122 replies to this topic

#51 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

@wimb

I Enjoy your pe21 Otherwise I can Add an Extra Button in USB_XP_Setup.exe and use Format followed by BootSect.exe /nt52

... :cheers: ...

BTW the Format Buttons in A43 and FreeCommander do not work at the moment.
And in DriveManager the Explore Button is NOT working.
Most likely this is due to a missing Vista Explorer.
Would it be simple to add the functionality of Vista Explorer and Format to your Project Or are we crossing here the FREE border ?

I was surprised how simple it looks when using 'LiVissta Rescup' and nanoVIS, and "The VistaPE scripts in WinBuilder make adding Explorer a piece ofcake". However, both require access to the install.wim from a Vista Installation DVD, which many people avoided. For the developers of those projects, I don't think it was as easy as it might appear to a user.

Quite a number of otherwise excellent Programs make the presumption that Windows' explorer.exe is always available. I have tried to investigate ways to somehow link the explorer buttons and functions found in some Programs to alternative file managers, but have not found an easy solution.

Also, some good alternative shells unfortunately provide by default, a means to switch back to explorer. A nice feature except when the OS happens to be Windows PE!

I will also try to Add the U_XP_SET package to the Project in a simalar way as used for adding the mkimg Tools.
Do you think this can be done this way ?

I was also looking at this. ... :cheers: ...

The script lines for creating shortcuts are long and difficult to read because of the number of parameters that can be used.

In a nutshell... For GUI Programs, the script line adds a line to startnet.cmd to call a .cmd which locates the Program's .exe then passes the path and other parameters to a vb script that creates the shortcut. For cmd-line Tools, it's similar, except the called .cmd has the parameters slightly rearranged so that the .exe is cmd.exe and the parameters passed to the vb script are the path to the tool and cmd-line switches.

I look forward to the addition of your package. Having just had a brief encounter with Win7beta, I would say that XP is still here to stay!

Regards :cheers:

#52 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

hi allanf,

about jkDefrag, may be you missed it but here is GUI for jkdefrag (for amd64 as well ;o)

I got idea how to trick pkgmgr. Why: pkgmgr recognize type OS and add what is for this type OS.

example: MSU package with Windows Installer has msi.dll and msiexec.exe for Vista SP1 but not for WinPE 2.1 :cheers:

Idea: how about to move all files from vista SP1 image and insert files from WinPE?!

I must try it ;o)

#53 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

I look forward to the addition of your package.

Great :cheers:

Adding U_XP_SET package can be relatively simple,
since Creating a Shortcut to PStart.exe is already sufficient.
All tools of U_XP_SET are portable and are launched from PStart Menu.

In the mean time I am making a FORMAT Button in USB_XP_Setup.exe to allow Format with NTLDR-type BootSector of XP.

Thanks for your help :cheers:

#54 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

I got idea how to trick pkgmgr. Why: pkgmgr recognize type OS and add what is for this type OS.

example: MSU package with Windows Installer has msi.dll and msiexec.exe for Vista SP1 but not for WinPE 2.1 :cheers:

Idea: how about to move all files from vista SP1 image and insert files from WinPE?!

Ahh! That's the answer! pkgmgr is quite clever.

The Vista SP1 image - Is it an image from boot.wim or from install.wim? Or either?

But really, this is a simple project whose only source is the WAIK. How is your new project going? ... :cheers: ...

I'll look at jkDefrag_portable.

#55 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

The Vista SP1 image - Is it an image from boot.wim or from install.wim? Or either?

i will try all one ;o)

But really, this is a simple project whose only source is the WAIK.

I know but if i can do it like this complicate way. THAN I can say which files and registry you need ;o)

How is your new project going? ... :cheers: ...

I am waiting on NightMan because he is finishing new version of VistaPE. Propably I will test amd64 version and compilation for amd64 source. It is a little bit pity new version is not pure winbuilder scripts ;o(

I spend time to find how to run MSI and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008" on amd64 ;o) Tip with msiexec /regserver doesn't work ;o(

#56 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

All tools of U_XP_SET are portable and are launched from PStart Menu.

@wimb,

OK. Looks easy. ... :cheers: ...

Here is a script which works for the download, extraction and shortcut creation with your icon. It looks good. I haven't tested the programs yet.

I modified the download link from:
http://wimb.winbuild...ad=U_XP_SET.exe
to:
http://wimb.winbuild...ds/U_XP_SET.exe
because it seems more straight-forward. I hope it doesn't matter.

Add the script to script.project (opened with a text editor, such as notepad), adding a single line to the [Apps] Section, and the new [U_XP] Section.

As a txt file due to the length of lines.

@Filip

OK I understand now. Thanks for the testing. I was thinking that the Servicing folder in the Vista or WinPE image communicates with pkgmgr and determines what can or cannot be installed. ... :cheers: ... maybe other things as well?

Regards :cheers:

#57 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

@allanf
Thanks for making U_XP_SET.txt which I can Add to your script.project

The change of the download link for U_XP_SET.exe is OK.

I will test the modified script.project and let you know.

Thanks for your help :cheers:

wimb

#58 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

@allanf

Have tested script.project modified for U_XP_SET.exe Support.

Making and Booting with the ISO is fine.
Nice to have PStart direct available in your Windows PE 2 with GUI Environment. :cheers:

Running of the Programs of U_XP_SET like BOOT_IMG is fine,
but as expected first one has to Add setupldr.bin of Windows Server 2003 SP1
which file I am NOT allowed to put in the package. :cheers:

ERROR - Missing Server 2003 SP1 File setupldr.bin

File \makebt\srsp1\setupldr.bin NOT Found

Solution: 

Copy File <Winbuilder>\Workbench\Common\BootSDI\setupldr.bin

As File USB_XP_Setup\makebt\srsp1\setupldr.bin
But otherwise everything works OK.

For Make_USB.exe - BOOT_ISO.exe and USB_XP_Setup.exe there is no problem, but for Install of LiveXP Boot Option we need first to Add setupldr.bin to the U_XP_SET folder as discussed above.

The problem can simply be avoided by changing the focus to Windows PE 2.1 - ISO as favourite PE Boot Option. :cheers:

In USB_XP_Setup.exe I will make FORMAT Button (coming soon ...),which allows to format Install Drive with NTLDR-type BootSector of XP.

And then we can use your Windows PE 2.1 ISO with GUI as the most general PE which allows to Install XP - Vista or Windows 7 from USB-stick. :cheers:

#59 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

... a delta. Actually should be alpha 1, alpha 2, alpha 3, etc. because not everything has been tested. Anyway, 'delta' it is! What's next? gamma or epsilon?

Added to the Program Selection Menu:
wimb's U_XP_SET Install from USB
Holger's PENetwork GUI Configuration
lee's ViSplore Amazing Explorer (Thanks to Medevil)
Don Ho's Notepad++ Source Editor (with Context Menu, total notepad.exe Replacement, and Explorer and Hex Editor extra Plugins)
Thomas Kolb's jkDefragStarter GUI. (@Filip - x86 and x64 - No more PA.com! ... :good: ...)

Enabled BGInfo and damian666's Random Wallpaper in the xoblite and bbLean Shells

Slightly modified bbLean's menu

Moved a lot of Registry Settings from Build-time to Boot-time

The Selected File-Manager and Web-Browser are automatically added to emergeDesktop's Launcher

And a few other things ... ^_^ ...

New Users. Install WAIK 1.1 (release for Vista SP1). Download the following .zip, and extract it to a path without spaces. Double-click Winbuilder.exe and Press 'PLAY'! ... ^_^ ...

http://pe2.winbuilde...d/pe21.003d.zip

Old Users. Use Winbuilder's Download Center - pe2.winbuilder.net

EDIT: Forgot to mention that emergeDesktop Development Shell was added for x86 and x64 PEs.

Regards ^_^

#60 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

... small correction (with a big impact) to script.project to allow installation of drivers from the nominated folder.

Regards

#61 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

@allanf

Very nice :good:

Thanks for all the improvements.

Very handy to Boot so FAST in about 25 sec with this pe21.iso loaded from Harddisk into RAMDISK and have all important System Management Programs available.

Regards,

wimb

#62 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

@allanf

Very nice :good:

Thank you, wimb.

I still haven't tested your Program. I don't really have the infrastructure

What I would like to try though is to do the whole set up from WinPE.

1. Boot WinPE with USB device inserted and XP source in I386 folder on HDD.

2. Format the USB device, and copy the XP Source to it as required.

3. Create a test Partition on the HDD.

4. Setup XP on the test Partition and make it bootable.

I think your Program can do all (or most) of that.

BTW, that bonus System Info app in U_XP_SET is a great tool too.

Regards ^_^.

#63 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

Everything you have in mind can be done with U_XP_SET
except point 3. Create a test Partition on the HDD.
Also for Install of XP it is necessary to Set Active this Test Partition. The Test Partition must be a Primary Partition and NOT a Logical drive of the Extended Partition.

For that purpose you might make use of DISKPART :good:
or Create the Test Partition previously by using Acronis Disk Director After Booting with LiveXP BootSDI.img made with one of the Stable Projects of amalux e.g. lx76hfcxaf or lx101408cxs
http://amalux.winbuilder.net/

In general for testing purposes I make first a Ghost image of the partition meant for Install of XP and Backup any important Data.
So that After Test Install of XP you can simply return to the original situation by Restore of your Ghost image.

#64 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:51 PM

Everything you have in mind can be done with U_XP_SET
except point 3. Create a test Partition on the HDD.
Also for Install of XP it is necessary to Set Active this Test Partition. The Test Partition must be a Primary Partition and NOT a Logical drive of the Extended Partition.

For that purpose you might make use of DISKPART ^_^

OK. Thanks ... :good: ...

I have had some experience with WinPE 2.1's diskpart - shrinking volumes and creating new partitions. I'll give U_XP_Set a try, and report back.

In general for testing purposes I make first a Ghost image of the partition meant for Install of XP and Backup any important Data.

Very good advice! ... ^_^ ...

#65 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

hi allanf,

i found commander inspirited by TC: doublecmd.sourceforge.net run on x86, x64 and on linux as well ;o)

#66 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

hi allanf,

i found commander inspirited by TC: doublecmd.sourceforge.net run on x86, x64 and on linux as well ;o)

Thanks Filip Hasa ... ^_^ ...

I tried it in the project. It is a very snappy File Manager. Excellent... :good: ...

Maybe, there are some TC plugins that can also be used. Any ideas?

On another subject...

I was looking at

http://www.deployvis...US/Default.aspx

where you found the BGInfo/Autorun plugin. The ADSI plugin illustrates a very nice way to add registry settings using peimg! (Too bad that plugin requires files from full Vista.)

Regards ^_^

#67 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

Maybe, there are some TC plugins that can also be used. Any ideas?

It a little bit complicate because for x64 you need compile dll under these platform.
but I think I can find more plugins like this

where you found the BGInfo/Autorun plugin. The ADSI plugin illustrates a very nice way to add registry settings using peimg! (Too bad that plugin requires files from full Vista.)

OKey but what is the point?

#68 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

OKey but what is the point?

Referring to, for example:
peimg /inf&#58;C&#58;\Plugins\ADSI\ADSI.inf c&#58;\mount

... A single line in the script is much, much neater than:
RegHiveLoad ...

RegWrite ....

RegWrite ....

&#91;or ... regedit ... &#93;

RegHiveUnload ...

IMO ... :good: ...

#69 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

i see. i think that it standard inf like for inf files for drives.

but it worked strange if you had x64 bit source.

I can try find some info how to create and so on.

Get I clue what do you want?! ;o)

#70 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

Get I clue what do you want?! ;o)

MSI? ... :good: ...

Or the emergeDesktop settings:

Or File-Type-Association entries:

&#91;RgFleTypeAssoc&#93;

##--- Parameter #1 is the File Extension ---##

Echo,&#34;Adding %ProgramName%.#1 FileType Association&#34;

RegWrite,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;PE2_SOFTWARE\Classes\.#1&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;%ProgramName%.#1&#34;

RegWrite,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;PE2_SOFTWARE\Classes\%ProgramName%.#1&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;#1 File&#34;

RegWrite,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;PE2_SOFTWARE\Classes\%ProgramName%.#1\shell&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;&#34;

RegWrite,&#34;HKLM&#34;,0x1,&#34;PE2_SOFTWARE\Classes\%ProgramName%.#1\shell\open&#34;,&#34;&#34;,&#34;&#34;

Note that the following entry is added at boot-time to locate the Program in RAM or Media:

&#34;REG#$sAdd#$sHKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\%ProgramName%.#1\shell\open\command ... etc ...

Just an idea because I thought there was an issue with regedit (and Winbuilder regwrite ... ^_^ ...) under Vista/Win7's UAC Control. Not sure how peimg goes under UAC.

No idea really ... ^_^ ...

Regards

#71 Sirquil

Sirquil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

I am having a problem with DirMove command building this project; as soon as there is a DirMove command the project halts.

Building on Vista Home Preimum SP1 with WAIK 1.1 installed using Winbuilder 076. I have uninstalled AVG 8.5, turned off the firewall --still same result.

Sirquil

#72 MaineCoon

MaineCoon

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 193 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

I am having a problem with DirMove command

I can confirm this behaviour using Vista Home Premium SP0 with WAIK 1.1 and WB 076.

MaineCoon

Attached File  log.7z   8.09KB   649 downloads

#73 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:42 AM

I can confirm this behaviour using Vista Home Premium SP0 with WAIK 1.1 and WB 076.

MaineCoon

Attached File  log.7z   8.09KB   649 downloads

Thanks for the feedback guys, and the log.

Basically, this is what the script does before the halt in the log:

Copies the SOFTWARE hive (and other files starting with SOFTWAR*) from the mounted image to a temporary directory.
Loads the hive from the temporary directory.
Makes an entry in the loaded hive to run startnet.cmd at startup.
Unloads the hive in the temporary directory.
Moves the amended hive from the temporary directory back to the mounted image, thereby overwriting the original hive with the amended one.

The reason for this procedure is that I had some problems amending a hive that was loaded directly from the mounted image.

There does not seem to be a problem loading, amending and unloading the hive from the temporary directory.

The halt appears to relate only to the movement of the temporary directory and perhaps the overwriting of the original files. I haven't experienced the halt on XP (my XP anyway), but I do recall some dirmove issues posted in the forum when Vista was first released. So, I assume that this is a Vista issue with file overwriting.

I am really not keen on making registry adjustments during build-time, and have taken most registtry settings into the startnet.cmd, so that they are done at boot-time. However, the one vital registry setting that must be made during build-time is the one that starts startnet.cmd setting - the one that has caused the error in the log! I assume that if the script progressed, then he other build-time registry settings would also fail.

Currently investigating the option of performing registry adjustments using the peimg command which is a lot neater. The startnet.cmd setting should be THE prime candidate.

A quick fix might be to filedelete the SOFTWARE* files in %TargetDir%\Windows\System32\config before moving them back. Or, perhaps better, might be to DirMove the entire %TargetDir%\Windows\System32\config directory to %ScriptDir% rather than FileCopy individual files to %ScriptDir%\config - then DirMove it back.

In the meantime, I have just set up a test machine with Win7 beta. So, I'll see how winbuilder goes, and check whether the issue occurs there.

Note that the winbuilder OnError command has not yet been implemented because I was hoping to retain backward compatibility with winbuilder 074. (I think that things have gone beyond that idea already!) This means that the image is still mounted when the script halts. Running the script again will dismount any wayward mounted images in the %TargetDir%, but again if the script halts, there will still be a mounted image. So it needs to be unmounted manually from the 'Start>All Programs>Microsoft Windows AIK>PE Tools Command Prompt' with:

imagex /unmount <Winbuilder Base Directory>\Target\pe21

Sorry 'bout that chiefs ... :good: ...

#74 Filip Hasa

Filip Hasa

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hi allanf,

i found link for this work.

http://msdn.microsof...y/ms790212.aspx - Creating INF Files for Multiple Platforms and Operating Systems
http://msdn.microsof...y/ms790204.aspx - Creating International INF Files
http://msdn.microsof...y/ms790223.aspx - Summary of INF Sections
http://msdn.microsof...y/ms790193.aspx - Summary of INF Directives

http://www.osronline...te-inf_4l47.htm - something like tutorial

and most important i found program for creating inf files - I have to test it.

Do you want go this way?!

#75 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Its a great pity winbuilder does not show the underlying error reported from the win32 api. That way it would be much easier to debug these kind of problems.

Does DirMove,"%ScriptDir%\config","%TargetDir%\Windows\System32" work if %TargetDir%\Windows\System32\config already exists?Could also fail if %ScriptDir%\config contains locked files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users