Photo
- - - - -

Which should I learn and use? BartPE, LiveXP, Win7PE, WinPE 3.0. Noob trying to learn.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 fmbOOtfan

fmbOOtfan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Last time I checked it was all clear, still looking pretty good: http://virusscan.jot...77c0830b86e9faf

424KB ISO would be a really lite build ;) , unfortunately, too lite. What Wonko said...

Thank you very much amalux. I have confirmed the file is being falsely tagged as suspicious by some scanners. Will read through your tutorial and continue my tests. I figured 424K wasn't a reasonable sized ISO since you mentioned that 37MB was fairly small... Something must've gone wrong with the build which I need to investigate.

#27 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

There are too many PE and I don't exactly know which to choose or 'master' on using BartPE, LiveXP, Win7PE, WinPE 3.0.

In reply to your original Post #1. My vote would be WinPE 3. My reasons are:

1. XP is hard to get to work on modern AHCI and SATA systems without adding extra drivers and does not work with USB drives as boot devices without a lot of tweaking.
2. XP drivers will no longer be available from manufacturers for new h/w platforms
3. Vista drivers will no longer be available from manufacturers for new h/w platforms
4. WinPE 3 supports most 'old' h/w with built in drivers. Extra drivers can be easily added.
5. WinPE 3 is fully supported by MS and used by OEMs for factory OS installation and testing

re. drivers, I am already seeing OEMs not providing Vista drivers for new h/w. Why would they when Win7 is the shipping OS? XP is still used in the corporate world and so, at least in 'office' systems, XP drivers may be available for at least a year or so for new h/w - but on consumers devices (e.g. netbooks) I also see them dropping XP support. This just leaves us with Win 7 drivers - unless someone starts writing XP drivers in their spare time (XPinux group anyone???).

So you could spend months getting to grips with XP based OS's and spend a while getting to know all of the workarounds, only to find you cannot get it to work on new h/w. What about new hardware features like USB3, removal of GateA20 in new Intel chipsets, new SSD drives and TRIM function, EFI, multi-touch, etc. on XP - how easy will it be to add support for these???

discuss... ;)

#28 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

I boot new computers with the latest hw everyday with pe1x (livexp) and haven't run into any of these limitations you mention. Though I have pe3 at hand, I usually prefer to stick with 1x for speed and ease of use. These concerns are more applicable to full OS (host) installs but even there, XP works fine if you supply the SATA drivers (easy) and I still prefer XP in most cases. Win 7 is OK on a new fast computer but I still prefer pe1x to do repairs, restore images etc. I suppose there might be some new hw that livexp can't support but I'm not sure it's as problematic as you make it seem. There may come a time when XP/LiveXP becomes obsolete but we're a long way from that yet ;)

#29 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:34 AM

There may come a time when XP/LiveXP becomes obsolete but we're a long way from that yet ;)

That time may well be next year. Manufacturers are not producing drivers for Vista now for some h/w platforms. XP drivers are still available for new h/w this year, but next year I can see a few chipsets coming out where they will just not be available, esp. netbooks and servers. When you cannot get XP drivers for some chipsets, NICs, wireless cards and graphics cards, what will you do?

#30 vazurahan

vazurahan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:59 AM

Thanks amalux and steve for those insights.

Right now BartPE is getting the job done.

I think I'll go for WIN PE 3.0 for my next Boot Disk.

#31 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:51 AM

...what will you do?

In those cases I might need to use my pe3 but I think 'older' computers will be around for more than a year ;)

:)

#32 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

First, Avira reports that DrvImpe.exe is a Trojan. I've figured out this is a Driver Importer for PE, but not sure whether this file is truly infected or just a false positive given it's function & signature. I do not want to proceed testing this build on my real hardware until I know for sure.

DrvImpe.exe is "Goodware"?
http://www.virustota...6d15-1282554252

#33 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

Makes one question the efficacy of virus scanners :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users