175 replies to this topic

#151 requiem

requiem
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

I am not able to open a shell. After the "Windows is loading files..." screen, a shell appears with "X:\windows\system32\wpeinit", then after a while, a pop-up shows with the message " There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR2." with three options, Cancel, Try Again and Continue, all of them end up in the same message in a shell, "Error - Could not find Install.wim in W732 folder!".
The usb drive has three partitions, 1st FAT32, 2nd NTFS (with boot flag) and 3rd FAT32.
If I put the files in the first partition runs good, the problem comes when the files are not in the first one...

EDIT:
" If USB stick- Windows will not see any other partitions, but the first one, so you are restricted to it anyway." is what they say in here
http://www.msfn.org/...omusb-with-gui/...
So I guess it is not possible...

Edited by requiem, 30 December 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#152 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

The message you describe does not sound like a standard MS install DVD? Are you using an OEM install/Recovery DVD by any chance?

#153 requiem

requiem
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

Yes, I am. But as I said, works flawless if I put them in the first partition. And anyhow is not finding the install.wim, so the problem must be in the boot.wim or in the bcd, right?

#154 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

Are you using the multiwim install method as described in my tutorial based on the discussions in this thread, or the multiwim install method based on far.in.out's method, or perhaps a completely different method of preparation?
If the method from my tutorial then you should be able to press SHIFT+F10 when you get the ERROR - COULD NOT FIND INSTALL.WIM in xxx folder! message.

So can you give us a clue as to what version of Windows you are trying to use and how you prepared the USB stick? Presumably you are using Win 7 32-bit (guessing from the error message?) so you should have a \W732\install.wim file present on your second partition?

#155 requiem

requiem
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

I used your method, the one in here My linkhttp://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb... that I think is yours...
The version I am using of windows is an "All in one" version, that has both, x32 and x64.
Yes I have the file install.wim in \W732\

#156 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

I used your method, the one in here My linkhttp://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb... that I think is yours...
The version I am using of windows is an "All in one" version, that has both, x32 and x64.
Yes I have the file install.wim in \W732\

how big is the wim file? Maybe there is a problem accessing a partition, hence the retry message?

#157 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

So I guess it is not possible...

No, it is possible (if this is the problem, and it does look like it is :().

As said you need to install a filter driver that will make the device seen as "Fixed" (as opposed to "Removable").

BOTH cfadisk.sys and dummydisk.sys have been reported as working on Windows 7:
http://www.msfn.org/...os/page__st__49

What I am not familiar with (and what I cannot help you with) is the actual method/way to add the drivers inside the boot.wim as I don't normally use Windows 7, BUT here is a rather detailed report method:
http://www.msfn.org/...artition-grub2/
that you should be able to follow succesfully. :frusty: (detailed for dummydisk.sys)

:ph34r:
Wonko

#158 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

No, it is possible (if this is the problem, and it does look like it is :().

As said you need to install a filter driver that will make the device seen as "Fixed" (as opposed to "Removable").

BOTH cfadisk.sys and dummydisk.sys have been reported as working on Windows 7:
http://www.msfn.org/...os/page__st__49

What I am not familiar with (and what I cannot help you with) is the actual method/way to add the drivers inside the boot.wim as I don't normally use Windows 7, BUT here is a rather detailed report method:
http://www.msfn.org/...artition-grub2/
that you should be able to follow succesfully. :frusty: (detailed for dummydisk.sys)

:ph34r:
Wonko

Just tried WinPE v2 and it does not mount any volume other than the first one on a multiple partitioned USB removable flash drive.

#159 requiem

requiem
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Just making the 3rd step of this method http://www.msfn.org/board/t at the end of your method, and now its working. First partition FAT32 empty, second one NTFS with all the files. :(

Edited by requiem, 30 December 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#160 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Just making the 3rd step of this method http://www.msfn.org/board/t at the end of your method, and now its working. First partition FAT32 empty, second one NTFS with all the files. :ph34r:

I presume I can put you among the "happy bunnies" :(:
http://www.msfn.org/...up/page__st__10

Let's wait for steve6375 to join you .:frusty:

:(
Wonko

#161 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

I won't try it as it has been tried by many before me, but happily accept the great WtS verdict :whistling:

#162 requiem

requiem
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

By the way, the exactly way how I do it, is first I make the folder C:\MYUSB, as you put in your method, then I use gparted to make all the partitions in the USB drive, and put the "boot" flag in the partition that I'll put the files, then is just coping all the files of MYUSB to that partition...and then happy bunnies to everyone! :whistling:

#163 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

.... then I use gparted to make all the partitions in the USB drive, and put the "boot" flag in the partition that I'll put the files, then is ....

But you can also install the filter driver in your "main" OS and use "normal" Disk Manager to do the partitioning and set the active partition.
(I mean no need to reboot to gparted or anything else).
Though the board was IMHO VERY improperly named "reboot.pro", real professionals tend to avoid ANY unneeded reboot. :whistling:
Or you can "go virtual" and work on an (empty) image of your stick, and once finished image it to the stick.
Any tester for VSS services on Windows 7?
http://reboot.pro/6492/
Or maybe using a VHD (I seem that 7 has "native" VHD mounting support ;)) and then image through clonedisk?
http://reboot.pro/

:cheers:
Wonko

#164 requiem

requiem
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

reboot to gparted?
I always have a main system with a win virtual machine and another one in debian, so no need to reboot for me :whistling:

Edited by requiem, 31 December 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#165 DirtyToad

DirtyToad
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hello Friend I have a question the method explained here
http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/tutorials/how-to-create-a-usb-drive-that-will-install-vista-win7-and-server-2008
is working fne for me...
now I want to know that
I have combined WIN7 x86-64 Install.wim
and combined WIN2k8 x86-64 Install.wim
and combined VISTA x86-64 Install.wim

(I have also combined my win2k8R2 and win7 both x86 and x64 in one install.wim please also provide the solution to workout with that)
is there any step by step tutorial to make everything from scratch like making my own menu.lst and every other config file like ModBootWim and ChangeBCD I have tried to change them according to my requirement ut I am getting confused ...Please guied me..

now how can I make a bootable USB out of it with the following option
1. win PE
2. Win Vista 32/64
3. Win7 32/64
4. Win2k8 32/64
5. reboot
6. swith off

#166 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

Each install.wim contains a number of SKUs of each OS. The Setup files know which one is which. If you combine the images all into one WIM then the Setup files won't know which image is which. Also I don't think you can install a 64 bit OS using 32bit setup files (not sure?).

If you want to combine all images, then throw away the setup files, etc. and just script the install using a cmd menu or vbs or hta script (or AutoIt) from WinPE (x86 as Atom CPUs don't support x64 WInPE).

i.e.
Prepare a multiwim file
Boot to WinPE x86
User selects which image he wants
Run a scripted diskpart to make new partitions
Use Imagex to Apply correct image to new partition
reboot

#167 Haythem Houissa

Haythem Houissa
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Tunisia

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hi!
I have HD with 2 partitions: C and D and a usb with windows server 2003 and vista. the installation of each of them works fine. I ve installed vista on C. all good. The problem is that when I installed server 2003 on D:, i can no more boot to vista! the boot sees only the last installed OS (2003).
I really need to use both of them ...
Please help me fix this issue ... :(

#168 far.in.out

far.in.out

• Expert
  • 53 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Download a freeware from NeoSmart Tech. called EasyBCD, there, on a page called "BCD Backup/Repair" you need to check the "Recreate/Repair boot files" and press the "Peform action" button. That's all!

#169 haythem1

haythem1
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Tunisia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Download a freeware from NeoSmart Tech. called EasyBCD, there, on a page called "BCD Backup/Repair" you need to check the "Recreate/Repair boot files" and press the "Peform action" button. That's all!

Grand merci Newbie :) that software did the fix, now it is working. I installed it in the last installed (bootable) OS and launched. All Ok. Get my Vista and 2003

#170 KamrulCox

KamrulCox
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Bangladesh

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

This patch is incorrect. You need to patch address E28 with the bytes EB 03.

If using debug then the instructions are (to make it use \boot\bc1 instead of \boot\bcd) - what you type is in bold

D:\>copy bootmgr bootmg1
1 file(s) copied.

D:\>debug bootmg1
-r
AX=0000 BX=0006 CX=B238 DX=0000 SP=E625 BP=0100 SI=0000 DI=0000
DS=18CA ES=18CA SS=18CA CS=18CA IP=0100 NV UP EI PL NZ NA PO NC
18CA:0100 E9D501 JMP 02D8
-e f28
18CA:0F28 74.eb<space> 03.03 <space> E9. <enter>
-e 68ca:4c6c (note add 5000 to address in italics)
68CA:4C68 42.31 00. <enter>
-w
Writing 6B238 bytes
-q

You now have bootmg1 which will use \boot\bc1 instead of \boot\bcd

change 31 to 32 for bc2, or 33 for bc3, etc.

To make a new BCD file run this script

copy \boot\bcd \boot\bc1
bcdedit /store \boot\bc1 /set {bootmgr} nointegritychecks YES
bcdedit /store \boot\bc1 /create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk options"
bcdedit /store \boot\bc1 /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice boot
bcdedit /store \boot\bc1 /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \Boot\boot.sdi
bcdedit /store \boot\bc1 /set {default} device ramdisk=[boot]\sources\boot1.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
bcdedit /store \boot\bc1 /set {default} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sources\boot1.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

@jaclaz

I am trying to patch bootmgr using grub4dos write command.
If I do

chainloader /bootmgr

and then read 0x7c00 I do NOT get the first 4 bytes of bootmgr. I want to patch the bootmgr as above but I can't seem to find the correct locations in memory once chainloaded???

I need the tricks very much. Would you please suggest me what to change in windows 7 or Windows 8.1 bootmgr for \boot\bcd \boot\bc1

#171 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

See http://www.rmprepusb...and-server-2008

It patches Win 7 RTM version of bootmgr, but I don't know about Win8 bootmgr  (or even if win7 bootmgr would work for Win8).

you MUST use the Win7 RTM version of bootmgr with a CRC32 value of EE471B58!

#172 KamrulCox

KamrulCox
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Bangladesh

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

See http://www.rmprepusb...and-server-2008

It patches Win 7 RTM version of bootmgr, but I don't know about Win8 bootmgr  (or even if win7 bootmgr would work for Win8).

Thanks for quick reply. I read many post in this forum including rmprepusb you’ve suggested. I got the best way is zbootmgr for me. But it shows unsupported version.

Bootmgr_BCD_Store_changer.png

I tested with both compress bootmgr and decompress bootmgr. I tried windows 7 (Untouched Win7_Ultimatex86- X17-59463) bootmgr and Windows 8.1 (en_windows_8.1_enterprise_with_update_x86_dvd_6050710) bootmgr. I tried also hex editor. I only need bootmgr1>bc1, bootmgr2>bc2 etc, nothing more advanced. 

#173 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

The CRC32 value of the bootmgr file is given  - check yours is the same.

#174 Fryquez

Fryquez
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

Did you try the latest version of zbootmgr?

Edited by Fryquez, 28 February 2015 - 04:28 PM.

#175 KamrulCox

KamrulCox
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Bangladesh

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

Did you try the latest version of zbootmgr?

Thanks a lot Fryquez. Update version is working very nice. Thanks steve6375 for your quick response and wise instruction. Best regards you two.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users