#1 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Well, been fighting with basic Disk Images, grub4dos, syslinux/memdisk and been trying to boot directly or memory mapped Disk Image without success to install Windows NT 6.x.

So far:

1. grub4dos at USB

2. Windows 7 ISO extracted to 700MB VHD or RAW (without "install.wim") [WIN.VHD]

3. Bootsect /nt60 X: /force /mbr (where X: is mounted VHD 'or RAW')

4. So far tested drivers combinations (forcing them inside WinPE OR Integrating them with dism mount/regedit etc.):

-Diskmod + WinVblock

-Diskmod + Firadisk

-Waitbt + Diskmod + WinVblock

-Waitbt + Diskmod + Firadisk

- and WinVblock or Firadisk alone.

5. grub4dos commands:

map /WIN.VHD (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /bootmgr

boot

Also been trying: to boot the VHD with bootmgr > BCD and applying 'BOOT.WIM' to VHD/RAW and then copying files inside Windows 7 ISO without success. Even while this should be Natively supported without any drivers.

Also been trying: Different methods we used to use to boot Windows 7 installed to VHD load styles from reboot.pro with grub4dos and VHD style (Win7_VHD_Compact), but for some reason this doesn't work the same for Windows PE and can't figure out why.

Problem:

I can boot the Windows Setup from VHD, but for some reason I cannot by any mean see the actual content of VHD while at Windows PE environment which makes my idea of movable/linkable windows root impossible unless actually standaing at NTFS at USB media which again makes multible media impossible as it seems I cannot boot logical partitions as Windows installation media (Windows Setup just gets stuck).

Any suggestions?

(Sorry for typos again is some.)

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

5. grub4dos commands:
map /WIN.VHD (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr
boot

You'll have *somehow* to pass a "hook" to Winvblock, like:
http://reboot.pro/to...block/?p=101891
http://reboot.pro/to...block/?p=119816
http://reboot.pro/to...ot-os-from-vhd/

:duff:
Wonko

#3 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, I think I am forgetting something, but I did also try the:

map /WIN.VHD (hd0)
map --rd-size=2048
map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)
map --hook
write (0x55) #!GRUB4DOSx00v=1x00WIN.VHDx00x80x00
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr
boot

With WinVBlock integrated inside "boot.wim" drivers not sure of the service start entry. I have it now at my "boot.wim" as Start="0". Anyway, I am missing something here. Also tested clean VHD at VirtualBox and VMWare it works and shows in there just fine of course it's totally different environment, but if it works there it just has to be possible to be shown while memory mapped from syslinux or direct mapped/memory mapped from grub4dos.

-edit-

Also now did try a bit another style:

title WIN VHD Boot
map /WIN.VHD (0x80)
map --rd-size=2048
map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)
map --hook
write (0x55) #!GRUB4DOSx00v=1x00WIN.VHDx00x80x00
root (0x80,0x0)
chainloader /bootmgr
boot

integrating the diskmod + WinVblock, but just cannot see inside the VHD.

Wonder, if I am using bad WinVBlock(DriverVer=05/16/2010,0.0.0.8) or Grub4Dos(0.4.4) version or something.

-edit 2-

Another idea would be to be able to boot boomgr / BCD -> Logical Partition Installation Media, but for some reason the Logical Partition media hangs up (loading it with syslinux chain.c32 or grub4dos). Tested this even with SSD and Windows 7-8.1 media all seems to fail to locate something assuming it to be everything else from media on primary partition except boot.wim/Install.wim.

Weird part of this is that you can basically install any windows with bootmgr+BCD at primary partition with actual windows installation at logical partition, but for some reason I just cannot create boot.wim / Install.wim at logical partition.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Wonder, if I am using bad WinVBlock(DriverVer=05/16/2010,0.0.0.8) or Grub4Dos(0.4.4) version or something.

They are BOTH seriously outdated versions, particularly (see the dates of the posts I linked you to above, the "mechanism" for passing the image name was discussed in June 2010). :frusty:

Get latest ones of both, if I recall correctly Steve6375 has a recent enough version of Winvblock here:

http://www.rmprepusb...b-beta-versions

For grub4dos anything before 0.4.5c 2013-03-03 is to be considered obsolete and right now the best choice is getting a more recent one, ort even the latest of the 0.4.5c series:

http://reboot.pro/to...b4dos/?p=186085

:duff:

Wonko

#5 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, found the issue. I did start testing G4D v0.4.5c/0.4.6a and updated WinVBlock well some what, but then found old error first at FAT32 space mounting .VHD (as said I knew I've forgot something as FAT32 will simply not do it seems to hang actually clean up) while I was looking to directly mounting the VHD on my Windows 8.1 started getting errors.

Currently trying FAT32->NTFS(bootmgr and G4D 0.4.5c>bootmgr) I am pretty sure this will start working now.

-edit-

Still not working, but got the actual media working by grub4dos 0.4.5c mapping and then inside WIM 'SetupComplete.cmd' script for diskpart fpr vdisk attach to specific partition. (Using Windows 7 media not Windows 8.1).

Also, seems Windows 8.1 "Update 1" using this installer for Windows 8 installation through NT6.3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users