• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

Hi Amalux!

Nice that it is working for you now.

But I'm not satisfied.
If you look into my 'generals' at the bottom of my post, that's only a selection of my most important rules.

There is another one not mentioned:

I do not like if everything is working well, and nobody knows, why.

Therefore, if you agree, and have the time, let's find what's going wrong with your project.
That's surely will bring some benefits for the whole WinBuilder project.

Peter

BTW:
If you do not want to spend any more time on this -I could understand-: Is it possible, to zip your complete project and e-mail me?
I do not know your bandwith, so some MB already may become a problem.

I'm more than happy to continue, I just didn't want to 'beat a dead horse' :cheers:

So, lets go, what do you need me to try next?

#27 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

I'm more than happy to continue, I just didn't want to 'beat a dead horse' :cheers:

So, lets go, what do you need me to try next?

Let's continue tomorrow.
My time is now nearly 8.00 PM and then I'm starting to relax.
Maybe I look into the forum until 11.00, but I try to avoid thinking then.

BTW: I see you with some break nearly all the day.

Do you live on the moon with different times?
I remember your :cheers: in 'myNIC'

(From a statistical result of all the times I remember to have seen you here, I assume: Anywhere between Irkutsk and Australia. Hot, Warm, or Cold?)

Peter

#28 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

Let's continue tomorrow.
Maybe I look into the forum until 11.00, but I try to avoid thinking then.

BTW: I see you with some break nearly all the day.

Do you live on the moon with different times?
I remember your :cheers: in 'myNIC'

(From a statistical result of all the times I remember to have seen you here, I assume: Anywhere between Irkutsk and Australia. Hot, Warm, or Cold?)

Peter

Yes! I live on the moon and it's very nice here this time of year :cheers:

No, actually, I'm here in California, USA (stranger than the moon!) and I'm a freelance computer tech who works very odd hours! It's not unusual for me to pull 'all nighters' and I like to check in on the forum while I'm taking my breaks. I'm also a full time dad raising two wonderful kids (the 2 year old isn't always wonderful :cheers: ) so, I've got my hands full right now. Let's see, you're getting ready for bed about the time I'm making lunch for the kids, got it. Have a good nights sleep buddy and we'll pick it up again tomorrow :cheers:

:cheers:

#29 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

You're right - it's a big timetable difference - I also notice how different members appear at very distinct times.

I use this desktop app to help me know the position of the sun around the globe: http://www.codefromt...topearth_dl.asp

btw: California wine is popular around here. :cheers:

#30 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:42 AM

You're right - it's a big timetable difference - I also notice how different members appear at very distinct times.

I use this desktop app to help me know the position of the sun around the globe: http://www.codefromt...topearth_dl.asp

btw: California wine is popular around here. :cheers:

That is a very cool desktop app! Thanks Nuno! :cheers:

Yeah, It's pretty popular around here too! I hope theres some grapes left after all these fires were having :cheers: . I prefer the non-alcoholic variety these days (don't like those bad headaches in the morning :cheers:

#31 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

I prefer the non-alcoholic variety these days (don't like those bad headaches in the morning :cheers:

You should really consider switching to wine that doesn't come in a plastic bottle or a tin can! :cheers:

#32 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

You should really consider switching to wine that doesn't come in a plastic bottle or a tin can! :cheers:

I only tried the stuff in the tin cans once! (I hope no one got pictures of me hanging off the balcony naked) but, seriously, the big plastic bottles don't break as easily when I fall over :cheers:

#33 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

That sounds familiar to me.. :cheers:

-> click <-

#34 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

That sounds familiar to me.. :cheers:

-> click <-

And I'll bet you thought you sounded good singing! :cheers:

That coastline is absolutely gorgeous! Makes me want to pack my bags and come visit :cheers: You seem really happy and it looks like a beautiful place to live; you're very lucky.

#35 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:55 AM

Let's continue tomorrow.
Maybe I look into the forum until 11.00, but I try to avoid thinking then...

Peter

Peter,

I know we got a bit side tracked on this; I'm really hoping to continue and figure this out :cheers:

I'm still having the same IE/HTML corruption occur every time I run WB072a to build a LiveXP project! My 'quick fix' of backing up and restoring the registry doesn't work 100% as changes differ with each run; even backing up the entire registry (or using System Restore) isn't adequate to undo all the problems. As confirmed with previous tests, the problem does not occur with NativeEx projects but only with LiveXP (which is the project I'm currently focused on) and occurs equally in minimum builds with no added scripts or tweaks of any kind i.e. clean, fresh - first run build with strict 'Minimum' download from only LiveXP server with no changes to default settings or added scripts. So, it seems this is an inherent issue with one of the downloaded scripts. My current 'solution' is to restore the entire partition using Ghost or PowerQuest after each run! This is annoying to say the least! Any help is appreciated.

#36 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:08 AM

Peter,

I know we got a bit side tracked on this; I'm really hoping to continue and figure this out :cheers:

I'm still having the same IE/HTML corruption occur every time I run WB072a to build a LiveXP project! My 'quick fix' of backing up and restoring the registry doesn't work 100% as changes differ with each run; even backing up the entire registry (or using System Restore) isn't adequate to undo all the problems. As confirmed with previous tests, the problem does not occur with NativeEx projects but only with LiveXP (which is the project I'm currently focused on) and occurs equally in minimum builds with no added scripts or tweaks of any kind i.e. clean, fresh - first run build with strict 'Minimum' download from only LiveXP server with no changes to default settings or added scripts. So, it seems this is an inherent issue with one of the downloaded scripts. My current 'solution' is to restore the entire partition using Ghost or PowerQuest after each run! This is annoying to say the least! Any help is appreciated.

Please do the following:
  • Restore the HTML status to 'working'
  • Save a registry part by 'reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile "<path of your choice>\before.reg"' (the semicolons are for clearness, but care with the quotes)
  • Download the fresh minimum LiveXP and ran it.
    (only change the path, nothing else)
  • If the HTML status is corrupted now:
    • Save the same registry part by 'reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile "<path of your choice>\after.reg"'
    • Post the two *.reg and the log
  • If the HTML status is not corrupted:
    • Step by step add scripts, until the corruption occurs.
    • Post the files like above and tell the script name when it happened.
BTW: You can use the before.reg file to repair your system just by doubleclick.

Peter

#37 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

Amalux, you could check your LiveXP project to pin down the source of your troubles.
I would go about it this way.
Search in the project scripts for trouble makers. You can use Windows search for that, but it's better to use an editor with a build in 'search in files' feature.

Search for '.reg' to see if any reg files exist in any of the scripts. If so, check the file for where it adds it's contents.

If that doesn't help, search for 'RegWrite' and check, if any entry may use one of the default HKLM branches.

#38 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

Amalux, you could check your LiveXP project to pin down the source of your troubles.
I would go about it this way.
Search in the project scripts for trouble makers. You can use Windows search for that, but it's better to use an editor with a build in 'search in files' feature.

Search for '.reg' to see if any reg files exist in any of the scripts. If so, check the file for where it adds it's contents.

If that doesn't help, search for 'RegWrite' and check, if any entry may use one of the default HKLM branches.

@Medevil:
All you suggest I tried w/o success. So Amalux should not try again.

But I have the opinion, that the OLESupport installation of shdocvw.dll has something to do with this issue.
I'm working on this.

@Amalux: As a first reaction, disable in Explorer.Script the option "Use DLL init at build time rather than at boot time"
That should help until I found a final solution.

Peter

#39 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

@Medevil:
All you suggest I tried w/o success. So Amalux should not try again.

Sorry, must have missed that part.

But I have the opinion, that the OLESupport installation of shdocvw.dll has something to do with this issue.
I'm working on this.

The whole working on hives while they are attached to my real registry always makes me nervous.
There's just no protection against catastrophys there.
Too bad Nunos little project didn't yield results.

Good luck! :cheers:

#40 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:57 PM

The whole working on hives while they are attached to my real registry always makes me nervous.
There's just no protection against catastrophys there.

Right! :cheers:
And if I find that the OLESupport really can change the user's registry remarkably, it will disappear (agreeing some more boot time)

Peter

#41 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

Please do the following:

• Save a registry part by 'reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile "<path of your choice>\before.reg"' (the semicolons are for clearness, but care with the quotes)
    • Save the same registry part by 'reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile "<path of your choice>\after.reg"'

Peter

Peter, Thank you!

Sorry for the slow response time; unfortunately very busy today but I'm running tests when I can and getting unexpected results! First, 'fresh, minimum LiveXP' and 'fresh, recommended LiveXP' do NOT cause same IE/HTML problem as before; they do, however, cause other (more subtle) changes that I'm still tracking down i.e. adding shared folders to My Computer and causing strange behaviour with my mouse (single click acts as double click sometimes and highlighting/selecting text is buggy and erratic etc.) I need more time to really get a feel for what's going on here; I will carefully try the steps you've suggested above and will report back when I know more...

I'm working on this.

@Amalux: As a first reaction, disable in Explorer.Script the option "Use DLL init at build time rather than at boot time"

I will try this as well... Thanks Peter :cheers:

#42 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

minimum LiveXP' and 'fresh, recommended LiveXP' do NOT cause same IE/HTML problem as before; they do, however, cause other (more subtle) changes that I'm still tracking down i.e. adding shared folders to My Computer and causing strange behaviour with my mouse (single click acts as double click sometimes and highlighting/selecting text is buggy and erratic etc.)

From the problems you have, it sounds more like you need a virus scanner or some exchanged hardware to fix it.

#43 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:00 AM

From the problems you have, it sounds more like you need a virus scanner or some exchanged hardware to fix it.

You would think so but this behaviour is reversable by means of drive image restore (eliminates HW) and repeatable by running WB072a to build LiveXP. It doesn't occur with other projects or LXP built using earlier versions of WB. BTW, what editor do you use; I'm not happy with the 'search inside document' performance of the one's I've tried :cheers:

#44 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

BTW, what editor do you use; I'm not happy with the 'search inside document' performance of the one's I've tried :cheers:

I use TextPad 4.7.3, very happy with it, except that it can't do a unicode text search in binary files.

PS: Have you ever thought about using RegSHot to track all Registry changes? Should be fairly easy.

#45 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:49 AM

Please do the following:

Peter

OK, finally I have a few minutes...

Here is the information you requested:
[attachment=3746:112607.rar]

No, you can't use the before.reg to undo the damage but I've included one that works created with ART; maybe there's some info in there that helps. Thanks Peter :cheers:

Next I will try the same test with Explorer.Scripts's "Use DLL init..." disabled.

#46 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

I'm working on this.

Peter

Good call Peter! Unchecking this Explorer.script option results in no change to htmlfile.reg! What is the cost here, how does unchecking this option affect the final project? Here's the before and after, same project, with this option unchecked:[attachment=3749:112607unchecked.rar]

Thanks again Peter :cheers:

@MedEvil

Thanks for the info on TextPad, looks nice ($32US! :cheers: ) I'm using ART (Elcom) and really like its create undo feature; still, it's best to correct the error before it happens :cheers:

#47 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

Good call Peter! Unchecking this Explorer.script option results in no change to htmlfile.reg! What is the cost here, how does unchecking this option affect the final project? Here's the before and after, same project, with this option unchecked:[attachment=3749:112607unchecked.rar]

Thanks again Peter :cheers:

@MedEvil

Thanks for the info on TextPad, looks nice ($32US! :cheers: ) I'm using ART (Elcom) and really like its create undo feature; still, it's best to correct the error before it happens :cheers:

You move the time of installing some DLLs from one time during build to every boot.

Peter

#48 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

@MedEvil

Thanks for the info on TextPad, looks nice ($32US! :cheers: )

Yes if you like it enough to buy, like me, than it's 32$. But it also works indefinitly without registration, you just have to learn to live with the nag screens then.

#49 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

Yes if you like it enough to buy, like me, than it's 32$. But it also works indefinitly without registration, you just have to learn to live with the nag screens then.

Before Jaclaz explains:

I think you mean 'infinitely' like 'unlimited'. :cheers:
Indefinitely is somethink like 'random', 'undefined' and that's really not what the user wants!

Peter :cheers:

BTW: I also have a registered version of textpad since (I cannot remember the ice age)

#50 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

Only $32 to get rid of those god awful nag screens! It's a bargain!! :cheers:

(and yes, I knew what you meant... but thanks Peter :cheers: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users