61 replies to this topic

#26 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

My source CD of what? The Windows XP professional souce CD? I copied that CD in a directory, then I could set that path? Or you want say the source CD of SATA driver? In that case I've not any source CD.

I Understood... sorry... I defined the souce CD path and the build woked well... Now I'm buildin a new Live XP project...
I'm sorry for my ignorance.

#27 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

:-(
After builded driver I restarted project; it gave me a new error: the impossibility to access a WB file; then I went in Download center, I dowload the "complete" projects, I buided newly the DPs mass storage and then restarted the Live XP project: it gave me the same error; you have in attach the log of the errors. I searched in the tree of WinBuilder and I not found the folders that WB was not able to open, but I not understand how is possible why, because I never delete any WinBuilder folder an I dowloaded newly the complete projects...

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   188.49KB   1370 downloads

#28 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:45 PM

When I click on "DPs Mass Storage drivers" automatically unselect "SATA Drivers" and vice-versa
If I select "DPs Mass Storage drivers" in the right panel I see

Yes, that's "by design" as the two scripts are not compatible with each other, so you can only enable one for a particular build.

I've tried to reproduce the extraction error you mentioned but I am unable to do so. You will need to post a log for me to progess with this.

Regards,
Galapo.

EDIT: looks like we overlapped with posting -- I'll check your log now. Thanks.

#29 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

After builded driver I restarted project; it gave me a new error

It seems that you are attempting to use the 'restore base' script without having a 'base' to restore. Disable the script.

Regards,
Galapo.

#30 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

Yes, that's "by design" as the two scripts are not compatible with each other, so you can only enable one for a particular build.

I've tried to reproduce the extraction error you mentioned but I am unable to do so. You will need to post a log for me to progess with this.

Regards,
Galapo.

EDIT: looks like we overlapped with posting -- I'll check your log now. Thanks.

I'm not able to reproduce the same error, but I think it was about a my mistake; now I have a new type of error (see up)

#31 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

Also, you will need to post a new log as you hardly have any scripts enabled -- not even the one that will add the mass storage drivers, 'DPs Mass Storage Drivers'.

#32 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

Also, you will need to post a new log as you hardly have any scripts enabled -- not even the one that will add the mass storage drivers, 'DPs Mass Storage Drivers'.

I set ONLY the project "Live XP" but I have obtained the same type of error.
Please specify me all things, the much simple too...

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   1.71MB   722 downloads

#33 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

You are still choosing to have the 'restore base' script enabled even though you have previously not run the 'save base' script. Consequently, you do not have what is needed to produce a successful build.

These easiest thing for you (and me, since I have to start work now) is to just delete the entire LiveXP project folder and redownload the project. Download server is: livexp.boot-land.net

Regards,
Galapo.

#34 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:12 AM

You are still choosing to have the 'restore base' script enabled even though you have previously not run the 'save base' script. Consequently, you do not have what is needed to produce a successful build.

These easiest thing for you (and me, since I have to start work now) is to just delete the entire LiveXP project folder and redownload the project. Download server is: livexp.boot-land.net

Regards,
Galapo.

Thank you for your patience and kindness.
I think this is a very very innovative and revolutionary program but I understand it is very complicate ad experimental.
I am an electronic technic and a self-made softwarist then my ability to understand same things is limitate.
I am re-downloading all WinBuilder now; I not understand what is "restore base" and "save base" and where are these options and how thart must be used.
The "base" is the path where is WinBuilder.exe and from where was dowloaded all other WinBuilder files?
Now I am building a new pre-installed XP and it seem work properly (I don't know anything about SATA driver now).
In the pre-installed XP what is the name of the Explorer substitute?
Is possible add some program to the pre-installed OS? How?

#35 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:20 AM

The 'restore base' script may be seen in this screenshot -- do not enable it unless you have previously run the 'save base' script. These two scripts work together to save time building images when doing multiple tests where the 'base' is to remain the same and so the build procedure is sped up.
restorebase.png

Yes, %basedir% is the variable specifying the location where the WinBuilder executable resides.

A helpful correction for you: WinBuilder is not likely what you are now downloading. Hopefully you are downloading a 'project', specifically the 'LiveXP' project. 'WinBuilder' refers to the program (WinBuilder.exe) which will process the project you are downloading.

Regards,
Galapo.

#36 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:41 AM

The 'restore base' script may be seen in this screenshot -- do not enable it unless you have previously run the 'save base' script. These two scripts work together to save time building images when doing multiple tests where the 'base' is to remain the same and so the build procedure is sped up.
restorebase.png

Yes, %basedir% is the variable specifying the location where the WinBuilder executable resides.

A helpful correction for you: WinBuilder is not likely what you are now downloading. Hopefully you are downloading a 'project', specifically the 'LiveXP' project. 'WinBuilder' refers to the program (WinBuilder.exe) which will process the project you are downloading.

Regards,
Galapo.

OK... Thank you.
And where is "save base"?
I builded a new ISO file now.
Previously I clicked on "DPs Mass storage driver" "Add DriverPack Mass Storage to the build..." and after this I started the project; in the left panel "DPs Mass storage Drivers" is set and "SATA drivers" is deselected.
In the right panel, under the new DPs driver path I see this string:

problem_driver#1/problem_driver#2/problem_driver#3

During the pre-installation XP building the new DPs drivers are correctly builded into the pre-istalled XP without error.
Testing the pre-installation in the QEMU emulator I no see any HD: I no see the SATA PC HD and I no see the external connected USB HD.
I don't know the name of the Explorer substitute then I right click on the desktop and set "Add new folder"; after this I click on the folder and the browser opens; into that browser I no see any HD over the virtual HD; but I no see any REAL HD.
An information: into the browser, if I click on "?" and set Help on the menu, it give me an error like "file... not found"
Another question: if, for example, I have only one CD-DVD reader/burner, if I am using the pre-installed XP on a CD, can I burn another CD?

#37 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

Testing the pre-installation in the QEMU emulator I no see any HD: I no see the SATA PC HD and I no see the external connected USB HD.
I don't know the name of the Explorer substitute then I right click on the desktop and set "Add new folder"; after this I click on the folder and the browser opens; into that browser I no see any HD over the virtual HD; but I no see any REAL HD.

That is correct!
The emulator sees only its virtual world, not the real host's world.

The host's hdd can be seen only if you boot from burned CD.
(You should read answers a bit more careful :)
I already wrote this in post #11)

Peter

#38 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

And where is "save base"?

savebase.png
But please, don't select and deselect scripts under 'Basic' unless you know what those actions entail.

in the left panel "DPs Mass storage Drivers" is set and "SATA drivers" is deselected.

Yep, good, that's what we want.

During the pre-installation XP building the new DPs drivers are correctly builded into the pre-istalled XP without error.

good.

This is not a test at all unless you test in vmware and have a scsi disk enabled. Like Peter has said, you need to burn the cd and test on real hardware.

Regards,
Galapo.

#39 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:44 AM

savebase.png
But please, don't select and deselect scripts under 'Basic' unless you know what those actions entail.

Yep, good, that's what we want.

good.

This is not a test at all unless you test in vmware and have a scsi disk enabled. Like Peter has said, you need to burn the cd and test on real hardware.

Regards,
Galapo.

:-)
OK sorry you have reaseon I'm a newbie :-)
Now I can try to burn.
What is the name of the Explorer browser substitute in the pre-installed XP?
Is there a procedure to install a non standard program? For example is possible install a new program in QEMU for burn that program in the pre-installed Operative System? Or there are another procedure (much complicate, obviously... ) :-)
Can you tell me where I can find a manual to learn how to use well WinBuilder?
Thanks

#40 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

What is the name of the Explorer browser substitute in the pre-installed XP?

There shouldn't be any substitute as you should have explorer as shell and consequently as filemanager.

Is there a procedure to install a non standard program? For example is possible install a new program in QEMU for burn that program in the pre-installed Operative System?

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're asking.

Regards,
Galapo.

#41 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

There shouldn't be any substitute as you should have explorer as shell and consequently as filemanager.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're asking.

Regards,
Galapo.

First question:
If there is not a browser like Explorer, how is possible if I right-click on destop and select "Add folder", an after I left-click on that folder, a browser opens? What is the name of the browser that opens in that case?

Second question:
For example if I want use TrueCrypt in the pre-installed XP, how I can install it? Can I install it in QEMU and after burning the CD I will find TrueCrypt using the pre-installed XP? Or is necessary a much complicate procedure... or is not possible?
I used TruCryp name like a general program name, not only because I need it; I need a procedure to add any program to the pre-installed XP (if is possible...).

Third question:
I searched a manual in this site an using a search engine but i've found nothing about; I found only some instruction in this site; is there a manual to learn how to use wel WinBuilder, without need to ask you for everything?

#42 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

First question:
If there is not a browser like Explorer, how is possible if I right-click on destop and select "Add folder", an after I left-click on that folder, a browser opens? What is the name of the browser that opens in that case?

Second question:
For example if I want use TrueCrypt in the pre-installed XP, how I can install it? Can I install it in QEMU and after burning the CD I will find TrueCrypt using the pre-installed XP? Or is necessary a much complicate procedure... or is not possible?
I used TruCryp name like a general program name, not only because I need it; I need a procedure to add any program to the pre-installed XP (if is possible...).

Third question:
I searched a manual in this site an using a search engine but i've found nothing about; I found only some instruction in this site; is there a manual to learn how to use wel WinBuilder, without need to ask you for everything?

#1 The 'Desktop' is part of the shell, in this case of Explorer. The 'Right Click' and 'Left Click' behaviour (if there is one) depends on the shell.
If you use a different shell, everything may be different.

#2 There is no 'preinstalled' XP. There exist some collections of scripts, bound together in a Project.
You add any app by adding it's script to the project.
You usually can copy a script from one project into a different one (Thanks Pedro for his API, which makes a lot of things project-independent)
If a script for your app does not exist, you have to write it by yourself.
Here also Pedro wrote a great tool which can help in most cases. Search for 'MakeScript'

#3 That is the lack here. Unfortunatelly developers (like me) never have time for a suitable documentation. Sorry!
But some good articles exist. Have a look into the tutorials and into the Wiki.

Peter

#43 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

First question:

As peter has said, it is there because you have a shell enabled. If you haven't deviated from the default, this will be explorer. Or are you meaning 'Internet Exporer' substitute? That is a different question entirely.

Second question:

If you have a writable system drive due to either file-based write filter or BootSDI script then you may be able to install a program 'on-the-fly'. Otherwise, you will need to write a script for it to include in the project.

Regards,
Galapo.

#44 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

As peter has said, it is there because you have a shell enabled. If you haven't deviated from the default, this will be explorer. Or are you meaning 'Internet Exporer' substitute? That is a different question entirely.

If you have a writable system drive due to either file-based write filter or BootSDI script then you may be able to install a program 'on-the-fly'. Otherwise, you will need to write a script for it to include in the project.

Regards,
Galapo.

I meaning "Explorer", not "Internet Explorer"; your anwer is clear; if I want open the system browser how I can make it?
Now I'm dowloading some script I think will be useful; If I see that script is for Vista can I copy it into Live XP project too?

#45 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

Sorry if I spend a few italian words in this thread.
[begin italian]
Archimede,
scusami se mi permetto, ma così non va, stai facendo confusione fra l'applicazione, Winbuilder, i progetti principali (Native_Ex, LiveXP, VistaPE) e gli .script accessori, e commettendo il tipico errore del neofita, l'entusiasmo ti fa fare troppe cose tutte insieme, in questo caso si applica il proverbio "Chi troppo vuole nulla stringe", le regole di buonsenso sono:
1) Usa sempre uno ed un solo progetto
2) Usa sempre e solo gli .script che sono stati pubblicati per quel progetto
3) Non mescolare MAI, per NESSUN motivo, .script appartenenti a progetti diversi, a meno che qualche membro più esperto te lo consigli esplicitamente
4) Comincia a provare builds con il MINOR numero possibile di .script attivati
5) Dopo che la build funziona, e SOLO allora, aggiungi uno od un limitato numero di .scripts
6) Prova a ricreare la build, se funziona, torna al punto 5) ed aggiungi qualcos'altro

Dopo e soltanto DOPO che sarai diventato pratico, potrai provare, SEMPRE UNO ALLA VOLTA, ad aggiungere qualche altro .script proveniente da un altro progetto.
Cerca sempre, PRIMA di provare uno .script, se esiste nel forum un argomento specifico e, se hai qualche dubbio, esprimilo lì.
[/end italian]

That equates, very roughly in English to:

Archimede, take it easy man. :)
You are making some confusion between the main app, Winbuilder, the main projects (Native_Ex, LiveXP, VistaPE) and other "add-on" .scripts.
You are doing the typical mistake of the newbie, trying everything at the same time and together.
Common sense advice in this cases:
1) Only use one and only one project at a time
2) Only use the .scripts published for that project
3) Never mix, for any reason, .scripts from different projects, unless explicitly advised to do so by a more experienced member
4) Try builds with the least possible active .scripts
5) After the huild has been tested as working, and only then, add one or a few other .scripts
6) Test the build and, if it works, loop to 5) and try adding something more

After, and only after, you will have got the hang of it, you can start trying, always one at a time, some other .script coming from another project.
Always search, before trying adding a new .script on the forum for a related thread and, if you have any doubt post it there.

jaclaz

#46 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

Sorry if I spend a few italian words in this thread.
[begin italian]
Archimede,
scusami se mi permetto, ma così non va, stai facendo confusione fra l'applicazione, Winbuilder, i progetti principali (Native_Ex, LiveXP, VistaPE) e gli .script accessori, e commettendo il tipico errore del neofita, l'entusiasmo ti fa fare troppe cose tutte insieme, in questo caso si applica il proverbio "Chi troppo vuole nulla stringe", le regole di buonsenso sono:
1) Usa sempre uno ed un solo progetto
2) Usa sempre e solo gli .script che sono stati pubblicati per quel progetto
3) Non mescolare MAI, per NESSUN motivo, .script appartenenti a progetti diversi, a meno che qualche membro più esperto te lo consigli esplicitamente
4) Comincia a provare builds con il MINOR numero possibile di .script attivati
5) Dopo che la build funziona, e SOLO allora, aggiungi uno od un limitato numero di .scripts
6) Prova a ricreare la build, se funziona, torna al punto 5) ed aggiungi qualcos'altro

Dopo e soltanto DOPO che sarai diventato pratico, potrai provare, SEMPRE UNO ALLA VOLTA, ad aggiungere qualche altro .script proveniente da un altro progetto.
Cerca sempre, PRIMA di provare uno .script, se esiste nel forum un argomento specifico e, se hai qualche dubbio, esprimilo lì.
[/end italian]

That equates, very roughly in English to:

jaclaz

sorry :-(
I red before that almost all scripts is possible to use in a project or in another project... surely I mistaked sorry... But now I am using only one script, Free Commander, but I think I will remove it next time and I will use only the standard scripts.
I asked for a manual but the answer was that a manual not exist, then is very difficult for me to understand well all... sorry for my ignorance.
I am asking many things (and many things without sense) because I can't study this very incredible (and very complicate) program; I understand that for very able softwarist can be not agreeable to answare to banal questions but the all yours answares was very helpful for me.
Now I made a new build (always the same project, XP Live CD) and it seem good; I have obtained a strange small error that I not understand; that error is in the attachment.
This pre-installed XP allow to see all HD (local and USB HD) then is good for me because I need that for safety in case of very hard Operative System problem, for allow me start PC and access to HD for save data.
At the boot it give me this pop-up window:
"Start network support now?"
I click on "Yes" and it answare me with thi error:
"No network cards detected. Program will be exit now"
The operative system works well but is not possible to access Internet.
If I go in Device Manager (with the normal installed XP) I see these Network cards:
1394 Net Adapter
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network connection
Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Thank you for your patience

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   2.74MB   815 downloads

#47 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Now I made a new build (always the same project, XP Live CD) and it seem good; I have obtained a strange small error that I not understand; that error is in the attachment.

The error is due to the fact that you included a VistaPE script which is not compatible to the nativeEx world.

Peter

#48 archimede

archimede

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

The error is due to the fact that you included a VistaPE script which is not compatible to the nativeEx world.

Peter

OK.
When I start a new script, what is the difference if I select other script too or if I select only the script that I launch?
Can you answer me about the other error described above?

#49 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

OK.
When I start a new script, what is the difference if I select other script too or if I select only the script that I launch?
Can you answer me about the other error described above?

I do not understand your question #1

#2: You added a VistaPE script 'FreeCommander' to a nativeEx based project. In most cases that brings troubles.

Peter

#50 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

I meaning "Explorer", not "Internet Explorer"; your anwer is clear; if I want open the system browser how I can make it?

You do not need to make it -- as I've said a couple of times before, it is built in if you are using the default shell, namely Explorer.

Now I'm dowloading some script I think will be useful; If I see that script is for Vista can I copy it into Live XP project too?

This is not advised unless the script is an app script with commands supported by the LiveXP api and the program itself is compatible with XP/2k3. You would need to test and see if it works and if it doesn't you will need to modify the script for suitability outside VistaPE.

Regards,
Galapo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users