38 replies to this topic

#26 relynx

relynx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:15 PM

...  as well as with GRUB2 (though IMHO with some added complexity) once you are in the bootmanager you can chainload *everything* or *nearly everything*, whilst ...

Clover supports GRUB2 out-of-the-box.
So it does also kind of semi support its sibling grubfm by a1ive.
You just have to rename grubfmx64.efi to grubx64.efi and copy it to [FOLDER_3] like

EFI/GrubfmFaked/grubx64.efi

and move [FOLDER_3] to "USB_ESP"/ like folder 1 and 2 previously.

#27 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:55 PM

@ relynx

With all due respect I kindly suggest you to open your own Topic to talk about all details of your procedure, and there answer questions related to it. And please stop hijacking this topic.

Hijacking a Topic, unnecessarily disturbes and create confusion to other readers.

You can be sure I will read your Topic, as I can boot from my grub4dos menu.lst or from Ventoy directly to my full installed Linux Mint or Linux Lite (both Ubuntu derivated) VHDs located into a HD partition, to try your procedure and I will let you know there if I have any questions.

Best regards

Your friend

alacran

#28 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:22 AM

@ Wonko

My very appreciated friend, I'm terrible sorry for hurting your feelings. :D

It seems to me that lately you are becoming very sensitive  (maybe it is caused by age).  :buehehe: 

If I understood fine one of your previous comments, your proposed approach includes the use of grub4dos, so far in my experiments only successful result not using an auxiliary USB device to boot, was when booting AIO_BOOT directly from grub2 MBR disk first active primary FAT-32 partition the CloverLegacy into it.

I haven't tested so far booting from grub4dos MBR disk and chainloading to AIO_BOOT grub2 located on first active primary FAT-32 partition, but it is very easy to test that, all I have to do is change the MBR, edit the menu.lst and reboot.

alacran

#29 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:32 AM

@alacran: Being sensitive definitely isnt caused by age. I should know, i'm one of those types. people have to be very careful what they say or do around me, because how i'll react in any given moment is unpredictable.

To my knowledge, Wonko has never revealed his age. His real name is known, a public records search wouldnt be very hard. my guess is high 50s to low 60s. That he is a grouch only makes him seem older.

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:41 AM

@alacran

Well, I am - admittedly - an old, grumpy, bastard :w00t: :ph34r: since many, many years, I don't think I became any more sensitive lately, most probably it is just a matter of a different level of ability to cope with rudeness, or, if you prefer, what till a few years ago I simply ignored, now I prefer to talk about openly.

I would say that with age I increased my directness/straightforwardness.

@anonvendetta

Good guess.   :thumbsup:

@relynx

Good to know. :)

:duff:

Wonko

#31 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:11 AM

come on, u ppl are those who have made the smallness of linux appear like "just a myth", at least for most of us, and nobody can take that away.

#32 relynx

relynx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

Hijacking a Topic, unnecessarily disturbes and create confusion to other readers.

Pardon me, but the topic title reads "Testing UEFI booting on a only Bios PC".
Please kindly depicts which of my posts deviates from the said topic?

Anyhow, it is your thread, and I'll respect your rules, if you rather prefer holding a monologue.
But to abide from future disturbances may I suggest you to choose the topic title accordingly
or at least put a disclaimer in the first post something like
        "... subjects ONLY to Windows grub4dos AIO_Boot ..."
?

mille viae ducunt homines per saecula Romam

#33 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:43 AM

@relynx

No issues whatever, everything you posted is AFAICT, appropriate, interesting :worship: and on-topic, or at least as on topic as my own posts/comments..

alacran evidently is in a bad period/bad mood (or - alternatively - you and me are both into one such state of mind :dubbio:, I love coincidences ;)).

Anyway, last time I checked and AFAIK, he is not an Administrator or Moderator of the board, so his comments and suggestions on what you should do are only personal opinions.

:duff:

Wonko

#34 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:13 AM

DUET 32 or 64-bit can be used instead of CLOVER. Here is a video of how I run WinXP 32-bit under UEFI DUET 32-bit (IA32) on old PC x86 Thin Client Igel 4210 (VIA C7 CPU, AWARD 6.00PG BIOS):

https://www.betaarch...=449809#p449809

1590044057.or.49262.png

#35 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:16 PM

@reboot12: The DUET bootloader looks like your screenshot, but without the IBM logo. How did you get it in there?

#36 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:37 AM

@reboot12: The DUET bootloader looks like your screenshot, but without the IBM logo. How did you get it in there?

You have to compile the DUET from the sources by inserting your logo: Custom logo on UEFI boot screen

Here is my DUET IA32 with IBM logo: FAT32_IA32.zip

Compilation instruction

#37 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:45 AM

@reboot12: I used (years ago, with Windows 7) the x64 DUET linked to here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/bios2uefi/

That DUET file is no longer available, and it doesnt work right on my current PC anyway. It worked great on the laptop I had then, though. I still have the archive for it laying around somewhere.

No idea where to find the source code, or if it's still available. Probably on GitHub or GitLab.

Edit: When I say that it doesnt work now, i mean that it doesnt see my NVMe SSDs. Or even my SATA SSDs, sometimes. I can usually get it to boot, but not always. I'm tempted to try Clover again, it seems to be superior, and more compatible with recent hardware.

Edit 2: i just tried booting it from a flash drive. it fails to boot multiple times, never a success. Maybe it's because i have 64gb RAM? i know it worked when i had 16gb, before i upgraded.

#38 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:12 AM

@reboot12: I used (years ago, with Windows 7) the x64 DUET linked to here:

You have compiled different DUET x64 versions in this topic: UEFI DUET Installer - REFIND boot manager
Or try make USB flash drive from this: Tianocore Uefi Duet Installer
or download from this: link in the description

P.S. Win7 64-bit can be run under UEFI class 3 without CSM using the UefiSeven loader - this even works with WinXP 64-bit (amd64):

UefiSeven: Easily boot Windows 7 on UEFI class 3 devices

WinXP 64-bit test UefiSeven in pure UEFI and UEFI+CSM

Boot WinXP SP2 64-bit from UEFI class 3

• Tokener likes this

#39 Gerolf

Gerolf

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:23 PM

I kindly suggest you to open your own Topic to talk about all details of your procedure, and there answer questions related to it. And please stop hijacking this topic.

You can be sure I will read your Topic

Note for self:

avoid posting (polite) suggestions on alacran's threads, as they will be likely ignored, whilst the rest (comments and opinions provided for context) will be nit-picked to death.

Technically, the solution to avoid such grievances is to write an abstract in one single post of any thread and to clean it up over the time, like Alacran has started anew in post no. 355 of the "Grub4EFI" thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uefi, bios, aio_boot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users