JonF's BootSDI problems

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#51 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

:cheers:
Peter

#52 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Ok, let's sum up my issue that I originally asked about.

I originally asked about a means of editing the img file in an iso file. The img is within the iso file as the img is loaded into a ram drive. I wanted to be able to edit the img file and thought that the img file as it was originally listed BootSDI.img was not the original file format. I thought that due to the fact the UltraIso would not load the BootSDI.img when once it was extracted. I wanted to edit the img file so that I could customize a few of the items that where within the img to suit it to my needs.
I had not realized that the img was not recognizing in UltraIso due to the fact that something in the img is corrupt. I know this because I made an effort to edit the img in WinImage and WinImage wouldn't let me do anything to delete or inject for replacing the files that I wanted to replace. I even went so far as trying to remaster the bootSDI.img by extracting the contents and using UltraIso to make a new bootSDI.img and then reinsert this into the iso image of the WinPe that I was wanting to customize. I did all of this but then I got a new error. txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt.
Mind you that this is not the same sif file from any other WinPe but is specific to this one. Again I took a look at the sif from the image file and found it to be gibberish whereas all other txtsetup.sif files from other WinPe where not gibberish. So... Anyone got any ideas... Personally, I'm tired.:cheers:

#53 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

xylosxot

it will be better and easier for you to build a project (ex: http://winbuilder.ne...oad.php?view.35 ) instead of editing an existing builded iso image. Else, good luck.

#54 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:12 AM

Ok, let's sum up my issue that I originally asked about.

I originally asked about a means of editing the img file in an iso file. The img is within the iso file as the img is loaded into a ram drive. I wanted to be able to edit the img file and thought that the img file as it was originally listed BootSDI.img was not the original file format. I thought that due to the fact the UltraIso would not load the BootSDI.img when once it was extracted. I wanted to edit the img file so that I could customize a few of the items that where within the img to suit it to my needs.
I had not realized that the img was not recognizing in UltraIso due to the fact that something in the img is corrupt. I know this because I made an effort to edit the img in WinImage and WinImage wouldn't let me do anything to delete or inject for replacing the files that I wanted to replace. I even went so far as trying to remaster the bootSDI.img by extracting the contents and using UltraIso to make a new bootSDI.img and then reinsert this into the iso image of the WinPe that I was wanting to customize. I did all of this but then I got a new error. txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt.
Mind you that this is not the same sif file from any other WinPe but is specific to this one. Again I took a look at the sif from the image file and found it to be gibberish whereas all other txtsetup.sif files from other WinPe where not gibberish. So... Anyone got any ideas... Personally, I'm tired.:cheers:

You can extract the BOOTSDI.IMG from the ISO (in I386) with your editor (I use PowerISO) and then mount the IMG with IMDisk (look for new drive in My Computer). You'll be able to edit anything you want in there and changes will be saved when you unmount; then just inject it back into your ISO.

btw, IMDisk doesn't allow direct mount from rt-click option by default so add this to your registry in XP:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Mount]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Mount\command]

@="imdisk -a -f \"%L\" -m #:"

#55 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

The only thing that I can think of is that the author of the image file has built the image file so that the img file cannot be edited. I've tried the IMDisk, Daemon Tools, Emt4Win, and a few others. Every time I get the same problem. None of the programs want to recognize the file as a img format. The only issue with this is that WinImage will recognize the file but I still cannot edit the file. I had wandered if it were possible for him to call this file within the iso image without it being the proper name and also at the same time be able to rename the file so as to confuse anyone trying to edit the file. The only other thing that I can think of is that all the sources from which I'm getting the file are corrupt or he took a hex editor and edited the img to make it function but also make it un-edit-able.
So back to drawing board again. Thanks for the help though. If you have any other thoughts please share them. :cheers:

#56 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

Part of the reason I opted for editing an image like the one that I've been asking about is that I keep getting errors and problems every time I run WinBuilder.
The following is one that I keep getting amongst the 20 errors I've got listed all are about CabExtraction

CabExtract - Failed to expand file: [I:\Xp Pro\i386\xmlp_bdg.xd_] to [%BaseDir%\Target\LiveXp\i386\Provisioning\Schmas]

All except one of the errors are about CabExtraction I know how to read the command line that the error is referring to and I know that winbuilder is trying to extract .xd_ files to inject into the finished image but I don't know where the .xd_ files are. They aren't in the above mentioned I:\Xp Pro\i386 directory.

any ideas......

#57 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

xylosxot

download and use Livexp from here:

http://winbuilder.ne...oad.php?view.35

#58 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

I did. This is a problem that I'm getting from using that download off of winbuilder.net

#59 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Change
I:\Xp Pro\
to
I:\XpPro\
:cheers:

#60 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

xylosxot

also if you updated (download new scripts) LiveXP, as written in my signature "LiveXP Warning: Use latest authorized winbuilder.exe - Click to see"

#61 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

Don't know how this would make a difference but I'm trying again per your suggestion. I: Drive is not an optical. I copied the contents of my Xp Pro Disc to my hard drive for faster response.

#62 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

I copied the contents of my Xp Pro Disc to my hard drive for faster response.

Dont worry, Most of us do the same :cheers:
( Follow advices of my previous 2 posts ;) )

#63 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

I've done so on both. Every time I get to Qemu it takes forever for the
ROOT\*PNP0700\1_0_13_0_0_0
popup to go all the way through the end. I've even waited up to ten minutes for this to pass before I finally gave up and terminated Qemu and end up seeing the same 20 errors mentioned in my previous post.

#64 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

xylosxot

Click download at right up, choose only livexp on the Available server list
Posted Image
and click Download button on left bottom

you will get updated scripts to solve qemu problem.

#65 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

Doing so now... :cheers:

#66 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

OK, I'm thoroughly confused.

In the latest Boot SDI, under "HDD and USB Disk" I see three buttons.

If I click "FIX" or "REM", the script starts running and echos "Processing commands...". Apparently nothing else happens until I get tired of waiting and terminate the script.

If I click "Process", the flash drive gets formatted and I see BootSDI.img, NTDetect.com, and SetupLdr.bin in the root.

In my ISO file, I see an I386 directory, a WIMS directory, a [BOOT] directory, Projectinfo.ini and Winnt.sif.

In the "Ram" subdirectory of my ISO directory I find an I386 subdirectory (which contains BootSDI.img, NTDetect.com, and SetupLdr.bin), a WIMS subdirectory (containing WIMS.vmdk), and bootsect.bin, projectinfo.ini, and winnt.sif.

I've tried a few combinations of copying things to the USB stick and none work.

Why can't "Process" complete the job?

If "Process" can't complete the job, why can't there be a readme.txt or something placed in the ISO and in the Ram subdirectory, listing what the next steps should be?

#67 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi JonF

In my ISO file, I see an I386 directory, a WIMS directory, a [BOOT] directory, Projectinfo.ini and Winnt.sif.

In the "Ram" subdirectory of my ISO directory I find an I386 subdirectory (which contains BootSDI.img, NTDetect.com, and SetupLdr.bin), a WIMS subdirectory (containing WIMS.vmdk), and bootsect.bin, projectinfo.ini, and winnt.sif.

Nice to see everthing working properly back again on vista32 :cheers:

I never used or have time to look "HDD & USB Disk" option on bootsdi script, but i can help you preparing livexp-bootsdi on USB.
After installing grub4dos to usb (Assuming you already know )
extract all files in LiveXP_Ram.iso to USB
in grub4dos menu.lst add this
title LiveXP SDI

find --set-root /SETUPLDR.BIN

chainloader /SETUPLDR.BIN

boot

I hope (%80) this works. (need time to test)

#68 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

Still having cab extraction errors. ;) I will tend to this matter again at another time. Wasting to much time :cheers: try to hammer out the problem. Will get back with you guys again later. Thnx for the help nonetheless. Bye for now....

I'm outta here!!!! :cheers:

#69 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

xylosxot

I hope you are using "Default xpPsp2" as source. You must send your .log file when reporting error so we can see what is happening out there.

Tomorrow (or other day) i will upload .zip package(s). So you will be able to make a quick trustable trial. I dont know a "cab extraction" error recently and i build livexp couple of times during this topic.

Cu later

#70 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

extract all files in LiveXP_Ram.iso to USB
in grub4dos menu.lst add this

title LiveXP SDI

find --set-root /SETUPLDR.BIN

chainloader /SETUPLDR.BIN

boot

Of course that doesn't work, since SETUPLDR.BIN is in the /I386 subdirectory. When I change /SETUPLDR.BIN to /I386/SETUPLDR.BIN I get "NTDETECT failed".

This really shouldn;t be so ridiculously difficult.

#71 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

JonF,

ah sorry,
I usually prepare my usb stick for ntldr boot with "USB ntldrusb.zip" from here , and edit boot.ini as above
[Boot Loader]

timeout=0

default=C:\grldr

[Operating Systems]

C:\grldr="Start GRUB"
Than add grub4dos files :cheers:
the thing i forget is, ntdetect.com need to be prepared for usb booting which i get from tinyempire.
Than i adding files to usb should work. (give me some more time to make a build to test)

#72 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

Hi JonF

I just successfully booted with usb,
After making usb mbr to boot with xp ntldr (with either tinybit or another method)
copy files from LiveXP_Ram.iso as shown in picture

Posted Image

ps: there are various other methods, this is what i like and what i find easiest to explain.

Happy new year.

#73 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Thanks, I finally figured it out and got a booting USB stick!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks for all your help. Now to figure out how to make it convenient and practical.

#74 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

xylosxot

you may have a source cd problem,
download 2k3sp2 Trial X13-05665 and use it as source (open image with ultraiso and extract the image into I:\2k3sp2\ ;) )

if unsuccess, create and attach a .log file

good luck :cheers:

JonF

Nice to read success :cheers:
There are numerous ways to make it convenient and practical. Check look tutorial section :cheers:
Also check yggdrasil scripts (add Level=10 to the scripts of yggdrasil) http://web.telia.com...rial/start.html i havent tested but they look very very nice.

#75 xylosxot

xylosxot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

Tried the link that you gave to me earlier and couldn't even get one minute into the build before the build would stop all on its own saying that I didn't have to proper OS to make a LiveXp disc. So I opted for the other choice that I'd not yet tried. I used an Xp Home OEM from dell that I have. Also got more errors. More Cab Extraction errors to be precise. Guess I'm doing something wrong somewhere. Give us a hand if your able. I'd truly appreciate it. Kept trying to upload log file but the log file is to large. The log file that was generated was 8mb html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users