots.

why complicate things with two concurrent installs?

I am totally agree with you. Mostly I install both Win 7 and Win 10 in a new PC within from WinPE10 using WinNTSetup. I am a visually Impaired and feel problems in seeing white screen in WinPE environment *(in Full OS I use High Contrast Black theme) even at near distance. I have to focus my eyes too much. As i will be already make SURE where I am going to install OS. So there is no risk for any accidental format of wrong drive. I will be aware of all risk during the install process. I will take care of all possible install scenarios in my 'SMART_AUTO.cmd'. I am preparing 'SMART_USB.cmd' so that I will be able to install Windows OS and other repairs without seeing to screen. I will just have to choose a number to install a particular 'Windows Configuration Scenario'. May be this IDEA look dumb for most of you normal persons but It will be really very useful and time saving for me *(specially in near future when I will have tunnel vision or total blindness !!! ).

AFAIK, When we apply second OS (Win 10) just after applying first OS (Win 7), then then Win 10 continue to complete setup till Desktop. And after completing Windows 10 if we restart and choose 'Win 7' entry from boot manager then It does not continue till Desktop and gives error message ??

#5 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:49 AM

:DualBoot_Win_7_10

if exist %SYSPART% format %SYSPART% /Q /Y /V:"Windows 7"
%WinNTSetup% NT6 -source:%PTN2%\sources\install.esd -WimIndex:2 -syspart:%SYSPART% -tempdrive:%OSPART1% -unattend:"%XML%"-ForceUnsigned -drivers:"%PTN2%\driver_Win7x86" -Sysletter:C -RunAfter:"set_7_usb_boot.cmd C:\windows" -OEM:%PTN2%\sources -setup -reboot

if exist %SYSPART1% format %SYSPART1% /Q /Y /V:"Windows 10"
%WinNTSetup% NT6 -source:%PTN2%\sources\install.esd -WimIndex:6 -syspart:%SYSPART% -tempdrive:%OSPART2% -unattend:"%XML%"-Sysletter:C -OEM:%PTN2%\sources -setup -reboot

I think after restart 'Win 10' will continue remaining installation phases till preparing the desktop. After reaching at the desktop of 'Win 10', I will have to auto boot to 'Win 7' entry in order to complete remaining installation phases of 'Win 7'. 

So how I can set to auto boot to a particular BCD *(Win 7) entry after auto-restart of 'Win 10' ? Is there any command line way to auto boot to a BCD entry after restart ?

OR May be after reaching at the desktop of 'Win 10', I should set 'Win 7' boot entry as default OS using command line and then just restart to auto continue remaining installation phases of 'Win 7' ?

bcdedit /default {Windows 7 identifier} 

Suppose I have Dual boot of 'Win 7' and 'Win 10'. And I am booted to 'Win 10' desktop. So how can I automatically get  'Windows 7 identifier' using command line ? So that I can make 'Windows 7' as default OS. And then just restart to continue remaining installation phases of 'Win 7'...??

How 'WinNTSetup' automatically detect 'syspart' drive if exist and assign BootDest=Z: (while in Disk Mgmt there is no drive letter set for 'System Reserved' partition ?). I also want to set BootDest=Z: if 'System Reserved' partition exist otherwise I will use BootDest=%OSPart1%

How 'Search...' button dialog box is different from normal File Explorer ? How WinNTSetup can see 'System Reserved' partition as Z: while normal File Explorer and Disk Mgmt had not assigned any drive letter to 'System Reserved' partition ? What is secret trick JFX had used here ? Please help me to understood this concept ...

#6 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:25 AM

bcdedit /default {Windows 7 Ultimate identifier}

Does Windows 7 have different identifiers for different editions ?

What is unique identifier for 'Windows 7 Ultimate' ? Does Windows 7 Ultimate also have different identifiers for different variants ? 

#7 annabeltbaxter

annabeltbaxter
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 February 2023 - 02:52 AM

Hey there! Interesting question about dual booting Win 7 and Win 10 using WinNTSetup script without rebooting to WinPE again. I'm not an expert on this topic, but have you tried checking out Reddit for any solutions? The Reddit community is pretty active and knowledgeable, so you might find some helpful answers there.
And while you're at it, don't forget to check out the reddit windows keys section for some great deals on legit Windows keys if you need one.
Good luck and happy dual booting! Let us know if you find a solution that works for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winntsetup, windows 7, windows 10, dual boot, command line, auto-install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users