#1 JohnBug

JohnBug
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

Hi,
I'm new to winbuilder, I followed your tutorial and everything worked first shot.
I really like that ramboot which makes PE run nice and smooth.
Thank you for writing a clear quick and easy tut :thumbsup:

The only thing I'm missing is a way to make this project boot from usb disk or memory stick.
I maybe off topic but can anyone explain how to do this?

BTW I used the smaller streamlined project from the tutorial.

Thanks again

#2 wanderer

wanderer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hi JohnBug,

Get PeToUSB.

http://gocoding.com/....php?al=petousb

Check "Enable LBA (FAT16X) and "Enable File Copy", set "Overwrite Always".

Point to C:\lx40308ln\Target\LiveXP

Greetz

#3 JohnBug

JohnBug
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

Hi Wanderer,

Thanks for the reply.
I tried what said and it doesn't work. The project is copied to the usb stick but when i try to boot from it all i get is a black screen with a blinking cursor(nothing).
i'm using a Sandisk cruzer 2Gb memory stick and the PC is HP pavillion dv6000 laptop.
Could it be that it doesn't work with all combinations?

:thumbsup:

#4 wanderer

wanderer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hi JohnBug,

I have also a Sandisk cruzer 2Gb,so that cant be the problem.

I donnt no for sure,but maybe the HP pavillion dv6000 is the problem?

Could you boot the stick with dos files from the HP pavillion dv6000?

Please tell what directory's and files are on the USB-stick after PeToUSB.

Greetz

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hi Wanderer,

Thanks for the reply.
I tried what said and it doesn't work. The project is copied to the usb stick but when i try to boot from it all i get is a black screen with a blinking cursor(nothing).
i'm using a Sandisk cruzer 2Gb memory stick and the PC is HP pavillion dv6000 laptop.

:thumbsup:

Hi JohnBug and welcome to the forum!

Glad you liked the tut and found it helpful :D As to your issue, you've already received top-notch advice from wanderer, I can only offer a couple other things to check; my experience has been this is usually due to files being left on the stick; either stuff you've put on there or that came with the stick. Make sure you backup anything you need on the stick and then re-format (wipes clean). Use the hp format tool here. Also, make sure your laptop's BIOS is setup to boot from USB; if you have a 'Hard disk boot priority', check that your USB stick is listed and make it the first boot device (top, 1); if not listed, 'Boot other device' might need to be enabled. Do you know how to go in and check your BIOS settings ('F2' at boot)? If you need guidance, just ask :tabletalk: The stick needs to be plugged in for this check and should be plugged directly into a MB port, not a hub. Keep trying, ask more questions as needed and good luck! :D

#6 JohnBug

JohnBug
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi Amalux,

I tried with a acommdata usb hdd and it works on some machines in fact 2 out of 4.
The Sandisk memory stick just won't work anywhere.
Someone told me not long ago that booting from usb was unknown and unstable ground.
Now I know what he meant :thumbsup:

#7 wanderer

wanderer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

You could also try BootFlashDOS,to test DOS booting with this USB-stick.

http://gocoding.com/...al=bootflashdos

This tool puts command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys on the stick.Works also on Vista,only a bit slower then on XP is my experience.

Try one of the F-keys (F8)to get a boot menu,so you can select the USB-stick directly,instead making changes in the BIOS.

Gretz

#8 MadWoodsman

MadWoodsman
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

I am a bit Corn-Fused!

I have been able to build the projects without SDI and boot them sucessfully into a VM (using the ISO) or physical PC (using the CD), but I am not sure what to do with the RAM folder when I build a project ussing the SDI. Where is this folder supposed to go?

- MadWoodsman

btw- This tutorial really helped me get up to speed on this. Your gift is much appreciated.

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

I have been able to build the projects without SDI and boot them sucessfully into a VM (using the ISO) or physical PC (using the CD), but I am not sure what to do with the RAM folder when I build a project ussing the SDI. Where is this folder supposed to go?

You have 4 possibilities to build a running PE
  • 'Classic'
    • In Fundamentals, chose 'Ram Drive Letter' B: or R: and 'Settings Drive' = RamDrive
    • Include a Ram Drive script, e.g. ImDisk
    • Use Create ISO script
  • 'BootSDI' w/o Ram Drive
    • In Fundamentals, chose 'Ram Drive Letter' --
    • Do not include a Ram Drive script
    • Use BootSDI script
  • 'BootSDI' with Ram Drive and 'Documents and settings' on the RAM drive
    • In Fundamentals, chose 'Ram Drive Letter' B: or R: and 'Settings Drive' = RamDrive
    • Use BootSDI script
  • 'BootSDI' with Ram Drive and 'Documents and settings' on the system drive
    • In Fundamentals, chose 'Ram Drive Letter' B: or R: and 'Settings Drive' = SystemDrive
    • Use BootSDI script
The last 2 options are rather 'academic'. When having BootSDI, you do not need a RAM drive

Peter

#10 MadWoodsman

MadWoodsman
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

You have 4 possibilities to build a running PE

• 'Classic'
    • Use Create ISO script
  • 'BootSDI' w/o Ram Drive
    • In Fundamentals, chose 'Ram Drive Letter' --
    • Do not include a Ram Drive script
    • Use BootSDI script
  • 'BootSDI' with Ram Drive and 'Documents and settings' on the RAM drive
    • Use BootSDI script
  • 'BootSDI' with Ram Drive and 'Documents and settings' on the system drive
    • In Fundamentals, chose 'Ram Drive Letter' B: or R: and 'Settings Drive' = SystemDrive
    • Use BootSDI script
The last 2 options are rather 'academic'. When having BootSDI, you do not need a RAM drive

Peter

I was using option 3, but it is still not clear to me where I need to put the RAM folder. When I try to boot the ISO it reports that "Windows failed to open the RAMDISK image".

I just tried option 2, but got an error that my Settings Drive points to a non-existent RAM drive. Settings Drive was left as "RAM Drive" under Fundamentals. If I change the Settings Drive to "System Drive" I don't get an error during the verify script, but I am not sure what I will have when the build completes (still building).

Option 4 sounds interesting.

- MadWoodsman

#11 MadWoodsman

MadWoodsman
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

That last build had the same issue (couldnt' open the RAMDISK). As a sanity chek I tried a fresh build with WB075 using SDI and it works when I boot the ISO. I guess I didn't need to do anything with the RAM directory that was created inside the ISO directory.

So I guess I will go back to 074 and try to determine what might be different. I know I had a lot more apps installed and the full network DP, but I didn't do much poking around in the other areas (except where following the tutorials).

- MadWoodsman

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

That last build had the same issue (couldnt' open the RAMDISK). As a sanity chek I tried a fresh build with WB075 using SDI and it works when I boot the ISO. I guess I didn't need to do anything with the RAM directory that was created inside the ISO directory.

So I guess I will go back to 074 and try to determine what might be different. I know I had a lot more apps installed and the full network DP, but I didn't do much poking around in the other areas (except where following the tutorials).

- MadWoodsman

I know that I did not change anything in 075 beta, which could affect the RAM disk.
Also 'much more apps' should not be the reason for your troubles.

Maybe your 'fresh build' is the hit.

Try a fresh build with 074, too.

Peter

#13 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

I am a bit Corn-Fused!

Hi there MadWoodsman! Welcome!

You don't need to do anything with the RAM folder (for now). The ISO that is created when using BootSDI is named LiveXP_RAM; this is all you need. Just burn it to a CD and when you boot to that CD, everything will be automatically loaded into RAM! Enjoy!

p.s. Thank you for your kind words, glad it helped you out ;)

#14 Waulk

Waulk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:54 AM

Now that I have a working LiveXP running from CD, my appetite has been whetted!

What I _really_ want is something similar but not quite the same --

I would like to take an installed version of WinXP that is fully customized for the specific computer I want it to run on, and make it run from a CD or USB stick.

The reason is that I purposely want the system to revert back to its unsullied state each time it is turned off or rebooted.

I have looked at WinXP-embedded, but the cost of $1000 for the dev kit and $100 for the one system is not in the budget. However, I have _NO_ problem paying Microsoft for a retail copy of WinXP -- in fact I have already done so multiple times. I want to use a purchased and fully-activated/licensed/legal copy of WinXP on the computer it was licensed on.

Unlike PE-based systems, I want this one to have the proper drivers for the specific hardware, and already have its network settings, as well as the user's name and other info.

I have the glimmerings of an idea of how to pull this off, but if you can point me to a tutorial as great as this one that tells me what to do step-by-step, that would be wonderful!

#15 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4204 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

Welcome the community.
I think what youre looking for is
ETBoot - Boot youre Windows Install from CD-DVD
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=3890

#16 Waulk

Waulk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:33 AM

TheHive -- Thanks for the link to ETBoot.

I had looked at it earlier and not understood what it is about -- that was before I signed up so I couldn't download anything or search or ...

Now all I have to do is peruse the docs and try it out.

Amalux -- It may be that I have an unusual form of WinXP SP2 -- it is a Gateway system installation disk.

I'm glad to hear that the script command CopyOrExpand can deal with this -- I don't know anything about the scripting engine yet. So much to learn and so little time...

#17 Waulk

Waulk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:46 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome!

One thing that is puzzling me is that the network driver is not working. The physical computer has an Intel Pro/100 VE NIC built into the motherboard, and the LiveXP I am using does include the driver for that NIC, but the network is never found.

When I boot I get the message (after XP is loaded) "Start Network Now?" It doesn't matter if I click on Yes or let the countdown time out -- the result is always "No network cards detected!"

I have tried the LiveXP CD on a Gateway 500V and an eMachines desktop with the same result (they both have the Intel Pro/100 VE built into the motherboard).

Ideas?

#18 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:02 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome!

One thing that is puzzling me is that the network driver is not working. The physical computer has an Intel Pro/100 VE NIC built into the motherboard, and the LiveXP I am using does include the driver for that NIC, but the network is never found.

When I boot I get the message (after XP is loaded) "Start Network Now?" It doesn't matter if I click on Yes or let the countdown time out -- the result is always "No network cards detected!"

I have tried the LiveXP CD on a Gateway 500V and an eMachines desktop with the same result (they both have the Intel Pro/100 VE built into the motherboard).

Ideas?

Hi again Waulk,

NIC drivers can be a bit tricky on some machines; try enabling one of the 'universal' (not really) driver packs included (but not checked by default) in the project you're running (lx40308ln). Find these under 'Drivers' - '3 Network' in WB's, Scripts tree view:
nicops.JPG

if these options don't work, try using myNIC to create a driver script for the computer(s) in question and include these scripts in your next build. To use myNIC, just run it on the machine you need a driver script for and click 'Make Script' - Note: Change 'Script Level' to 6 (if not already) and check that your NIC is listed as 'Network Card' (should be listed automatically). Example:
mynic.JPG

If your card is not listed, there's a good chance that it's not a 'standard' configuration but we'll cross that bridge... To include the new script(s) in your project, copy them into "lx40308ln\Projects\LiveXP\Drivers\3 Network" before running your next build. Good luck and let us know what happens :)

#19 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4204 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

Just incase the above doesnt work. Here is a reference for a BartPE plugin.
http://www.911cd.net...?showtopic=2886

#20 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:08 AM

Just incase the above doesnt work. Here is a reference for a BartPE plugin.
http://www.911cd.net...?showtopic=2886

All the links in that post are dead; this one should be a working link. The thing is, there's no guarantee that this would work for his machine based on my experience; it would make more sense to create a backup of the driver using Smart Driver Backup :)

#21 Waulk

Waulk

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:37 AM

amalux & The Hive,

Thank you for your suggestions. I got pulled away from this fascinating project for a few days but am back to try out your suggestions.

I also learned about Microsoft's SteadyState, which on the surface looks like it might suit my needs. I am still trying to figure out exactly what the various configuration options do, as what I experience doesn't always jibe with my understanding of the documentation.

I'll let you know what the results are.

#22 wanderer

wanderer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hi amalux.

I'm using the lx40308ln build on my USB-stick and it's working fantastic,so thank you for this great tool :)

I like to add the regreswiz script witch i found here.

http://edborg.boot-l.../Standard/Apps/

I can't find how to add this script to the lx40308ln build.I think I understand it has to do with the "level" witch is explaned under "Add-Remove Programs, Drivers Etc.'

When I add the script as it is,it ends up in a folder Programs in the root of the USB-stick and I can start it from there.

When I try to edit the "Variables" as below,it's not on the USB-stick at all.
[Variables]

%ProgramsDrive%=%PEDrive%\Programs

%ProgDir%=%TargetDir%\Programs

%exepath%=%PEDrive%\Programs\RegResWiz

%ProgramMenu%=RegResWiz

%SpCar%=#$

Hopefully you can help me with this.

Thanks in advance

Greetz wanderer

#23 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hi amalux.

I'm using the lx40308ln build on my USB-stick and it's working fantastic,so thank you for this great tool :)

I like to add the regreswiz script witch i found here.

http://edborg.boot-l.../Standard/Apps/

I can't find how to add this script to the lx40308ln build.I think I understand it has to do with the "level" witch is explaned under "Add-Remove Programs, Drivers Etc.'

When I add the script as it is,it ends up in a folder Programs in the root of the USB-stick and I can start it from there.

When I try to edit the "Variables" as below,it's not on the USB-stick at all.

[Variables]

%ProgramsDrive%=%PEDrive%\Programs

%ProgDir%=%TargetDir%\Programs

%exepath%=%PEDrive%\Programs\RegResWiz

%ProgramMenu%=RegResWiz

%SpCar%=#$

Hopefully you can help me with this.

Thanks in advance

Greetz wanderer

Hi wanderer, welcome!

Try this script conversion, should work but I don't have time to test; leaving town for few days, back on Monday. If needed I'll get it working for you then :)

#24 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:54 PM

In the script change
unpack
to
unpack,RegResWiz

Regards,
Galapo.

#25 wanderer

wanderer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

@amalux

Thank you for your answer and the script file.

It did add the regreswiz folder to the startmenu,but regreswiz.exe was not extracted.

When I add regreswiz.exe my self it works ok.

@Galapo

Thank you for the finishing touch,now regreswiz.exe is extracted to the folder and everything works fine.

Another qustion if I may,I always have to click 3 times before I get the screen where I can choose to reboot or shutdown the USB-stick,sounds familiar?

If I remember well,this is on every build\version of Winbuilder.

Greetz

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users