[app script] Tight VNC Server & Viewer

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

File name: [app script] Tight VNC Server & Viewer

Description:

TightVNC is a free remote control software package derived from the popular VNC software. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer. TightVNC is:

* free, GPL-licensed, with full source code available;
* useful in remote administration, remote customer support, education, and for many other purposes;
* cross-platform, available for Windows and Unix, compatible with other VNC software.

http://www.tightvnc.com/

:yahoo:

Download file

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4204 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

Thanks! should be usefull

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

MedEvil suggested it and it looks good - vnc saves a lot of time when you need to help someone get their machine working again.. :yahoo:

#4 gozzgug

gozzgug

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

Just want to say great script!

I'm not familiar with writing WinBuilder scripts so here is something maybe an expert script writer could do to make this script even better. If someone writes this script it would really help me understand script writing also.

The passwords for TightVNC are stored in the registry.

1. Could you add an interface text box to this script so you can type in the password you want to have put in the registry so it doesn't prompt you? You can use this utility to get the encrypted password hex string: VNCPwDump

2. Add another interface checkbox to have it autostart after the network started.

GOZ

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hi gozzgug!

There's not much fancy inside the script - just added the files and typed this:

[main]
Title=Tight VNC
Description=Remote control other computers using the same VNC protocol. This scripts adds both the viewer and server
Selected=True
Level=5
Version=1
Contact=http://www.tightvnc.com
Author=Open Source
Date=2007-JUL-16

[variables]
%ProgramTitle%=Tight VNC server
%ProgramEXE%=WinVNC.exe
%ProgramFolder%=TightVNC

[process]
Add_Shortcut,Desktop
Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,Network
unpack

Open wb 072 --> Click Tools --> The first tab is "Create Script" and can be used to create these sort of scripts easily.

Still missing to add the ability to write registry keys - we haven't yet discussed the best approach for this.

wb comes with an internal script editor - just select any script and click on it's logo or the edit button and open up the source code tab.

Inside you can right-click on the window where the source code is displayed and a righ-click menu displays all available commands along with a syntax example (this way you don't need to memorize everything.. :))

The help pages for this syntax is here: http://www.boot-land...pplication.html - all details you need to know can be found inside.

For scripting - read this page: http://www.boot-land...ipt_syntax.html

This is a very simple script - adding your requests is easy if we code a script to work specifically with liveXP - please give some time until we add support for writing registry keys using these sort of templates and then we can provide a script that will surely work on any project that uses this sort of templates. (livexp, vistape, etc..)

#6 gozzgug

gozzgug

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

You can't write registry keys?

Then what does the command:

RegWrite,"HKEY",KeyType,"Section","Keyname","Value"

This shows up in the script editor?

Goz

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

Yes, you can use that command to write registry keys - the issue is the location of the respective hive files to be loaded - under XP PE it's I386\System32 - under VistaPE it will be windows\system32

But now that you mention this - it probably can be solved if we just define common variables for hive locations inside the script.project file and these can later be changed to match the correct locations as each project requires (vistape, livexp,..).. :yahoo:

:)

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

Regarding the VNCscript.
Unless one can start the server with a password as parameter. On would need to install the server on a computer, set the password and then extract it for later use in PE.

On the other hand if someone is really interested, the source code is available.

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

@Nuno
Nice idea to turn the 'windows' folder into a variable.

#10 gozzgug

gozzgug

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Regarding the VNCscript.
Unless one can start the server with a password as parameter. On would need to install the server on a computer, set the password and then extract it for later use in PE.

On the other hand if someone is really interested, the source code is available.

@MedEvil

Icorrect. This utility VNCPwDump allows you to find the encrypted value for any password you choose. Or it allows you to decrypt an already encrypted VNC password. Just download it and look at the command line. It's a cool utility.

Goz

#11 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

VNCPwDump decrypts the encoded password, but what we would need for the script, is a tool that can encrypt the plain password.
So it does basicly the opposite of what we would need.

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

Yes, this console app seems to perform both actions and we can either specify to read from the registry or supply a password to encrypt/decrypt.. :yahoo:

#13 gozzgug

gozzgug

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

@MedEvil

Just run vncpwdump -e <mypassword> and it gives you the encrypted hex value to put in the registry.

I was hoping someone could create a .script that would have a GUI textbox you could put your password into so when you build it would pop the encrypted hex value in the registry for you.

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

The script is Nunos child.
Unless a developer is not available for some reason, i do not fiddle with other people scripzs.

But you put forth about everything that has to be done, so things look good that Nuno will throw it for you in his script. ;-)

#15 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

Yes, already completed all requests - only one thing missing - tightvnc writes keys under the HKEY_USERS - what is the equivalent under PE? :)

Regshot 1.7
Datetime:2007/7/18 22:45:05 , 2007/7/18 22:45:21
Computer:RG2-ADMIN , RG2-ADMIN
Username: ,

----------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG]
"Seed"=hex(3):AB,AA,50,EB,78,5E,19,CE,2D,58,A9,A5,24,C0,B9,3A,A5,00,E7,3E,B7,20,\
60,4E,1D,27,3B,59,9C,E8,C8,B7,50,C9,F8,9A,AC,40,AC,E8,3F,73,66,BB,B9,FC,16,CA,\
3E,C0,D2,D2,CF,C5,84,94,5E,19,08,47,BE,0B,F6,C8,92,7B,F6,F7,A9,9D,88,12,49,8A,\
0A,B0,E7,C5,6C,2C

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1957994488-725345543-839522115-500\Software\ORL\WinVNC3]
"Password"=hex(3):49,40,15,F9,A3,5E,8B,22
"PasswordViewOnly"=hex(3):49,40,15,F9,A3,5E,8B,22

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1957994488-725345543-839522115-500\SessionInformation]
"ProgramCount"=dword:00000004

Values modified:4

Total changes:4

Regshot outputed these values and they match the crypted key - I'm also not sure if this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG key is also needed to be added.

Here's what I got so far - Attached File  tightvnc.script   813.54KB   1399 downloads

Added a small custom exe to process the output from the decription tool and write the value back inside the script, the result looks a bit messy but works - guess it would be easier to pick the source code and let this custom exe do all work by itself to keep things clean.

Only missing to add the registry values and autostart.

#16 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

Yes, already completed all requests - only one thing missing - tightvnc writes keys under the HKEY_USERS - what is the equivalent under PE? :)

I would say default.hiv

#17 rohrbage

rohrbage
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

Hi Nuno,

I`m picking up this old topic because in the moment I´m dealing with UltraVNC on VistaPE.
I have an VistaPE boot image on an XP machine. With changing the boot.ini ( what can be done remotly) I'm able to
run the VistaPE after next reboot. In the VistaPE I have installed the actual UltraVNC for Vista, that boots automatically.

After taking control with VNC about that PC it is possible to run DISKPART to create/delete partitions and
restore a WIM Image with XP operating system to this machine.

There are still some minor issues, ( grub4dos is in use, starting winvnc by startnet,cmd)
But in general it works well, the idea behind is that we are able to install a operating system like XP remotly.
If you are responsible for more than 100PC´s it can be a very helpfull tool.
And for rollouts that is really great, I have ever dreamed about such a solution.

I have an issue with the winvnc and the startnet.cmd
If I put the "%systemdrive%\program Files\vnc\winvnc.exe" in the cmd, the cmd is blocked.
In the moment I run from startnet.cmd a second cmd, but this is a quite dirty solution.
But with the winvnc that only happens, if it is called by system boot.

Do you have any solution?

Do you now if the winbuilder source is free and available?
In the moment I´m building VistaPE form WAIK by some own scripts, I did not understood how
to get the winbuilder running.
I would need on the PE .Net2 running and the mysql .net driver.
I have seen in the forum, that someone gots a script for framework2.
I can read the script and understand it also, but what is about the encrypted stuff in the script file?

Many thanks for your help

Regards
Gerald

Yes, this console app seems to perform both actions and we can either specify to read from the registry or supply a password to encrypt/decrypt.. :thumbsup:

#18 robinj

robinj

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Hello all,
Just posted this on another forum, but thought I should post here too. I find that when I auto start the TightVNC Server I always get a warning saying that the password has not been set. Checking the script, all looks good and correct password has been encoded. However, I noticed that script stores passwords in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3. I believe the correct place should actually be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default. I edited the script to reflect this and TightVNC started fine with no password warnings. When you set a password from within WinVNC it will store it in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3 path.

For the record, I was using Winbuilder 076 with XP SP3 Source and built a typical LiveXP distro.

Regards

Robin

#19 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

Nuno, were is version 2?
Did you forget to post?

:lol:

#20 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Well.. I'm no longer needing VNC on my boot disks so it simply wasn't finished thought it isn't missing much now.

You're welcome to finish the script if you like and need it.

Most of the work has already been done and robinj seems to have completed what was missing.

#21 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Sure send it over, i have a look. v1 can't stay in NaughtyPE.

#22 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

It was already uploaded, look here:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=17637

These modifications will prepare the user selected password but it's still missing the registry write portion.

Please test.

#23 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

but it's still missing the registry write portion.

Are those the values that you describe in that topic?

#24 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

No, my values didn't worked.

Read the topic from Robin and try those instead:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=63776

#25 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hi MedEvil

If you decide to finish the script :lol:, please keep in touch. LiveXP currently have this script with v4 (no improvement with little addings). Better to keep version # same in future development. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users