69 replies to this topic

#26 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

OK, the easiest thing to do is to remake your project, but include 'AutoIt Support' which lives in the Build section. This will give you the shellproc.au3 file that you can use to add the command to start the shortcut generator.

Because you use Winbuilder exclusively, what you are going to have to do is run the last few scripts manually. In Winbuilder, un-select everything from '2 Create Image' which lives in the Finish section (but make sure you remember which ones you had selected). Then do a run thru with Winbuilder and it will stop at the point where we un-selected the scripts. Then do a search in your build folder for shellproc.au3, edit it as i've shown above, save it, insert the shortcut generator exe into the system32 folder, and then we continue with Winbuilder. To run each of the remaining scripts you previously had selected, select each script one at a time and then press the small green triangle Start button in the right side pane (the tooltip should say 'Play') to run the currently selected script. This will run the script as if it was still doing the normal run so all temp files are still there and variables set.

and that's it! Let me know how it all goes.

Sop.

#27 Aviad Raviv

Aviad Raviv
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:11 AM

1 problem and 1 sugestion...

the problem was, when i use the Z: driver letter ppApps just doesnt find the INI file....

sugestion... the error states that it cant find the cd/dvd drive... well both my boot methods dont use a "CD"... i PXE and USB boot... so mayb u should say couldnt find the apps directory or somthing to that affect ?

#28 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

OK, the easiest thing to do is to remake your project, but include 'AutoIt Support' which lives in the Build section. This will give you the shellproc.au3 file that you can use to add the command to start the shortcut generator.

Because you use Winbuilder exclusively, what you are going to have to do is run the last few scripts manually. In Winbuilder, un-select everything from '2 Create Image' which lives in the Finish section (but make sure you remember which ones you had selected). Then do a run thru with Winbuilder and it will stop at the point where we un-selected the scripts. Then do a search in your build folder for shellproc.au3, edit it as i've shown above, save it, insert the shortcut generator exe into the system32 folder, and then we continue with Winbuilder. To run each of the remaining scripts you previously had selected, select each script one at a time and then press the small green triangle Start button in the right side pane (the tooltip should say 'Play') to run the currently selected script. This will run the script as if it was still doing the normal run so all temp files are still there and variables set.

and that's it! Let me know how it all goes.

Sop.

Mmmm.....sorry but I cannot find any shellproc.au3 file in build folder
I downloaded lx101408mx.exe, extracted all files ,opened winbuilder and selected autoit and unselected everything from "2 create image".
At the end I find autoit in C:\lx101408mx\Target\LiveXP\i386\System32 so it has been installed correctly but if I search in lx101408mx folder shellproc.au3 I cannot find anything.....

With search in my windows xp choosing "folder lx101408mx" and "shell" as key i find :

Posted Image

However i don't want you waste your time for me....so I'll try to use program's scripts to insert them in my live xp

#29 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

I' ve done a little script to have a startup run entry for the ppAppsGenPE.exe file.
So now i can use your program...but I've a little problem : if I use for example Dtemp you use as an example...program is active after boot but any folder called "diagnostic" has been added ...

Could I have this problem because I've made an italian ,non english, version of live xp....and there's some problems with your application?

#30 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:20 AM

I' ve done a little script to have a startup run entry for the ppAppsGenPE.exe file.
So now i can use your program...but I've a little problem : if I use for example Dtemp you use as an example...program is active after boot but any folder called "diagnostic" has been added ...

Could I have this problem because I've made an italian ,non english, version of live xp....and there's some problems with your application?

Ooops! The ppApp.ini file is not totally correct. The ppAppsGenPE utility actually does a few more things than i've indicated. There are 2 places we need to put the place where we want the shortcut to live.

<StartMenuDestPath>

<leave this line blank>

Diagnostic

<StartMenuSourcePath>

Diagnostic

I only added one of them in. Please add the other one and it should work. Using the above example, the shortcut will be placed in: Start Menu -> Programs -> Diagnostic

Hope this helps!
Sop.

#31 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

Dear,

I'm no spoiling this GOOD stuff but just suggestion to use Portable Start Menu instead as a lazy person. :)
You can get it now, here.

Regards,

yahooUK

#32 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Ooops! The ppApp.ini file is not totally correct. The ppAppsGenPE utility actually does a few more things than i've indicated. There are 2 places we need to put the place where we want the shortcut to live.

<StartMenuDestPath>

<leave this line blank>

Diagnostic

<StartMenuSourcePath>

Diagnostic

I only added one of them in. Please add the other one and it should work. Using the above example, the shortcut will be placed in: Start Menu -> Programs -> Diagnostic

Hope this helps!
Sop.

Yes now it's all ok

The only thing is that your versione was created for english live xp
Infact in my livexp I see in start menu both a folder "programmi" (italian for programs) with all programs and italian folder installed with winbuilder and above another folder called "programs" created by your program with only diagnostic folder and dtemp inside......
Probably the best solution should be to add to file .ini for every program even possibility to change name of folder program so if I made a live xp in a language different from english I wouldn't have any problem......

However thanks a lot for your help

Dear,

I'm no spoiling this GOOD stuff but just suggestion to use Portable Start Menu instead as a lazy person. :)
You can get it now, here.

Regards,

yahooUK

Yes your solution is the best...but I was curious and i wanted to understand how to use correctly this program

Bye

#33 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:07 AM

Hi there,

I'm making a new version that hopefully will be more language friendly -- there are still some hard-coded things -- also, i will be releasing the AutoIT code so you can change it yourself.

Also, i am making a version that adds all shortcuts into a special folder for when you want to use the included apps on a normal XP machine. Stay tuned...

#34 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Also, i am making a version that adds all shortcuts into a special folder for when you want to use the included apps on a normal XP machine. Stay tuned...

:cheers:

#35 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:00 AM

Will you also be making the winbuilder script brought up earlier?

Tried it with Winbuilder 76 but I dont see shortcuts created. It said it finished 1 app but I dont see the shortcut.

#36 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

No news about next versione of this program??? :good:

#37 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:12 PM

hey there,

sorry i've left this alone, i am currently working on this as part of a bigger project and when its all working well, i'll post the new version. Hopefully soonish!

sop.

#38 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

Hey there soporific ^_^

Having recently discovered the joys of portables in PE (see the bottom sections of the tutorial here), I'm adding a section on ppAppsGenPE! I think I've worked out most of it but have a couple questions still and I'd appreciate your help ^_^

First, I'm not using the exe exactly as you suggest, I want the 'ppApps' package to be (optionally) independent of the boot disk i.e. the portable apps can co-exist on the same boot media (UFD/DVD whatever) but can also reside on a separate UFD/HDD etc. (if the advantages aren't obvious, let me know and I'll explain). I have successfully done this but with some unexpected results, the sample ppApp.inf you give has the following text:
<StartMenuDestPath>

Diagnostic
this does not work for me (no shortcuts created in PE Start menu), I have to use StartMenuSourcePath to get the desired result, not a problem (or is it?); just seems odd. Also removed the ... line, what is that supposed to do? Here's a typical example that's working well for me,
<Title>

010HexEditor

<Flags>

MakeStart = 1

MakeDesktop = 0

MakeQuickLaunch = 0

<StartMenuSourcePath>

FileTools\HexEditors

<ppApp>

CommandLine = &#34;010HexEditor_SFX.exe&#34;

ShortcutName = &#34;010 HexEditor 2.01&#34;

Description = &#34;010 HexEditor is a hex editor&#34;

<End>
any unforeseen issues?

I'm not using the ssWPICD.ini tag, it doesn't seem to do anything under the conditions described; I guess only for use if ppApps are located on boot CD/DVD? I do get a little pop-up when ppA--.exe first starts, 'Can't find your CD drive, so will enable system drive'. System drive is what we want, on a BootSDI LiveXP, there is no 'RAM drive' like with IMDisk (usually B:), the whole image is loaded (in RAM) on X: so ppA--.exe is found on the system drive in X:\i386\System32. The pop-up isn't really a problem (only takes a second or two to re-direct) but would be nice if there could be a switch. Frankly, I'm not sure how it's finding my ppApps folder without a tag but hey, whatever works; it's a great tool and a welcome alternative to the (also very nice) ASuite type launchers, options are good :good:

^_^

#39 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hey there soporific ^_^
:good:

Hey there ... well, i better get my poop together and do these things:

* post the new version pronto
* post the new example INI
* provide much explanation
* provide the source code for ppAppsGenPE !!!!

I am trying to get a project out the door tonight, and i promise, i promise from the bottom of heart that i will prioritize the above to get it ready by Sunday night cause if i don't that's another week. Stay tuned...

#40 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hey there ... well, i better get my poop together and do these things:

* post the new version pronto
* post the new example INI
* provide much explanation
* provide the source code for ppAppsGenPE !!!!

I am trying to get a project out the door tonight, and i promise, i promise from the bottom of heart that i will prioritize the above to get it ready by Sunday night cause if i don't that's another week. Stay tuned...

:good:

#41 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

Sorry for being late, am getting it done tonight, promise!

#42 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Sorry for being late, am getting it done tonight, promise!

No need for sorry, thank you very much for all your efforts on this! Looking forward to results - let me know if there's anything I can do to help :good:

#43 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

hey there -- i got most of it done, it was a good process to do because i learnt a lot (this is someone else's work) ... it just needs about 60 mins more work but i gotta get some sleep. I have an explanations file written, and a new example INI ... coming soon :good:

edit: the application is written in AutoIT so if you are a fan, look out for the source code which is also coming soon (tomorrow, promise)

#44 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

ok, the new version is available -- please see the first post for all the details. Source code .... yum

#45 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

ok, the new version is available -- please see the first post for all the details. Source code .... yum

Very cool!! :good:

Thanks for the new version and SC, I'll look soon and be back with questions... ^_^

#46 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Thank you soporific for ppAppsGenPE shortcuts generator

for similar reason i used a very similar solution long time ago for a portable utility pack, i feel i will use ppAppsGenPE in future too when "my migration status" changed to "settle down status" :good:

CU

#47 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:32 AM

Finally updated here under 'Adding Portable Apps to LiveXP' - Thanks again for ppAppsGenPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! :)

#48 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Finally updated here under 'Adding Portable Apps to LiveXP' - Thanks again for ppAppsGenPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! :)

Hi amalux i've a question about your script to use ppappgenPe:everything works perfectly but i don't understand the section "add portable apps support file":when it should be used and for what?
It wouldn't be better to include a section to save for example folder ppApps, with all files auch as programs and ppapp.ini, in root cd?

thanks

#49 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi amalux i've a question about your script to use ppappgenPe:everything works perfectly but i don't understand the section "add portable apps support file":when it should be used and for what?
It wouldn't be better to include a section to save for example folder ppApps, with all files auch as programs and ppapp.ini, in root cd?

thanks

Hey megaborg :)

Glad it's working for ya :) - The section allows for adding files required by some apps in PE's system32 (registered), just putting the files in app's folder wouldn't work here (well, you could import it with a cmd file I guess). This method is most useful when a number of different apps require the same treatment of a file or files. When I added the section, I thought there would be more situations like this but it's a work in progress; I'm still testing through many new portable apps and things may change in version 03 :)

#50 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

Hi soporific :D

Still loving ppApps! Thank you again for this great way to use portables in PE! :D

A couple questions, is there a way to use ppApp.ini to create a scut to a file on the system (X:) rather than local in ppApps? My experiments have failed but maybe sth simple I'm missing?? Any example would be great! I'm looking for a way to import/extract to %ProgramFiles% (that part's easy) and create a scut to the new program in the start menu. Also, how can I assign a different icon to any new shortcut created by ppAppsGenPE? Any help appreciated, thanks again man ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users