Photo
- - - - -

What Files are Needed to Work with OEM i386?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

Lancelot,

"before asking further questions, i advice you to read amalux tutorial http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4111" Hard to believe but have and even have a printed copy.

"also learn vmware/virtual box which are very good emulators to make practice with kind of stuffs you ask." Agree that I am very low on the learning curve for all these apps and so far progress has been Very Slow.

G

#27 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

Lancelot,
Agree that I am very low on the learning curve for all these apps and so far progress has been Very Slow.

i always like to show the begining of the rope to a starter who wants to learn, speed is not important, time is always needed when learning a new stuff, but you should follow the rope and read and learn tutorials that interests you. I am pretty new with winbuilder too (about 1-2 month i guess) :huh: and got mostly very good help from boot-land :huh: , masters (nuno, peter, galapo.....) are the ones who know very much than me about these stuff, i am learning too.

ps: vmware is not freeware, virtual box is freeware. I use vmware but virtual box is very strong emulator too as far as i read from boot-land.

also dont forget to look around in tutorial section for other tutorials that highly probably help you http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=31

#28 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:19 AM

Hi Gene,

Will WinBuilder remember that I changed this option or do I have to do this every time it starts?

There are different ways of doing this; personally, I save a copy of the base folder before running it; that way, if I want to run it again I'm not starting from scratch. I make a lot of changes so this base build is always evolving. If I make changes that mess things up, I can always go back to the previous build before I made those changes. Others will give you different opinions on this :huh:

Re. your other question, the simplest way to get a screen-shot is to press 'Print Screen' key on your keyboard (saves image of your desktop at the moment you hit the key) then paste the image into Paint (StartMenu-(All)Programs-Accessories) and edit accordingly, save it as a JPEG (much smaller file size) on your desktop and upload it to the forum when writing your post. Underneath the text window on the forum reply page is the Browse... and UPLOAD buttons; browse to the image on your desktop and select it, then upload (will be listed in 'Manage Current Attachments' dropdown for adding to your post. Use this option wisely as you have limited attachment storage space for these images :huh:

oops, missed this one:

Only 1 Error. Tried to copy from WinBuilder Log Screen using the std Win rt click but got nothing. Here it is:
"Failed to copy [D:\I386\NTOSKRNL.EX_] to [C:\LiveXP\Lx40308ln\Target\LiveXP\I386\System32]"

You really need to post your Log.html for this, see other post (PM) for instructions. Also, uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' in Tools - Folder Options - View and search your I386 source folder for "ntoskrnl*" (without the quotes), give me the exact file name and extension you find.

#29 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

amalux,

Here is the QEMU Error Code 14

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   133.43KB   303 downloads

#30 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:40 PM

amalux,

Here i9s the Screen Capture for the QEMU Error 14

G

Attached Thumbnails

• QEMU_error14.jpg

#31 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

amalux,

"View and search your I386 source folder for "ntoskrnl*" (without the quotes), give me the exact file name and extension you find."

Think have found reason for problem in I386 there is no NTOSKRNL.EX_ only NTOSKRNL.EXE

Did a search of Windows made with this Dell CD and found 3 copies of NTOSKRNL.EXE
1 in sys32 and 2 in drivercashe\i386

Will try to attach the search zip

G

Attached Files

#32 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hi Gene,

All of the files which cause errors in your log (and ultimately the boot error as well) are included in a normal (full) xp source so, again, you're dealing with missing files or more likely different versions of those files in your source. To find out if you have different versions, for each copy error in the log you have to search your source (rt-click I386 folder, choose Search) for the file, replacing the last character of the file extension with an asterisk (*); so, HALMACPI.DL_ search for HALMACPI.DL* - HALMPS.DL_ search for HALMPS.DL* etc. If you find halmacpi.dll and halmps.dll etc. in your source, we might get this to work yet but you have to do this for every error and let me know what you find (if you don't find the first few, don't bother with the rest).

#33 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

amalux,

"View and search your I386 source folder for "ntoskrnl*" (without the quotes), give me the exact file name and extension you find."

Think have found reason for problem in I386 there is no NTOSKRNL.EX_ only NTOSKRNL.EXE

Did a search of Windows made with this Dell CD and found 3 copies of NTOSKRNL.EXE
1 in sys32 and 2 in drivercashe\i386

Will try to attach the search zip

G

Only search I386 Source folder and tell me what you find there for each file.

#34 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

amalux,

Was able to get a friends OEM files.

Success first time!!!! Still have QEMU open and no probs so far.

Am going to try to send some screen captures. All very compressed so I do not go over the limit. Have 6 and only used <400K so guess really over compressed.

G

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot001.jpg
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
  • ScreenShot003.jpg
  • ScreenShot004.jpg
  • ScreenShot005.jpg
  • ScreenShot006.jpg

#35 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

genosmm
for pictures use
http://www.imageshack.us/
and use .png with imageshack

that will help to for your att. i hope

#36 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hi Gene,

Congrats! Looks good, glad you got it working :huh:

#37 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

amalux,

"Congrats! Looks good, glad you got it working" Me Too!!!

Wish there was a list of what OEM WinXP CDs worked with LiveXP!!!

I am sending my successful log in case it is of some use.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   163.74KB   486 downloads

#38 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

Lancelot,

Was given a couple Win03 Eval CDs. One of the CDs was damaged but other worked. Did my 1st install and really like the increase in range of display screen!!! Goes from 640X480 to 2048x1536 on a P4 845chipset with 2GB mem. Will try on my old test PCs and see if get same range. An esp interested in low end like 640x480 or even less so not to tax these old PCs if do not need the graphics.

Then tried to make a LiveXP using the Good Win03 CD but got an error message. Here is the screen capture and log

G

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot001.jpg

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   162.24KB   300 downloads

#39 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

Lancelot,

Thanks for the Win03 tip!! Really like it!! Seems faster than WinXPH on the same PC.

G

#40 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

genosmm,

never tried livexp with xph or xpoem
i recommend XPproSP2 and 2k3sp1
for 2k3sp1 you can download X11-03905.iso (thanks to dera) as i wrote before which is only ~500mb and more trustable as it will have same effect with everybody.

i hope "Good Win03 CD" is 2k3sp1. 2k3sp2 cause a known error.
I remember the screen you attached but couldnt remember when it happens.

-
i also (by luck) use i livexp with P4 845chipset with 2GB mem (asus p4p800) which didnt cause anyproblem to me,
resolution problem was solved by galapo a while ago when reported last month (i guess),
for further please remind about 2 days as i am also waiting sth to be fixed too.

-

Each ver of Windows does something a little different.
Did my 1st install on a 2GB partition on a 60GB HD then made a 8GB partition but when rebooted Win03 is not seeing it.

i couldnt understand that, sorry for my poor english.

-
Please be sure you build livexp with 2k3sp1 or xpprosp2 so others can easly reproduce what you have

#41 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

Lancelot,

"i hope "Good Win03 CD" is 2k3sp1. 2k3sp2 cause a known error." Rechecked on the CD it has 0103 Part No. x09-45608 and it has WIN51 and WIN51IA Did a Screen Capture.

"i also (by luck) use i livexp with P4 845chipset with 2GB mem (asus p4p800) which didnt cause anyproblem to me" Good! Mine is a Dell2350.

"resolution problem was solved by galapo a while ago when reported last month (i guess)," Thanks will search for it.
for further please remind about 2 days as i am also waiting sth to be fixed too.

-

"i couldnt understand that, sorry for my poor english." My fault for taking shortcuts. Will try to rephrase. For my first Windows 2003(Win03) install I used a Clean Unformated 60GB HDD. Then used Win03 Setup to make and format a 2GB partition (rest of HDD still unpartitioned) After the install I used Win03 Setup to make and format a 8GB partition. Then rebooted Win03 and the 8GB partition was not visible under hard drives in my computer (it is always visible when do this with Windows XP Home).

G

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot002.jpg

#42 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

-
from picture, the 2k3 you have is sp0 which i never made a trial with livexp,
you probably can add sp1 to content of this cd, nlite will highly probably help, lots of tutorials in google about it.
btw:i couldnt understand why insist on not to download X11-03905
-
i understand your problem now a bit i guess:
1st for reminding: you dont need to install 2k3 to use it with livexp, i advice you only to use 2k3sp1 as source for livexp not install
2nd: assuming you install 2k3 for educational purpose not for livexp, there are some configuration you need for personal use that makes life easier with 2k3, check here: http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/
also for answer of your problem: 2k3 dont automatically adds drive letters to new partition, you should do it manually (which is a very popular question for a new starter to 2k3 around), go to control panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management, right click on partition that dont have drive letter and click "change drive letter and paths", in coming screen click add and choose a driver letter.... I guess this helps
There are plenty of sites around for answers of 2k3 usage basic questions, google helped me a lot about understanding, i hope google helps you too.

#43 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:30 PM

amalux,

Recently became aware of RescueBoot http://www.resqware.com/ so dl and when installed on my Dell Test PC (used the Dell WinXP Home that did not work with LiveXP) got Windows Hotfix Needed "Your Windows XP version contains a defect that prevents it from creating a bootable RescueBoot CD" Did a Screen Capture.

Am wondering if this defect could be also causing the LiveXP error problem?

Have you ever added RescueBoot to LiveXP? Could not really tell from quick check of the larger vers. Am now on 56K so is very slow.

Are you interested in adding it to a ln ver?

G

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot001.jpg

#44 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:44 PM

Lancelot,

"btw:i couldnt understand why insist on not to download X11-03905" Only because I was able to get Windows 2003 CDs. Agree will be dl and try it.

Thanks for the links! As you can tell am very low on the Win03 learning curve. Will probably just try Win03 to see how it compares with Linux or FreeBSD as a server. When did some searching did find a tutorial for converting it to a "WorkStation".

G

#45 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:36 AM

amalux,

Recently became aware of RescueBoot http://www.resqware.com/ so dl and when installed on my Dell Test PC (used the Dell WinXP Home that did not work with LiveXP) got Windows Hotfix Needed "Your Windows XP version contains a defect that prevents it from creating a bootable RescueBoot CD" Did a Screen Capture.

I got the same error - odd, wants me to install sp3 :huh:

Am wondering if this defect could be also causing the LiveXP error problem?

No.

Have you ever added RescueBoot to LiveXP? Could not really tell from quick check of the larger vers. Am now on 56K so is very slow.

Are you interested in adding it to a ln ver?

G

Not if sp3 is required (or whatever this patch is) and it doesn't look like a program that could be added anyway but thanks for the lead, it's interesting :huh:

#46 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

amalux,

"I got the same error - odd, wants me to install sp3 :huh:" I did not get that error message. As prev mention my Dell WinXPH has SP2. All I did was let RescueBoot do the patch and it installed OK. Have not had a chance to test it yet.

G

#47 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Thanks again for the clarification and tips!

Have just dl X11-03905.iso and what free software to you recommend to open and manipulate files?

Did a search and got a lot of apps http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

Checked your portable apps but did not find a complete listing of your favorite apps. Is there a list?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

G

I decide to answer your pm here so others who search in boot-land may get help from this post too

you can extract X11-03905.iso easly with 7-zip, winrar, daemon tools etc.

please ask in forum (in boot-land or other) rather then pm so others who search in bootland can take answers,
these are realy basic questions and have nearly nothing to do with PE stuff, as i am turk i ask my questions that are not directly about PE in http://forum.donanim...rumid_13/tt.htm with my native language, i am sure there are some forum sites that you can write with your native language and get answers easly.

good luck

#48 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

amalux,

"I got the same error - odd, wants me to install sp3 :huh:" I did not get that error message. As prev mention my Dell WinXPH has SP2. All I did was let RescueBoot do the patch and it installed OK. Have not had a chance to test it yet.

G

OK, I investigated further; the actual 'error' is apparently generic to Windows XP (thru sp2) "The Microsoft Windows XP Image Mastering API (IMAPI) contains a defect that prevents you from successfully creating a startup CD-ROM with a single startup image." more info here. Obviously, on its face, this assertion is misleading since we know we can make bootable CD's without this patch. Anyway, I tried the program and it eventually creates a bootable rescue disc but with extremely limited functionality and no way to add programs. Obviously no comparison with LiveXP and nothing to be gained :huh:

#49 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

Lancelot,

Thanks Will do!

Used X11-03905.iso with LiveXP successfully. Screen Captures and log attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   167.62KB   321 downloads

#50 genosmm

genosmm

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

Lancelot,

Thanks Will do!

Used X11-03905.iso with LiveXP successfully. Tried to attach log and screen captures. Went over 1K limit. Tried to edit but now do not even see the log?

Get message "Attachment space used 990.5K of 1000K" but do not know what is taking up space?

G

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users