Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Booting VirtualBox with USB workaround

usb virtualbox grub4dos plop

Best Answer steve6375 , 26 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Is the Win7 64-bit or special in any way? Did you try an plain MS Win7 32-bit ISO extracted to a USB drive?

How about creating a virtual HDD, mounting the HDD, copying the USB stick to the virtual HDD, dismounting it, then boot from it via VBox?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#251 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

maybe .. VBox-USB-Controller or VBox-USB-Starter  .. or something ?

best regards

Blacky

#252 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

maybe .. VBox-USB-Controller or VBox-USB-Starter  .. or something ?

best regards

Blacky

Not so bad but one problem: although it's used mostly with VirtualBox, it works also with Qemu...

#253 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

eehhmm right.. Emusb-Controler *lol* Emulation USB Starter :) or QBox-USB-Starter or VEmu-USB-Starter

or maybe instead of "Starter" maybe "Controler" or "centre" .. maby can add other fitures and make it

as a 2nd VBox/QEmu Controling Center .. who support both .. an Gui for QEmu and a gui for VBox with enhancements ...

who can build by own configurations and works with plugins who can any writeing his own plugin for make it more enhanced / with Extension as plugins .. 

by side i have show

this interresting article :

http://reboot.pro/to...tall-xp-in-vhd/

inside it is the solver of the "XP boot from usb" problem and this should make as installer for easy copy on usb and install behind if it is install XP as usb-trubleshooter for booting on an usb-stick like usb-stick oooorrr.. usb-drive ;)..

can make anyone this as installer or "USB-XP-%placeholder-name%-Tools" ? *bG*

for easy start XP from USB ?  http://reboot.pro/fi...tall-xp-in-vhd/

a simply exe for installing the vblogdrivers (as support vor vhd-images for mounting ;) as hint) and install

the usb-XP booting fix + the usb-stragedrivers.. like i have see, be it regestry strings and an drivers, this maybe as

one single exe-installer file ? For copy on the next shutdown on the usb-stick or usb-hd and installing on an VBox/Qemu instance ? to enable XP it for booting this stick or usb-drive for booting with this XP

best regards

Blacky

Edited by Blackcrack, 12 July 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#254 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

1.2 Beta 6 version

LE: link removed, youcan find a better version in the next posts...
Changes:

Improvement: name changed to "Virtual Machine USB Boot". So far this seems to be the best name...
Improvement: since I implemented drag'n'drop in the list the Up/Down buttons are not so useful anymore so I moved them into the list context menu and assigned them Alt+Up/Down key combinations.
Improvement: added Options button + window where you can set a few general options.
Improvement: some settings for the entries were moved from Add/Edit into Options: Lock, VirtualBox/Qemu exe path and Method to update the VM cfg file.
Improvement: by default it doesn't ask/show the second drive anymore, only if you set it in Options.
Improvement: you can set the default Qemu command line parameters for any new Qemu entry.
Bugfix: solved a problem with the command line parameters for vboxmanage.exe.

I'm thinking of moving also "Wait time for flush data" from Add/Edit into Options. The only reason against could be: for some (USB) drives the user may change this value to compensate for the drive's Read/Write speed difference...
What do you think...?

A small problem.
I thought the last VirtualBox version fixed the fast restart bug. Well, it did, but not 100%. In some situations still crashes when it's restarted too fast.
If you use the previous method of updating the vbox file it will not crash because it's waiting for the vboxsvc.exe to close.
But with the vboxmanage method I can't use the same fix because vboxsvc.exe could be from VirtualBox Manager and not from VirtualBox VM.
I will try to find a way to fix it but it's not that easy...

#255 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:05 AM

I promised I will think about showing a log window after clicking on Start. And I did.

It's a good idea but implementing it in the current version has some problems: the code is currently designed to use only one thread. But 2 threads are needed: one for the code which configures and starts the VM and one for the log window. This way the user can interact with the log window. Without it, the log window will be rarely painted and can be rarely accessed.
Now, I can create the log window in the second thread, which is not a good idea, or I can move the start code in it. It's a lot of work to do that but, what's more important, using multiple threads in any (Windows) application is decreasing the stability of that application. That's because you have to be very careful to not let the threads access resources simultaneously (this will crash the application). Mathematically is impossible to achieve this 100% but you can achieve an acceptable/good percentage. The downside is: this will degrade the overall performance a bit and it's a pain to code...

Plus the already mentioned problem: most of this time it's just loading the VirtualBox VM so there will be no message displayed in this "part"...

Maybe in a future version I will implement this but for now the application will display this message when you click on the Start button:

aw5fts.png

Btw, I had to use an external host for the image since the reboot uploader doesn't seem to work for this image...

#256 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

1.2 Beta 7 version

LE: link removed, you can find better version in the next posts.

Changes:

Improvement: the code which changes the text brightness in a different column was a little improved.
Improvement: a flash drive icon was added to the drive column.
Improvement: a message informing the user about the delays (after clicking on the Start button) was added.
Improvement: when vboxmanage is used to update the VM configuration file, also checks if the VM is already started.
Improvement: found a way to minimize the chances of a VB crash when it's restarted too fast (the VB fast restart bug).
Bugfix: fixed a bug in the code that extracts the ID and path of the VirtualBox VM from the exe parameters.
Plus some other minor bugfixes and improvements...

• eblip likes this

#257 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

tip :

C:\>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\blackcrack\AppData\Roaming
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=BLACKYSGATE2
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\blackcrack
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\blackcrack\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\BLACKYSGATE2
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=4
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Connectivity Solution\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\
system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\blackcrack\AppData\Loc
al\Bandizip\7z
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2, AuthenticAMD
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=21
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0102
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\BLACKC~1\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\BLACKC~1\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=blackysgate2
USERNAME=blackcrack
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\blackcrack
VBOX_INSTALL_PATH=C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\
windir=C:\Windows
windows_tracing_flags=3
windows_tracing_logfile=C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log
__COMPAT_LAYER=ElevateCreateProcess

C:\>

so gives Variables who you can work there with also :)
this can you use to insert in the Options of you program where it is installed the Virtualbox
by side can you set the :
qemu_INSTALL_PATH=C:\Program Files\Qemu\

therewith can you work with  %QEMU_INSTALL_PATH% and %VBOX_INSTALL_PATH% ..
VBOX_INSTALL_PATH by installed vbox and QEMU_INSTALL_PATH by config of the USer..

maybe can you create other variables by setting up own variables like

add in the code

qemu_INSTALL_PATH = QEMU_INSTALLDIR
VBOX_INSTALL_PATH = VBOX_INSTALLDIR

for having own and changable variables(easy changeable/updatable) in future ;)

if have QEmu later own install-path can you remove the variable set
and can use from Qemu like them from VBox ;)

the VBox exist now as VBOX_INSTALL_PATH and this can you use for automatic find the VirtualBox.exe ;)

2. The 2nd drive, maybe make possibily to select an own iso or host-CDrom/DVD/Blueray Drive and USB-drive ?

on vbox automatical select the 2.nd drive from VBox or maybe managed full the vboxdrives directly ...

on qemu make possible to use the 2nd as iso or Host-CDromdrive, so both selectable iso or drive .. Iso, USB, Host-CDrom/DVD or other ..

best regards
Blacky

Edited by Blackcrack, 14 July 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#258 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

1.2 Beta 7 version

attachicon.gifVirtual Machine USB Boot exe.zip

Changes:

Improvement: the code which changes the text brightness in a different column was a little improved.
Improvement: a flash drive icon was added to the drive column.
Improvement: a message informing the user about the delays (after clicking on the Start button) was added.
Improvement: when vboxmanage is used to update the VM configuration file, also checks if the VM is already started.
Improvement: found a way to minimize the chances of a VB crash when it's restarted too fast (the VB fast restart bug).
Bugfix: fixed a bug in the code that extracts the ID and path of the VirtualBox VM from the exe parameters.
Plus some other minor bugfixes and improvements...

Is this the portable version? I get no pre-defined VMS entries???

#259 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Is this the portable version? I get no pre-defined VMS entries???

No, it's the portable version.

If you have problem with the vml file make sure that it has the same name with the exe and it's in the same folder.

If still not working, please send me the vml file.

#260 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

tip :

C:\>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\blackcrack\AppData\Roaming
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=BLACKYSGATE2
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\blackcrack
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\blackcrack\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\BLACKYSGATE2
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=4
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Connectivity Solution\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\
system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\blackcrack\AppData\Loc
al\Bandizip\7z
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2, AuthenticAMD
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=21
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0102
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\BLACKC~1\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\BLACKC~1\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=blackysgate2
USERNAME=blackcrack
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\blackcrack
windir=C:\Windows
windows_tracing_flags=3
windows_tracing_logfile=C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log
__COMPAT_LAYER=ElevateCreateProcess

C:\>

so gives Variables who you can work there with also :)
this can you use to insert in the Options of you program where it is installed the Virtualbox
by side can you set the :
qemu_INSTALL_PATH=C:\Program Files\Qemu\

therewith can you work with  %QEMU_INSTALL_PATH% and %VBOX_INSTALL_PATH% ..
VBOX_INSTALL_PATH by installed vbox and QEMU_INSTALL_PATH by config of the USer..

maybe can you create other variables by setting up own variables like

add in the code

qemu_INSTALL_PATH = QEMU_INSTALLDIR
VBOX_INSTALL_PATH = VBOX_INSTALLDIR

for having own and changable variables(easy changeable/updatable) in future ;)

if have QEmu later own install-path can you remove the variable set
and can use from Qemu like them from VBox ;)

the VBox exist now as VBOX_INSTALL_PATH and this can you use for automatic find the VirtualBox.exe ;)

2. The 2nd drive, maybe make possibily to select an own iso or host-CDrom/DVD/Blueray Drive and USB-drive ?

on vbox automatical select the 2.nd drive from VBox or maybe managed full the vboxdrives directly ...

on qemu make possible to use the 2nd as iso or Host-CDromdrive, so both selectable iso or drive .. Iso, USB, Host-CDrom/DVD or other ..

best regards
Blacky

I know about VBOX_INSTALL_PATH, it's already used (for example if there is no cfg). But thank you.

2. The application is made (for now) to attach and dismount/mount real HDD/USB drives. So things VirtualBox doesn't know how to do or only know manually.

There is no gain adding this in the application since you can change/add real/virtual CDROM very easy in VirtualBox Manager.

#261 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

No, it's the portable version.

If you have problem with the vml file make sure that it has the same name with the exe and it's in the same folder.

If still not working, please send me the vml file.

OK - sorted - renaming vml fixed it. :good:

#262 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

oh prima.. i want reply for this too.. works by me well too.. since the name changing :)

#263 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm thinking about changing the icon of the application. The current one doesn't suggest much "Virtual Machine", "USB" and "Boot".
I searched a lot but couldn't find an icon for all three. I found sometimes for 2 but ugly or not free.
Any suggestions...?

#264 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Maybe a logo of  'VMUB' - it is easier to remember than Virtual Machine USB Boot? Or have a symbol of a USB 'three-pronged fork' inside a computer screen?

I am not the best person to ask as my graphics skills equal my one-handed clapping skills...

#265 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Maybe a logo of  'VMUB' - it is easier to remember than Virtual Machine USB Boot? Or have a symbol of a USB 'three-pronged fork' inside a computer screen?

Not a bad idea...

I am not the best person to ask as my graphics skills equal my one-handed clapping skills...

Mine too  :( :D

I find it much easier to code than drawing something...

Let's try something else: a drawing competition/contest. Whoever designs  the best logo/icon wins a 10 year license.

Oops, this will not work, it's free to use :D

#266 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

1.2 Beta 8 version

LE: link removed, you can find a better version in the next posts...

Changes:

The name of the drive(s) added by the application was changed from VMSDrive***.vmdk to VMUBDrive***.vmdk.
A small problem: the already attached VMSDrive***.vmdk drives have to be detached and deleted manually.
Bugfix: a small problem was solved in the code that sets the main window maximized if the application was previously closed in a maximized state.
Improvement: the detection of the Qemu installation was improved.
Bugfix: when the main window was resized the buttons were not 100% symmetrical positioned.

#267 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Let's try something else: a drawing competition/contest.

Hi, this is actually possible.

I can announce in the weekly reboot newsletter that you need help with the logo design. In the past, members like TheHive have actually come up with very good designs but would be better to start a new topic to avoid getting this one too long for other folks know what was discussed here.

Also, why not publishing this project on the downloads arena at http://reboot.pro/files ?

:cheers:

#268 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi, this is actually possible.

I can announce in the weekly reboot newsletter that you need help with the logo design. In the past, members like TheHive have actually come up with very good designs but would be better to start a new topic to avoid getting this one too long for other folks know what was discussed here.

Also, why not publishing this project on the downloads arena at http://reboot.pro/files ?

:cheers:

Thank you.

I will think about that...

• Brito likes this

#269 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

A good friend of mine helped me modify the current icon:

Drives-Machine-HD-icon7.png

Attached File  Drives-Machine-HD-icon7.ico   361.4KB   617 downloads

Seems better, isn't it, guys...?

#270 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

100k'5 sweet/nice a fully plugin wasserpfeife.gif  Image *bG*

best regards

Blacky

#271 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

1.2 Beta 9 version

LE: link removed, you can find a better version in the next posts...

Changes:

Improvement: the icon was changed. I hope most of you will like it...
(VB) Bugfix: Usually a vboxmanage command is carried out in 1..2 sec but I noticed that sometimes it takes longer. VMUB waits about 3 sec then shows a progress window and waits another 12 sec.

#272 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

just we are need have only XP-USB-Storage bugfix as exe-installer file and ssd-usb's with usb3 *bG* 3gig/s transfear ! 8)

or have anyone a link for some installer xp-usb-storage-bugfixer-singleinstaller ? Or can create someone some files/installer ? *please*

best regards

Blacky

#273 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

Sorry, Blackcrack, I can't help you :(

Not that I don't want to, I do, but because I never experimented installing Windows on a flash drive, so I'm totally "outside" this subject...

I use Linux instead (for several good reasons).

Plus I don't have usb3 or ssd on my computer anyway (only usb2 and old HDD) so I can't test it even if I new how to modify it...

#274 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

do not be sad, maby it is an other one who can help you for supporting XP on USB as Independed running XP and not as PEWin..

An real installed XP have the advantage/benefit that one can install and clean btw customizing anytime and anywere  !

this should be another programmer already worth, that there may be such a "XP-USB-Storage.exe" assembles for all and as support for all place it on this tread as support for you too ;)

this with the ssd and usb3 it is an driverthing ;) it is naturaly not support by you, but it can add the drivers on the "XP-USB-Storage.exe"

if anyone assembled such an thing ;)

so, don't worry, this board is biiii... huuughe ;) Maybe knows Nuno someone who can backe some

usb for XP Storage driver-bugfix-installer as single file ?

(Nuno, by side, i have became at last a frendship question, and have klick it by side.. but now i don't find it..gnh..)

best regards

Blacky

Edited by Blackcrack, 18 July 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#275 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

1.2 final version:

Attached File  Virtual Machine USB Boot 1.2 setup.zip   956.27KB   535 downloads

Attached File  Virtual Machine USB Boot 1.2 portable.zip   627.34KB   597 downloads

Attached File  VirtuaI Machine USB Boot 1.2 sources.zip   240.86KB   524 downloads

Changes: basically is Beta 9 with just some small adjustments.

When I will find some time and energy to make a presentation I will publish it at http://reboot.pro/files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users