Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:38 AM

@Lancelot and @blue_life

New test version of U_XP_x64.exe available including Function SystemFileRedirect for x64 Support :D

Link removed, U_XP_SET.exe ready for use.

Thanks for testing, hopefully now OK.

:D

#252 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:12 AM

;)
new U_XP_SET.exe ready (U_XP_x64.exe tested on flash disk etc...)

blue_life and I only have a verrry small piece of salt in the soup to support. I appreciate you a lot for making great work on gathering infos around about UDF UFD bootability into one package. :D

ps: I will check other parts of this package as soon as i find time, so far this is the ultimate UFD boot utility i have.

Thanks for all
Cu

#253 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

=
PROGRAM UPDATE - U_XP_SET Package - Install XP from USB

Make_USB.exe program is now compatible with x64 versions of Windows. :D

Thanks to Lancelot and blue_life for giving Function SystemFileRedirect for x64 Support
and for testing Make_USB.exe with x64 version of Windows XP. ;)

Download U_XP_SET.exe

Thanks for all and Cheers,

#254 Blue Life

Blue Life

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:56 AM

Thanks wimb.. :D :D

#255 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

=

USB_XP_Setup.exe has Changed:
For Install of XP from any Harddisk folder or from CD / DVD disk,
the XP Source is always Copied to $WIN_NT$.~LS folder on Target Install-drive, which enables to make use of TEXTMODE Drivers defined in winnt.sif and located in $OEM$\TEXTMODE folder of the XP Source.

TEXTMODE drivers desired to be used by allanf
http://www.boot-land...?...5306&st=180

and as used and described by cdob
http://www.boot-land...?...5306&st=186

USB-Harddisk with XP source can be removed after running USB_XP_Setup.exe so that it does not give unwanted DriveLetter shifting in XP Setup.
Also using rdummy.sys for USB-Harddisk is no longer needed this way.
Using $WIN_NT$.~LS as XP source folder on Target Install-drive, makes the procedure more looking like using winnt32.exe but it does NOT have the usual errors occurring when using winnt32.exe on SP3 XP Sources integrated with UpdatePacks.

Copy is NOT necessary when XP Source is on USB-stick and NOT using TEXTMODE Drivers, thus saving some copytime.
In this case SetupSourcePath and SetupSourceDevice are specified in txtsetup.sif to find XP Setup Source Folder on USB-stick.

General Changes for using Windows PE 2 ISO images:
The Grub4dos menu.lst Menu entries for Windows PE 2.1 or VistaPE ISO images has been modified
by using chainloader (0xff) instead of chainloader /BOOTMGR
It works quite well this way and allows to use the FileSelector also for other CD ISO images without BOOTMGR file.

Download - U_XP_SET
=
Posted Image
=

#256 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

=

Make_USB.exe and USB_XP_Setup.exe
Update so that Network Shared Folders can also be used as Source Folders.

Download - U_XP_SET

In LiveXP you can Connect to Network Drive using PENetwork Manager with
Path: \\ComputerName\ShareName
User: ComputerName\UserName
Pass: PassWord
It might be necessary to switch off the Firewall of the Network computer.

#257 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

Hi, wimb!
I've just tried to build a "XP Recovery Console from USB" with your tool and I can say that it works nice. ;)

Then I'm trying to "merge" the working UFD content in a "ima" file and it seemed to work, but then it asks for the 2nd floppy... ;)
Many other attempts did not achieve the result for me.

So, if a way exists, how can I do in order to boot XP Recovery Console from an IMA and/or an ISO file using "grub4dos" as boot loader?

And how can I do in order to add the jaclaz's catch22 improvement to my built IMA/ISO?

I read a lot of threads and suggestions without to reach a real pointing for that issue.

Many thanks in advance. :)

#258 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

@online

A floppy has a DIFFERENT structure (for Recovery Console) than a HD-like image.

Is there ANY reason why you cannot use a HD-like image and the already provided ways to boot it? ;)

In any case you need RAMDISK booting.

Reference topic:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5316
(AND links given in there)
and particularly this post and following ones:
http://www.boot-land...?...=5316&st=40

The "no more CATCH 22" trick WON'T work on a "floppy-like" source, it needs to be on a "HD-like" device.

And it wasn't tested AFAICR with the RAMDISK build. ;)

:)

jaclaz

#259 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

I have moved latest online post to where it belongs:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5316

jaclaz

#260 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

=

A new program was added to U_XP_SET package:

Make_IMG.exe - Make and Install Boot Image File - Type IMG or ISO
Make_IMG.exe runs only with 32-bits Windows XP as Operating System.

Supported are:
  • Make and Install 15 MB FreeDOS FAT12 Superfloppy IMG file from Source Folder containing kernel.sys
  • Make and Install 25 MB MS-DOS FAT16 Superfloppy IMG file from Source Folder containing IO.SYS
  • Make and Install 15 MB XP Recovery Console FAT12 IMG file Booting from RAMDISK and made from Windows XP Setup Source
  • Make and Install LiveXP / BartPE / UBCD4Win ISO or NTFS Compressed IMG Files Booting from RAMDISK (max 500 MB)
  • Install WinPE 2.1 or VistaPE ISO files Booting from RAMDISK
  • Install CD-ISO file e.g. ubcd50b12.iso or pmagic-4.0.iso or LiveXP_RAM.iso as boot option in GRUB4DOS menu.lst Menu
Images are made from a Virtual Drive by using Virtual Disk Driver (VDK) of Ken Kato.
http://chitchat.at.i...vmware/vdk.html
You will find the Image files in U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt\make_image folder.

For the XP Recovery Console a 15 MB FAT12 Superfloppy Image file is made, where the cmdcons folder is generated by parsing dosnet.inf of the Windows XP Setup Source.
Then cmdcons folder is renamed as i386 and ramdisk.sys of win2k3 is added instead of the original one.
In root of bootdrive we have setupldr.bin of win2k3 renamed as the bootloader RMLDR, which is patched for using rcons.sif as setup information instead of winnt.sif to allow MultiBoot Environment.
More Info: http://www.boot-land...?...=5316&st=60

I would like to thank jaclaz to allow me making use of his CATCH22 folder.
Adding the CATCH22 folder to the root of any HD-like device allows to use Recovery Console Superfloppy Boot Image without using admin password and to get unlimited access to any folder by connecting to CATCH22 instead of to WINDOWS folder.
http://www.911cd.net...o...20983&st=25

For the LiveXP / BartPE / UBCD4Win - ISO or NTFS Compressed IMG Files Booting from RAMDISK, it is possible to migrate USB-stick to DriveLetter U: so that Shifting of other Drive Letters is prevented.

Install of Boot Image files is possble on Harddisk Boot Drive C: or on Bootable USB-stick made e.g. with Make_USB.exe by making boot entries in GRUB4DOS menu.lst Menu and in some cases in XP boot.ini Menu as well.

The program will recognize the type of image and will generate the corresponding GRUB4DOS entry in menu.lst
The DOS Superfloppy Images including DOS-Apps are booting from RAM, which allows to boot with DOS from a NTFS Harddisk.

GRUB4DOS is updated to the latest version grub4dos-0.4.4-2009-06-11
which is also essential for booting the DOS Superfloppy Images using the generated menu.lst entries.
More Info on GRUB4DOS Menu entries for various types of Image files:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5041
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm

Download - U_XP_SET
=
Posted Image
=

#261 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

=

- ImDisk of Olof Lagerkvist is used now as Virtual disk driver instead of VDK

ImDisk virtual disk driver for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008
http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html

Make_IMG.exe runs now with Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Windows7 Operating System,
but it needs to install previously the ImDisk Driver using U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt\imdiskinst.exe

@Lancelot
Can you please test Make_IMG.exe for 64-bits version of Windows XP ?

Download - U_XP_SET

#262 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

- ImDisk of Olof Lagerkvist is used now as Virtual disk driver instead of VDK

Does this mean that "full" disk images are not possible or that you found a way to "combine" IMDISK with the MBR and \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE access? ;)

More losely, why INSTEAD (as opposed to "ALTERNATIVELY")? :lol:

A generally accepted "convention" is that .IMA files are floppy/superfloppy and .IMG are "full" disk images, maybe you could adopt the same to try to lessen the confusion. ;)

;)

jaclaz

#263 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

A generally accepted "convention" is that .IMA files are floppy/superfloppy and .IMG are "full" disk images, maybe you could adopt the same to try to lessen the confusion. :lol:

It could also be useful to have a generally accepted way of differentiating between a partition and disk image (ie something like .img and .dsk).

Joakim

#264 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

The main reason for using ImDisk is that VDK did give STOP and REMOVE problems with Vista OS.
And I would like Make_IMG.exe to run on most Windows Operating Systems.

At the moment Make_IMG.exe is used to Make and Install SuperFloppy type Boot Image files, but it might be a future development to support making "full" disk images as well.

The use of .ima for Superfloppy Boot Image Files and .img for "full" disk images is possible.
However, LiveXP BootSDI.img file is not a "full" disk image and does not follow the naming "convention".

@joakim
A partition image has in fact a Superfloppy type structure.
But naming "full" disk images with a .dsk extension is I think a very good idea.
Then we can reserve .ima for small floppy image files and .img for Superfloppy and Partition Image files, so that BootSDI.img would fit in this naming convention.

#265 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

It could also be useful to have a generally accepted way of differentiating between a partition and disk image (ie something like .img and .dsk).

Joakim

Actually a partition image is a "superfloppy", or at least in my mind:
  • anything which first sector is a bootsector is a .ima file (partition or volume or "superfloppy")
  • anything which first sector is a MBR, followed by some hidden sectors is a .img file (Full disk)

but as said, is just a common convention.

However, LiveXP BootSDI.img file is not a "full"disk image and does not follow the naming "convention".

So, besides NOT being a SDI, and not being a .img ;) , we should keep these errors only because it was done? ;)

How much would it cost to put a §@ç#ing ;) :

/rdimageoffset=n

and use "proper" images (that can be directly copied to media)?

Then we can reserve .ima for small floppy image files and .img for Superfloppy and Partition Image files, so that BootSDI.img would fit in this naming convention.

I guess that the idea is to correct mistakes instead of making new ones (to cover the preceding ones).

Or should we continue in the tradition of the good guys at MS? :lol:

;)

jaclaz

#266 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

Instead of BootSDI, maybe nt5pe2ram was more describing of what it actually does..

The /rdimageoffset could also be present to clear things up, as well as /rdimagelength.

@jaclaz
Wouldn´t a simplification of the difference between a partition and disk image, equate to just 63 sectors, if image was partitioned in standard way..?

Joakim

#267 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Instead of BootSDI, maybe nt5pe2ram was more describing of what it actually does..

The /rdimageoffset could also be present to clear things up, as well as /rdimagelength.

@jaclaz
Wouldn´t a simplification of the difference between a partition and disk image, equate to just 63 sectors, if image was partitioned in standard way..?

Joakim

Yep :lol:, on a geometry with s=63 that would be accurate, though a number of images (usually smaller ones, NT 3.51/4.00 derived or Winimage originated) use a CHS of nx64x32.

jaclaz

#268 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

@Lancelot
Can you please test Make_IMG.exe for 64-bits version of Windows XP ?

Hi wimb, sorry for late response.
yep tested, nope didnt work. I dont think it will work with vista64 and win7pex64 too. ;)

solution should be similar to the fix for finding dmadmin.exe :lol: since Make_IMG.exe cant find and use imdisk installed to hostos.
Here is my testing pictures:
http://img38.imagesh...8/236/wimb1.gif
http://img196.images.../3425/wimb2.png

Besides a mini thing noticed ;)

Files \makebt\srsp1\setupldr.bin or ramdisk.sys NOT Found

Copy File Winbuilder\Workbench\Common\BootSDI\setupldr.bin

AndAdd ramdisk.sys to USB_XP_Setup\makebt\srsp1 folder

about other subjects:
I always support optionality, currently vdk issues fixed on LiveXP and when imdisk added to Bootsdi script there will be options to select.
Besides I guess joakim's findings need(&have to) vdk to be used on bootsdi script which proves being far-sighted to keep a powerfull tool like vdk have its fruits.
But i also like imdisk too, and for the current bootsdi script imdisk is enough, working easly on all hostos(so far i read) and superiority of having developer Olof.
naming: With knowing some are wrong, I guess it is hard to change some names now.
Maybe better to write about "What it should be", well nt5pe2ram is not accurate too, my ideas maybe CreateRamHDImage or HDImageBoot ;).
We cant change naming easly on old scripts, but we can change descriptions, recently i add "The Most Flexible PE 1x on Earth" to livexp script.project description by jaclaz idea (ps: 1x added by me)

CU ;)

#269 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:00 AM

=

- Changed: Support for 64-bits XP by making proper use of Func SystemFileRedirect($Wow64Number) to find imdisk.exe
Function given by Lancelot and blue_life for support of x64 Windows

Download - U_XP_SET

@Lancelot
Can you please try again if Make_IMG.exe can run with 64-bits XP ?
Thanks for your help.

:lol:

#270 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

Hi wimb,

Now works fine ;)
Created a successfull RECONS.img ;)

Thanks a lot :lol:

#271 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

Now works fine ;)
Created a successfull RECONS.img ;)

Hi Lancelot,

Thanks for very fast respons and confirming success for x64 Windows XP :lol:

;)

#272 gvdamn

gvdamn
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

I am trying to install 5 different versions of Windows XP (home and professional) from an USB hard disk (onto the hard disk of 5 different pc's). Later on I would like to add Windows 2008 Server. Also I'm using WPI (Windows Post Install Wizard) to install different settings and applications after Windows has been installed. I would like all 5 installations to use 1 version of WPI.

I've been directed to this tutorial, but have quite some difficulty in picking out the things I need. The tutorial seems to be assuming more background knowledge (on e.g. specific tools) than I currently have, although I'm by no means a newbie.

I have been able to install Live XP onto a USB Flash Drive (UFD) and boot my PC with it. (By the way what's the difference between using Live_XP_RAM.iso or Boot SDI.img in using Make_USB?) Any further instructions are much appreciated.

#273 TigerWhite

TigerWhite
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

I have used U-XP-SET earlier using the version that was avilable in April 2009. After installing the bootsdi.img and copying XP setup folders to C: and rebooting I could install XP on any other available drive apart from C:.

During the textmode setup the program examined the partitions and offered the choice to the user to select the partition to install XP and the installation completed successfully.

When I used the latest version of U-XP-SET to do the same thing, the setup proceeded to install XP on C: without offering a choice to select a different partition.

In both cases I have used the same XP setup source folder. What changes I should make in the latest version to get back the choice to select the installation partition?

#274 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

What changes I should make in the latest version to get back the choice to select the installation partition?

When your XP Setup Source is (and remains) located on USB-stick, it is still possible to select the Install Partition after booting with XP Setup TXT-mode from Target Bootdrive.

In all other cases, e.g. XP setup source on USB-harddisk or CD/DVD, then the XP Setup Source is copied always to $WIN_NT$.~LS folder on the Target BootDrive, which you have selected in USB_XP_Setup.exe program. In those cases the Target Bootdrive becomes automatically the Install Drive as you remarked already. :idea:

More Info on this change in USB_XP_Setup.exe
http://www.boot-land...?...5306&st=254

#275 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

I am trying to install 5 different versions of Windows XP (home and professional) from an USB hard disk (onto the hard disk of 5 different pc's).

Install of XP from USB involves:
  • Boot in 30 seconds with LiveXP BootSDI.img from RAMDISK loaded in few seconds from HD (preferred) or from USB in 5 minutes
  • Run USB_XP_Setup.exe and select and Format your Target Drive on which you want to Install XP
  • Select your XP Setup Source folder and LiveXP BootSDI.img file and use GO to prepare your Target Drive for Install of XP
  • Reboot Computer from Target Install Drive and Select XP Setup from boot.ini Menu
  • Proceed as usual with TXT-mode and Reboot for GUI-mode of Unattended XP Setup

To perform the above requires some preparation:
  • Prepare XP Setup Source Folder and Live XP BootSDI.img file as described in Tutorial in Sections 2 and 3
  • Use Make_USB.exe so that your USB-Harddisk contains XP Setup Source folder and U_XP_SET folder and LiveXP BootSDI.img file
  • Run BOOT_IMG.exe to Install LiveXP BootSDI.img Image file as boot option on C-BootDrive of Harddisk

Folder U_XP_SET contains folder USB_XP_Setup with 3 Programs:
Make_USB.exe and BOOT_IMG.exe and USB_XP_Setup.exe,
which you can launch via PStart.exe from Menu.

@gvdamn
Can you indicate more specific in what stage you have problems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users