was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

@Medevil
Actually you are "censoring" Alexei's mind.

He expressed an opinion, which you may like or not, no need to to use 4 letter words.

jaclaz

#27 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

Ohhh please! You can't be serious, jaclaz.
Are you even listening to what you say?

:cheers:

#28 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

@Medevil
Actually you are "censoring" Alexei's mind.

He expressed an opinion, which you may like or not, no need to to use 4 letter words.

jaclaz

I will use this rare opportunity to agree with jaclaz! :cheers:

#29 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

I think AllanF and Jaclaz described the "backwards" aspect perfectly. Much better than I could (I've forgotten all the German I learned in high school :cheers: ) German isn't backwards as in not as advanced. English is much more a patchwork of borrowed words and rules.

PSC definitely hit on some of the complexity of Japanese. Not only can the whole meaning of the sentence change at the very end but alot of Japanese is unspoken. If you don't pick up the non-verbal queues you might think you've won a contract, but in reality they'll never return your calls :cheers:

As for anyone finding offense in this topic, I'd say keeping an open mind is key. We seem to be young at heart here and creative. Most good programmers are like that. Now, in any other forum I'd suggest Super Mods with Extra Strength Duct Tape to silence the masses :cheers:

I believe that until you've made an ass out of yourself you can never truly learn to be respectful. I think many of our members have already learned this lesson (including me).

UPDATE: What I mean is, I think (from my experience in the forum) that we each understand the line between free speech and just being a butt-monkey.

#30 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

I believe that until you've made an ass out of yourself you can never truly learn to be respectful. I think many of our members have already learned this lesson (including me).

MoonGoon i don't know if you agree with me, but respectfulness and PC are two completely different things.
Respectfulness comes from respecting someone and that comes from deep within and can't be ordered. Eighter someone earns your respect or he doesn't, periode.

PC on the other hand is a muzzle, it's designed to reduce verbal conflicts.
Sounds good doesn't it?
Well the problem is, if people stop saying certain thing, they're for sure not stopping thinking them. In fact, people usually get obsessed about things they don't get verbally out of their system.

Even worst for me as manager is, that if people no longer speak their mind, i can't see trouble arising and do something about it.
What usually happens is that, out of the blue without any previous warnings someone 'explodes' and creates a smaller or bigger catastrophy.

Imo, people are all like little tea pots standing on a stove. The heat turns the water into steam and the steam creates pressure. If the pressure gets too high, the little tea pot starts to whistle and releases by this some internal pressure.
Now comes PC and says, no more whisteling, that may annoys others and solders the little teapots shut.
Success, all the little tea pots are now beautifly silent, but since they can't release pressure anmore they tend now to blow up every now and then!

What a success for peaceful living! Instead of some harmless whisteling, we have now timebombs!

And if you don't believe in teapots exploding left and right from you, watch the news, they are full of it.

#31 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

@Medevil

I beg your pardon, but I cannot understand, what do you mean by the acronym "PC"? :cheers:

jaclaz

#32 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:28 PM

@Medevil

I beg your pardon, but I cannot understand, what do you mean by the acronym "PC"? :cheers:

jaclaz

@all

And after MedEvil gave the explanation, you all can do me a big favour:

Stop the current OFFTOPIC 'ethical' discussion and come back INTOPIC.

Peter

EDIT: I accept Alexei's first concerns (I spite I know him as sarcastic, ironic and having some more 'confrontating' attributes :cheers: ).
On the other hand, in this case my opinion does not match Alexei's opinion. It is really a question to the whole outer world, and in the question (n my opinion) there is nothing that may hurt somebody else.
But please, no more discussion here!

Peter

#33 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

P olitical
C orrectness

#34 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:38 PM

So, "It's Greek to me" turns into "It's Chinese to me" which turns into "It is a book from Heaven for me" ..and we can't go any farther there :cheers:

But I see "can't understand Hieroglyphic" may have a further link to explore: What would an Egyptian say?

Furthermore, if we eventually get to "It's English to me" does that mean the whole world has a serious communication problem?!? :cheers:

#35 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

But I see "can't understand Hieroglyphic" may have a further link to explore: What would an Egyptian say?

Yep that would still be interesting. Also what some isolated tribes have to say to the topic.

Furthermore, if we eventually get to "It's English to me" does that mean the whole world has a serious communication problem?!? :cheers:

Nobody will ever say that's english to me, that's much to obvious! :cheers:

#36 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:58 AM

So, "It's Greek to me" turns into "It's Chinese to me" which turns into "It is a book from Heaven for me" ..and we can't go any farther there :cheers:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#37 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

I have a GREAT find for you all :cheers::
Official evidence (transcript from a trial), where a Native Greek used the now (in)famous sentence "it's English to me":

>From John Phillip Mustachio of Houston, this excerpt from the trial
testimony of the plaintiff, whose first language is Greek.

Q. What I'm trying to do, Mr. Emmanonil, is to show that you have quite a
bit of experience in owning and operating real estate, do you not?
A. No. The only one experience I have is just to - to know how is the
valuable of the land is going to go up or down. That's I'm good only. But
legal phrase like this one, I'm zero. Like I say earlier, I have gift know
when is good piece of land or not. The rest of this stuff it's English to me.

Reference:
http://legalminds.lp...l/msg00203.html

jaclaz

#38 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:15 AM

Ain't that something? :cheers:

The rest of the page is fun too:

CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT
>From Edward E. DeWees, Jr. of
San Antonio (Dewees & Spence), this excerpt from the sentencing of his
client in County Court at Law No.6 - in which the judge, after giving the
defendant 15 days in jail, granted Edward's request for home confinement
with electronic monitoring. But then ...
Judge: You stated that the only telephone that you had access to was at
your ex-mother-in-law's house where you stay occasionally. You have to be
near a telephone at all times when you're on electronic monitoring. You,
therefore, have a choice of staying with your ex-mother-in-law for 15 days,
or to stay in jail. Which one do you want to do?
Defendant: I'd rather be in jail for 15 days than with my
ex-mother-in-law for 15 days.

#39 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

I have a GREAT find for you all :cheers::
Official evidence (transcript from a trial), where a Native Greek used the now (in)famous sentence "it's English to me":

Nice find! :cheers:

#40 Doctor xp

Doctor xp
  • Developer
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

Well ... Here in Egypt we don't say sounds "Hieroglyphic to me" because actually the Hieroglyphic language was not a spoken language .... it was only a written language .... and the phonetic language didn't survive ..... so we don't actually know how it was pronounced.

In Egypt we say "Are you speaking lawendy" إنت بتتكلم لاوندي؟

That lawendy language is most probably the language of nubeian people (who live in the southern parts of Egypt .... and are more to Sudanese people than to native Egyptians).
That lawndy language is spoken very fast .... its phonetics are more like the Arabic language .... so you need some time to understand that is not Arabic and that its really too fast to be understandable.

One funny story about the lawndy thing is that it was really used as the official communication language in the Egyptian army in the 1973 war .... they employed all the nubian people in the army as communication officers .... so they started to communicate with their native language (which has no written equivalent and is not used with strangers by their native speakers) ...... it actually created a hell of a cryptography machine that was deciphered too late in the war.

#41 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

Very informative post Doctor xp!
Now we need to know, what a Nubian says! :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users