#101 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:19 AM

If you add the downloaded Porteus-Kiosk-5.0.0-x86_64.iso to Ventoy Drive and launch it in Ventoy Menu with agFM partnew

then configuring the ISO involves writing to the USB Drive so that the original Ventoy way of booting is destroyed and you only can boot in BIOS mode with KIOSK  :ph34r:

The USB does not have drive letter anymore and you need to wipe or clean the drive with DiskPart and create new partition to make it usable again .....

When Kiosk.iso is configuring then What is writing to the Ventoy USB Drive that prevent UEFI Booting of KIOSK ISO ?

I think if KIOSK.iso is booted by using E2B+agFM partnew option then it should not disturb booting of E2B agFM ? 

#102 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:41 AM

When Kiosk.iso is configuring then What is writing to the Ventoy USB Drive that prevent UEFI Booting of KIOSK ISO ?

I think if KIOSK.iso is booted by using E2B+agFM partnew option then it should not disturb booting of E2B agFM ? 

Kiosk has changed the MBR code and partition table of Ventoy drive needed for initiating Grub2.

Anyway UEFI Secure booting of Ventoy drive did not work anymore after configuring Kiosk using partnew in agFM.

In E2B+agFM the special form of partnew will be OK as steve6375 reported about it.

• devdevadev likes this

#103 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:09 AM

Kiosk has changed the MBR code and partition table of Ventoy drive needed for initiating Grub2.

Anyway UEFI Secure booting of Ventoy drive did not work anymore after configuring Kiosk using partnew in agFM.

In E2B+agFM the special form of partnew will be OK as steve6375 reported about it.

I thought Partnew boot option of both 'a1ive agFM' and 'E2B+agFM' are same. Will be interesting to know How Partnew of E2B+agFM is different from Partnew of 'a1ive agFM' ?

In your approach you first boot from Ventoy and then switch to agFM Menu and use Partnew option ?
But E2B+agFM direct boot to agFM PTN2 and then use Partnew Boot option for Kiosk.iso...
AFAIK, Latest a1ive agFM also have 'Ventoy Boot Option'. Have anybody tested 'Kiosk.iso' using 'Ventoy Boot Option' in latest 'a1ive agFM ?

#104 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:30 AM

E2B agfm does not include ventoy yet as it is not in main build of grubfm.

#105 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:06 AM

Hi Steve,

But I see in your Screenshot that the Kiosk partnew option in agFM has label [.isodef] which is not standard in agFM.

That is may be why you don't have problem as I encountered with Kiosk ISO

#106 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

.isodef is the partnew option I just changed the entry text slightly.

When Porteus boots - I follow the Configure steps and select FireFox as the browser, up to the point where it asks to install at 'System Installation' and asks for target device.

Then I click on the  'Browser' button at the bottom of the form to run FireFox.

You can also save the configured ISO to another device. I have not tried this, but presumably you could boot from this saved iso in a similar way and it would not run the Wizard.

Attached Thumbnails

• proteus_browser.JPG

• wimb likes this

#107 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

P.S. I inserted another E2B removable USB drive and I saved the new Porteus-Kiosk.iso file to it.

Then I booted to the new Porteus-Kisok.iso file and it boots to the Browser and works as a Kiosk (no wizard).

• wimb and devdevadev like this

#108 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:53 AM

.isodef is the partnew option I just changed the entry text slightly.

When Porteus boots - I follow the Configure steps and select FireFox as the browser, up to the point where it asks to install at 'System Installation' and asks for target device.

Then I click on the  'Browser' button at the bottom of the form to run FireFox.

You can also save the configured ISO to another device. I have not tried this, but presumably you could boot from this saved iso in a similar way and it would not run the Wizard.

Thanks for the detailed Info. :)

I see now the mistake that I have made: I clicked on Install System button instead of Browser button and then I ruined booting of the Ventoy Drive ....

#109 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

Venoy 1.0.10 recently added new filesystem type support for the 1st partition (ntfs/udf/xfs/ext2/ext3/ext4).
Why not also add support of FAT32 filesystem for Partition 1 ?

IN a1ive agFM, He had modified the source code of ventoy module, and it can be used in any filesystems. grubfm+ventoy should also work on ntfs / fat partitions. But ventoy's script in linux initrd may not work on non-exfat partitions.

It will be nice if FAT32, NTFS and exFAT will be supported by Ventoy for both Partition 1 and Partition 3 of USB Drive. In E2B+agFM USB Drive we use both Partition 1 and Partition 3 for ISOs. So at least add support for FAT32 file system for Partition 1.

When we will use Ventoy boot option in a1ive agFM, then we can browse ISO in any Filesystem of any Partition of USB Drive. Why you have limited Ventoy to only Partition 1 ? Is it possible to also have ISOs in Partition 3 and Partition 2 also ?

Regards..

#110 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:51 AM

Venoy 1.0.10 recently added new filesystem type support for the 1st partition (ntfs/udf/xfs/ext2/ext3/ext4).
Why not also add support of FAT32 filesystem for Partition 1 ?

IN a1ive agFM, He had modified the source code of ventoy module, and it can be used in any filesystems. grubfm+ventoy should also work on ntfs / fat partitions. But ventoy's script in linux initrd may not work on non-exfat partitions.

It will be nice if FAT32, NTFS and exFAT will be supported by Ventoy for both Partition 1 and Partition 3 of USB Drive. In E2B+agFM USB Drive we use both Partition 1 and Partition 3 for ISOs. So at least add support for FAT32 file system for Partition 1.

When we will use Ventoy boot option in a1ive agFM, then we can browse ISO in any Filesystem of any Partition of USB Drive. Why you have limited Ventoy to only Partition 1 ? Is it possible to also have ISOs in Partition 3 and Partition 2 also ?

Regards..

1. FAT32 for 1st partition should be OK, you can test it, I missed it in the page. But FAT32 can't hold 4GB+ iso file 

2. ventoy's script in linux initrd use device-mapper, so the file system type doesn't matter. But the usb must have 2 partitons.

3. In current Ventoy version, the USB must have 2 partitions.

4. Ventoy 2.X series may match your requiments.  In 2.X, the iso files can be in any disk, and partition. You browse like in agFM, select iso and boot it.

Edited by ventoy, 20 May 2020 - 12:10 PM.

• alacran and devdevadev like this

#111 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:59 AM

Web page does not list FAT as supported???

https://www.ventoy.n...isk_layout.html

#112 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:05 PM

Web page does not list FAT as supported???

https://www.ventoy.n...isk_layout.html

Yes, I missed it. I will update the page later.

Edited by ventoy, 20 May 2020 - 12:05 PM.

#113 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:25 PM

or you could

1. Create E2B+agFM USB drive

2. Copy over ISO file to first NTFS partition

3. Make file contiguous

4. MBR or UEFI boot directly to Porteus-Kiosk ISO

Hi there steve6374 and thanks for the suggestion.

However, step 3 has always been a pain in the a*** to be quite honest. I could just as well use Grub4Dos or Grub2 to boot Porteus-Kiosk and Win10XPE because that's what I'm interested in. Installing Windows 10 from Win10XPE using WinNTSetup to my SSD's GPT partition is a walk in the park really. Moreover, I don't really need all the bells and whistles E2B comes with.

And yes, I've been talking about a preconfigured Porteus-Kiosk.iso not the original iso file with the settings wizard :)

#114 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

fair enough. But Porteus-Kiosk  ISO  does not seem to accept cheat codes - e.g. from=/Porteus-Kiosk.iso.

So partnew or Ventoy is needed to direct boot from the ISO AFAIK?

#115 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:56 PM

But Porteus-Kiosk  ISO  does not seem to accept cheat codes - e.g. from=/Porteus-Kiosk.iso.

So partnew or Ventoy is needed to direct boot from the ISO AFAIK?

Yes, you're right and that's basically how Porteus-Kiosk is made.

Have a look.

Edited by alz52879, 20 May 2020 - 02:56 PM.

#116 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:58 PM

1. FAT32 for 1st partition should be OK, you can test it, I missed it in the page. But FAT32 can't hold 4GB+ iso file 

2. ventoy's script in linux initrd use device-mapper, so the file system type doesn't matter. But the usb must have 2 partitons.

3. In current Ventoy version, the USB must have 2 partitions.

4. Ventoy 2.X series may match your requiments.  In 2.X, the iso files can be in any disk, and partition. You browse like in agFM, select iso and boot it.

Thanks, this is good info.

About In 2.X, the iso files can be in any disk, and partition. You browse like in agFM, select iso and boot it.  This will be very WELCOME.

alacran

• wimb and devdevadev like this

#117 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:35 PM

However, step 3 has always been a pain in the a*** to be quite honest. 

Has it really? :dubbio:

I mean, you run Wincontig and make it contiguous, and - besides the specific *need* - it is (IMHO) a "good" thing to have (large) files contiguous, and if you "keep" files contiguous on a stick, likely when you copy a new file on it it will be already contiguous.

:duff:

Wonko

#118 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:05 AM

Has it really? :dubbio:

I mean, you run Wincontig and make it contiguous, and - besides the specific *need* - it is (IMHO) a "good" thing to have (large) files contiguous, and if you "keep" files contiguous on a stick, likely when you copy a new file on it it will be already contiguous.

Wonko

Hi Wonko,

I'm quite aware of that, but for some reason, be it Wincontig  or  Contig, it is not always reliable as far as I can tell. I don't want to gamble that much, so Ventoy + wimb's suggestion suits me best for the time being :)

#119 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:56 AM

@alz52879

So it means that the Grub2 Menu is only shown when there is a valid entry in grub_Linux.cfg.

Grub2 menu is only shown when there's at least one *.iso file on the partition.

#120 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

Grub2 menu is only shown when there's at least one *.iso file on the partition.

Yes you are right and in your case initially there was no *.iso file on the Ventoy Drive  :)

Happy that the problem is solved now.

#121 themaesta22

themaesta22

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:07 PM

I really like ventoy. It boots into UEFI mode with no problems on my PC. 

On my notebook (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro) it gets recognized in the bios boot order menu, but in the actual "boot menu" I cant select the stick as a UEFI boot device as it does not show up. I could successfully boot it in legacy mode though.

What I miss the most would be a manually built menu. I don't like that it just displays the filename. And the Treeview Menu isn't really a good alternative if you want submenus.

On my old bootstick that was just a modified version of the "Ultimate Bootstick" I had .lst files where I could manually define my own menus. Of course there I also had to define the boot commands.

The stick was much more usable with clearly defined names and submenus:

XMVkip9.pngfi7ad8D.png

Would be a gamechanger if this was possible

#122 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:26 PM

When ventoy gets added to a1ive grub2 grubfm, you will be able to make your own startup menu and define your own sub-menus and have your own theme, etc. There is already a test build of grubfm+ventoy, but I hope to add it to the Easy2Boot agFM version soon.

A1ive grubfm allows  us to disable secure boot, use commands like dd and partnew and has many more grub2 enhancements.

• themaesta22 likes this

#123 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

However, step 3 has always been a pain in the a*** to be quite honest. ........

And yes, I've been talking about a preconfigured Porteus-Kiosk.iso not the original iso file with the settings wizard.

@ steve6375

Just for the sake of trying to go your way, the preconfigured Porteus-Kiosk.iso ist not booting using E2B+agFM partnew option. 

File not contiguous [ 2 Fragments]

Bear in mind that I had run MAKE_THIS_DRIVE_CONTIGUOUS.cmd prior to that.

JWosWP.png

#124 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:11 AM

Use Defraggler if WinContig does not work due to a fragmented USB drive.

Install Defraggler

Select ISO in Explorer - right-click - Defrag File.

#125 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

@ steve6375

Just for the sake of trying to go your way, the preconfigured Porteus-Kiosk.iso ist not booting using E2B+agFM partnew option. 

File not contiguous [ 2 Fragments]

Bear in mind that I had run MAKE_THIS_DRIVE_CONTIGUOUS.cmd prior to that.

JWosWP.png

Only for your interest, there is a "special" (but not so uncommon) case where you CANNOT have less than 2 fragments for a (large) file on a NTFS USB stick (unless you use "special" means of formatting the filesystem), just in case:

http://reboot.pro/to...disk-emulation/

Wonko

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users