31 replies to this topic

#1 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Every time I build my Win7PESE disc, I am able to get into my menu that I created using GFX Boot. But after sleecting the option to boot WIN7PESE, I keep getting an error after it's gotten past the "Windows is loading files" screen, telling me that the file "ipf63x63.sys" is missing or corrupt, with an error code 0xc0000098. I ran circles around this program for hours throwing that said file into the boot.wim file, adding it to the ISO and reburning it, adding it to the directory where my boot.wim file is constructed for WinBuilder, changing directories, editing the WAIK, updating drivers, and switching which drivers it loads with.
Is there something I am missing or am I beating the wrong bush with the wrong stick (using the wrong logic with the wrong file in a sense :P)?

Edited by QuentinX5, 22 June 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Every time I build my Win7PESE disc, I am able to get into my menu that I created using GFX Boot. But after sleecting the option to boot WIN7PESE, I keep getting an error after it's gotten past the "Windows is loading files" screen, telling me that the file "ipf63x63.sys" is missing or corrupt, with an error code 0xc0000098. I ran circles around this program for hours throwing that said file into the boot.wim file, adding it to the ISO and reburning it, adding it to the directory where my boot.wim file is constructed for WinBuilder, changing directories, editing the WAIK, updating drivers, and switching which drivers it loads with.
Is there something I am missing or am I beating the wrong bush with the wrong stick (using the wrong logic with the wrong file in a sense :P)?

WHAT actually is that "ipf63x63.sys" driver for? :unsure:

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

WHAT actually is that "ipf63x63.sys" driver for? :unsure:

Wonko

I looked it up and it's an Intel Windows* FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet) Driver, Windows Server 2012.
Which makes no sense to me because Win7PE isn't even a Windows Server... It's built off of Windows 7. I even looked into that driver on my PC and can't find it, so I have no clue as to why my computer would need it. O.O

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

I looked it up and it's an Intel Windows* FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet) Driver, Windows Server 2012.
Which makes no sense to me because Win7PE isn't even a Windows Server... It's built off of Windows 7. I even looked into that driver on my PC and can't find it, so I have no clue as to why my computer would need it. O.O

Yes, never "heard" of it before, it's not one of the "usual" files.

Maybe is a "quirk" with the driver packs (if you used them).

Otherwise the only possible reason is some other form of "corruption" of the source. :dubbio: or - worse - some strange issue with hardware, maybe some device provides a "wrong" PCI Ven/Pid or the like that triggers that particular driver install.

Check the .inf and compare it with the output of devcon run on your "main" OS on that hardware. :unsure:

Wonko

#5 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yes, never "heard" of it before, it's not one of the "usual" files.

Maybe is a "quirk" with the driver packs (if you used them).

Otherwise the only possible reason is some other form of "corruption" of the source. :dubbio: or - worse - some strange issue with hardware, maybe some device provides a "wrong" PCI Ven/Pid or the like that triggers that particular driver install.

Check the .inf and compare it with the output of devcon run on your "main" OS on that hardware. :unsure:

Wonko

I went and tested it on my other computer at my house. Same error message, so it can't be anything to do with the computer. Has to be how the drivers and all are loading. I can't find anything in the .inf file...
These are it's contents:

[autorun]
LABEL=WinPESE
ACTION=Menu WinPESE
OPEN=Programs\PStart.exe
ICON=PortableApps\PortableApps.com\App\Graphics\usb.ico
Shell=PStart
Shell\PStart=Menu WinPESE
Shell\PStart\command=Programs\PStart.exe

I'll try chopping the LAN and WLAN driver packs and see if that makes a difference. The only issue is not having any way of connecting to the internet without those drivers. :P
There's also an option under the driver integration script that says "Load drivers at startup." Would this possibly make a difference as to howt he drivers are loaded?
I also looked under the LAN_x64.txt file to see if there was anything about the file, and there is not a single driver for Windows 7 regarding the driver that it says is missing... O.O
Do you think that WinBuilder is instead of building a Windows 7 Ultimate CD that it's making a Windows Server disc?

Edited by QuentinX5, 22 June 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#6 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Alright. I am now stumped.
Disabled the drivers, and still getting that error... -.-

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

It's really "strange". :dubbio: 

Until someone comes with a "proper" solution/better idea, you could do three other tests:

1. change the source (but use the same Winbuilder project)
  2. change the Winbuilder project (but use the same source)
  3. change both the source and the Winbuilder project

Try one of the "small" projects by al_jo, example:
http://reboot.pro/to...e-nvda-project/
and the source he recommends.

Wonko

#8 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

It's really "strange". :dubbio:

Until someone comes with a "proper" solution/better idea, you could do three other tests:

1. change the source (but use the same Winbuilder project)
  2. change the Winbuilder project (but use the same source)
  3. change both the source and the Winbuilder project

Try one of the "small" projects by al_jo, example:
http://reboot.pro/to...e-nvda-project/
and the source he recommends.

Wonko

I just had a thought... Do you think the issue might be that I am using a 64-bit source?
The source he has there is a 32-bit, but I believe the source file has to be the same as the system that is being used, right?
Like if my actual OS has a 64-bit, using a Portable 64-bit would be the right source to use.

Also downloading a new source from Digitalriver (official download site from the Microsoft Store) because it might of been the disc that I used.

Edited by QuentinX5, 24 June 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Here there are diverging opinions.

Personally I believe that:

• on a few, selected, dedicated to "particular" chores, machines a 64 bit Operating System makes a lot of sense.
  • on all the other ones the only reason to run one is to use the extra memory (though that is actually due to licensing restrictions and not really to bitwidth)
  • a 64 bit PE makes NO sense whatsoever, if not for a very, very few particular and uncommon cases (of which BTW noone has yet managed to produce a valid example)

There is a thread about this:

http://reboot.pro/to...e-40-usb-drive/

starting from here:

http://reboot.pro/to...drive/?p=151030

Generally speaking, a 64 bit OS is bigger (and thus slower at loading, particularly if in the form of a PE booted from external device) and offers no particular advantage over a 32 bit PE (if the use is that of a PE, possibly if you boot a PE to run MATLAB or similar with zillion dimensions arrays, then a 64 bit PE might be a better choice, but consulting a good psychiatrist would be an even better one ;)).

http://reboot.pro/to...32-bit-version/

This said, there was a misunderstanding, I meant the driver's .inf file and checking the PCI VEN/DEV listed in it against the list of PCI ID's that devcon.exe returns on the "main" OS.

Wonko

#10 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Here there are diverging opinions.

Personally I believe that:

• on a few, selected, dedicated to "particular" chores, machines a 64 bit Operating System makes a lot of sense.
  • on all the other ones the only reason to run one is to use the extra memory (though that is actually due to licensing restrictions and not really to bitwidth)
  • a 64 bit PE makes NO sense whatsoever, if not for a very, very few particular and uncommon cases (of which BTW noone has yet managed to produce a valid example)

There is a thread about this:

http://reboot.pro/to...e-40-usb-drive/

starting from here:

http://reboot.pro/to...drive/?p=151030

Generally speaking, a 64 bit OS is bigger (and thus slower at loading, particularly if in the form of a PE booted from external device) and offers no particular advantage over a 32 bit PE (if the use is that of a PE, possibly if you boot a PE to run MATLAB or similar with zillion dimensions arrays, then a 64 bit PE might be a better choice, but consulting a good psychiatrist would be an even better one ;)).

http://reboot.pro/to...32-bit-version/

This said, there was a misunderstanding, I meant the driver's .inf file and checking the PCI VEN/DEV listed in it against the list of PCI ID's that devcon.exe returns on the "main" OS.

Wonko

Right, I went to check the driver's .inf files and the only drivers that even showed up for ifp63x64.sys were in Server and Win8, which since this Win7PE would be running Windows 7, those drivers would be completely irrelevant, right?

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Right, I went to check the driver's .inf files and the only drivers that even showed up for ifp63x64.sys were in Server and Win8, which since this Win7PE would be running Windows 7, those drivers would be completely irrelevant, right?

Well then how come they were included in the source (or in the build)?

BTW a driver may well be present in the source (or in the build, or in both) but it should be loaded ONLY if explicitly "forced" to load or if the plug'n play device manager (or whatever) decides that it is needed.

Wonko

#12 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Well then how come they were included in the source (or in the build)?

BTW a driver may well be present in the source (or in the build, or in both) but it should be loaded ONLY if explicitly "forced" to load or if the plug'n play device manager (or whatever) decides that it is needed.

Wonko

So theorhetically... I could delete those folders with all the Windows Server, Windows 8, etc and just leave the All and Windows 7 drivers folders there?

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

So theorhetically... I could delete those folders with all the Windows Server, Windows 8, etc and just leave the All and Windows 7 drivers folders there?

You can do that also "practically" ;), but not necessarily it will bring you any benefit, the issue you are having is more *something* attempting to load *something else* (which possibly is not found), by making sure that the *something else* doen't exist wouldn't prevent the *something* to create the issue (that one or another one, going maybe from corrupted file to missing file).

You have seemingly made not an inch of progress :(.

Again, WHAT source are you using?

A "normal" source has not "folders with  all the Windows Server, Windows 8, etc" AFAIK.

Have you tried the small al_jo's project following EXACTLY the instructions and using the specific source advised?

The "generic" idea is that when someone comes here asking for help, he/she then tries to follow the advice given and reports what happens.

If you do not understand some of the suggestions or questions asked, feel free to ask more details about those :), but do what i suggested and not anything else (there are usually reasons why the suggestions are made and the questions asked), see:

http://reboot.pro/to...ead-this-first/

Wonko

#14 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

You can do that also "practically" ;), but not necessarily it will bring you any benefit, the issue you are having is more *something* attempting to load *something else* (which possibly is not found), by making sure that the *something else* doen't exist wouldn't prevent the *something* to create the issue (that one or another one, going maybe from corrupted file to missing file).

You have seemingly made not an inch of progress :(.

Again, WHAT source are you using?

A "normal" source has not "folders with  all the Windows Server, Windows 8, etc" AFAIK.

Have you tried the small al_jo's project following EXACTLY the instructions and using the specific source advised?

The "generic" idea is that when someone comes here asking for help, he/she then tries to follow the advice given and reports what happens.

If you do not understand some of the suggestions or questions asked, feel free to ask more details about those :), but do what i suggested and not anything else (there are usually reasons why the suggestions are made and the questions asked), see:

http://reboot.pro/to...ead-this-first/

Wonko

Sorry, I didn't see the part about his small project...
Downloading and using the source he has.

As for the source, I was using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, from http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59465.iso
Should I be using a different source?

Edited by QuentinX5, 25 June 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

As for the source, I was using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, from http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59465.iso
Should I be using a different source?

Yes, the one that al_jo recommends (and NOT any other one).

We are experimenting, and maybe this way - by exclusion - we can find the issue...

Wonko

#16 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

Yes, the one that al_jo recommends (and NOT any other one).

We are experimenting, and maybe this way - by exclusion - we can find the issue...

Wonko

Alright, so I switched sources and now have started getting this:
Error_zpsf69a8b95.png?t=1372208087

I hopped around all three of my sources (I went and also got Ultimate x86 SP1 just to see if I might continue to get that issue) and they are all three now giving me this same error message every time I try to open Win7PESE. I get to the GFX-Boot meny just fine, and everything else can load just fine. It's just that one option.

I'm looking in the source folders in the ISO and I am now noticing that there is no boot.wim or install.wim files... O.O
Rebuilding the boot disc, and going to see if the boot.wim file is in there this time. If it's not, just going to copy and paste and see where this gets us.

Fixed that little snag and booted it up, and am now running into more issues with missing and corrupt files...
Error2_zpse3c8e2c8.png

Edited by QuentinX5, 26 June 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#17 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Alright, so I switched sources and now have started getting this:
Error_zpsf69a8b95.png?t=1372208087

I hopped around all three of my sources (I went and also got Ultimate x86 SP1 just to see if I might continue to get that issue) and they are all three now giving me this same error message every time I try to open Win7PESE. I get to the GFX-Boot meny just fine, and everything else can load just fine. It's just that one option.

I'm looking in the source folders in the ISO and I am now noticing that there is no boot.wim or install.wim files... O.O
Rebuilding the boot disc, and going to see if the boot.wim file is in there this time. If it's not, just going to copy and paste and see where this gets us.

Fixed that little snag and booted it up, and am now running into more issues with missing and corrupt files...
Error2_zpse3c8e2c8.png

I have continued to see the top one more and more after I keep building, with no source file being attached to any of my ISO's, which I think has to partially do with this:
PostConfigError_zps5ad21420.png

Mind giving me some pointing in the right direction?

#18 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

Why are you using

http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59465.iso

instead of

http://msft-dnl.digi...4/X15-65804.iso

recommended here?

#19 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Why are you using

http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59465.iso

instead of

recommended here?

Isn't there added benfits or something by using Utlimate over Professional? Or am I just mistaken as to how WinBuilder would gather the source?
And I did download that, and still was coming up with the same build issues (shown by the picture of the EtronHub file).

#20 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

Isn't there added benfits or something by using Utlimate over Professional? Or am I just mistaken as to how WinBuilder would gather the source?
And I did download that, and still was coming up with the same build issues (shown by the picture of the EtronHub file).

Just do a new fresh build using this project:

http://al-jo.net46.net/7pe_small.zip

with this source:

and it’s almost impossible to fail!

#21 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Just do a new fresh build using this project:

http://al-jo.net46.net/7pe_small.zip

with this source:

and it’s almost impossible to fail!

Turns out the impossible just became possible. XD
LostImageX_zps95ec6d8e.png

Already went through and checked out the imagex as well. It's there under tools, and I even tried renaming it as to make it so it would fild the file imagex.exe instead of imagex6.0.exe. Still no luck.

#22 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

Turns out the impossible just became possible. XD
LostImageX_zps95ec6d8e.png

Already went through and checked out the imagex as well. It's there under tools, and I even tried renaming it as to make it so it would fild the file imagex.exe instead of imagex6.0.exe. Still no luck.

The project I linked to has 51 scripts, yours have 82. How come?

And please, post a html log (zipped) of your build if any problems!

#23 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

The project I linked to has 51 scripts, yours have 82. How come?

And please, post a html log (zipped) of your build if any problems!

I think I grabbed a version of yours that I saw somewhere and assumed they were the same one. Running through the build on that other one right now, but one thing I noticed was that when it said it was grabbing the sources and all for the build, it said that it had grabbed a source for Windows 7 Ultimate... Does that sound right to you?
Also, here is the log for that error and all: http://www.rtrit.com/log.html

I also just read about you asking for a zip file of it, so here it is: http://www.rtrit.com/log.zip

Edited by QuentinX5, 26 June 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#24 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

I think I grabbed a version of yours that I saw somewhere and assumed they were the same one. Running through the build on that other one right now, but one thing I noticed was that when it said it was grabbing the sources and all for the build, it said that it had grabbed a source for Windows 7 Ultimate... Does that sound right to you?
Also, here is the log for that error and all: http://www.rtrit.com/log.html

Yes!

#25 QuentinX5

QuentinX5

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

Yes!

Alright. Ran into an error while building it. Here's the log: http://www.rtrit.com/LiteLog.zip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users