• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Alexei

Alexei

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:24 PM

Never it has been my intention (as the name says) to have an 'official' database of scripts.

Let's clarify :P
We have at least three kinds of users:
- those who use what can be called "official release", i.e. verified stable set of scripts (do we have any "releases" already?)
- those who want to keep-up with the lasets news and do betta-testing
- script developers who need to verify compatibility, etc.
The first category seems to be not established yet, anyway they would download from other place.
The last two categories would definitely download scripts from the Sandbox, from where else?
So, let's forget (for now) about any releases. As I see, we're talking about support for developers (needs of developers, not end-users, should always come first!). "Unofficial script collection" is much more important then "official", at least to us :P
By definition, Sandbox is the place where developers play with their toys :P
And, yes, it's the repository of latest(and previous?) versions of the scripts, but not only/mostly for Nuno to make releases, but for WB community to keep up with the latest news. Please don't even try to think it's not :P :P
:P
Alexei
PS
I hope you're not offended with "don't even try". I just wanted to stress my point :P

#27 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

Let's clarify :P
We have at least three kinds of users:
- those who use what can be called "official release", i.e. verified stable set of scripts (do we have any "releases" already?)
- those who want to keep-up with the lasets news and do betta-testing
- script developers who need to verify compatibility, etc.
The first category seems to be not established yet, anyway they would download from other place.
The last two categories would definitely download scripts from the Sandbox, from where else?
So, let's forget (for now) about any releases. As I see, we're talking about support for developers (needs of developers, not end-users, should always come first!). "Unofficial script collection" is much more important then "official", at least to us :P
By definition, Sandbox is the place where developers play with their toys :P
And, yes, it's the repository of latest(and previous?) versions of the scripts, but not only/mostly for Nuno to make releases, but for WB community to keep up with the latest news. Please don't even try to think it's not :P :P
Alexei
PS
I hope you're not offended with "don't even try". I just wanted to stress my point :P

I have to agree. There is nothing in your post I can contradict.

But: I work in this forum is for my personal fun. And I do not want to extend fun to work ...

So: What can be done to stay sa fun not as work?

Peter

#28 Alexei

Alexei

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

I have to agree. There is nothing in your post I can contradict.

But: I work in this forum is for my personal fun. And I do not want to extend fun to work ...

So: What can be done to stay sa fun not as work?

Peter

Sure :P
I have several solutions:
- add "upload to sandbox" button to WB (better)
- make a script for such uploads (inconvenient to use).
- agree that every developer has to have "sandbox" subfolder in his personal upload area, so all files from that subfolder would go to sandbox (automatically?)
- set links to personal upload areas and get by those links.
- request all developers to post news to the designated topic (I tried and failed, see "NEWS" topic).
- finally, if nothing would work, it's possible to use "web-robot" tool to scan forums and grab all posted scripts :P
In addition, once in a while, you make kinda "internal release"(zip), as you currently do.
Does it sound OK?
Alexei
PS
I already made batch that downloads all files from a specified web-location, including sub-tree (GNU-freeware WGET tool).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users