• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ekis

ekis
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hello everybody,

I'm very new in the hardware world, even more in the DOS one, so please apologize if my question looks stupid...

I have bought a new (second hand, though) motherboard to change the one I had.
It looks to me I have to flash the motherboard (no BIOS starting when turning the computer on: the screen stays black; no bip).

I have understood I have to boot on a bootable floppy disk, which will allow me to flash the board under DOS.

My only concern is the following:
will my motherboard understand it has to check the A: drive?
In other words, since my screen stays black, how can I force the computer to look at the floppy disk?

I'm not even sure my question is understandable...

Anyway, thanks for your help!!

++

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

The question is clear. :lol:

The answer may not. :thumbup:

From what you write there is a problem.

A motherboard "should" show something when booting, if it does not, it could mean that somehow the BIOS was corrupted, and in this case, it should beep.

If it does not show anything AND does not beep it's NO good sign, and it is probable that it cannot even be flashed.

For the record, UNLIKE what often appears on most sites, flashing a BIOS is NOT a "routine" maintenance, a BIOS should NEVER be flashed UNLESS if needed to resolve a specific problem or because of confirmed previous one corruption, in other words it's a last resort, not the first thing to try.

Can you post EXACT brand/model of BOTH your old and new motherboards?

Have you already got the manuals for BOTH motherboards?

Have you already double and triple checked ALL connections?

Try again removing completely ALL cards, including video one (if not integrated), ALL RAM sticks and ALL connections, including mouse and keyboard, leave just the connection to the power supply.

Does it beep?

Try again adding ONLY the video card (if not integrated).

Does it beep?

Does the scrren show anything?

jaclaz

#3 ekis

ekis
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hi Jaclaz,

thanks for your answer, and apologize for the elays, I have some troubles with my internet connection...

Well, the answer sounds clear but not reassuring :thumbup:
To be honest, I hoped not to be given such an answer :thumbup:

no good sign: nothing is shown, and no beep sounds...

I did undersand that playing with BIOS is far from an easy task, and I was not very happy to think I had to...

To answer your questions:
My previous motherboard was a Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18
The new one is an Asrok K7VT4A Pro.

Yes, I have the manuals of both motherboards.

Connections have been double-checked (not tripled: I'll do this tomorrow with a friend of mine, who'll do it better than I :lol: )

After unplugging everything, or only with the (non integrated video card): no beep, and black screen, unfortunately...

Think I'd better go back to the guy who sold me this...

Still, great thanks for your help!!

++

#4 kcom

kcom

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

I do strongly not recommend to mess with BIOS flashing - if not really needed.

I also strongly recommend not to experiment with USB booting to start a BIOS update tool which is made to run from a floppy. If it`s officially supported to boot from USB then it`s ok. Otherwise you don`t know if an error could occur and your hardware could get damaged.

You really need to flash your BIOS? Ok, then follow strictly the way them want you to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users